Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We've released version 7.0.2 to the members area. This is strictly a bugfix release and should be the last bugfix release until 7.1 is finished. You can see all of the fixes in the Release Notes

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
well done smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
wtg ricky wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Thanks!

O
O Offline
are there upgrade instructions for 7.0.2?

(or should that be 7.0.2.1? wink )

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
same as always
Originally Posted by Rick
Standard upgrade. Don't upload includes/, styles/ or the cache_builders/custom directories. After everything's been uploaded bring up the install/upgrade.php script that will walk you through the rest.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Hasn't the updater from UBB.threads 6.5.x to 7.0, or now 7.0.2, been changed since oktober 10th?? I seem to remember some issues where the importer could be or has been improved, but the importer has no version number or other info.

It would have helped if the importer was named something like threads_import_from_6.5.x_to_7.0.2.zip :-)

Thanks for 7.0.2 Rick!

Tjerk.

old hand
old hand
Change "had been released" to "has been..." in thread title. laugh

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
YEAHHHH btw Happy Turkey Day laugh

Happy Customer !!!
Nice job Rick!
The upgrade went super smooth as always smile
I can't wait for 7.1 the new feature list is juicy.

What would you think about releasing upgrade packs that just contain the changed files? I know its a bit more work to put that together but I think it makes it easier for people who have done a lot of changes on some templates.

I make the packs myself from the listing of change files but perhaps it could benefit a lot of people if the packs were pre-made.

K
K Offline
Originally Posted by Flyin V
What would you think about releasing upgrade packs that just contain the changed files? I know its a bit more work to put that together but I think it makes it easier for people who have done a lot of changes on some templates.

Yes it is more work for Rick and co, but UBB.threads is proprietary software and the licenses don't come cheap, so it's probably something they should look into providing for their customers.

It certainly would make things easier.

Easier still would be Subversion-based distribution, of the kind that is common in open source, non-proprietary projects. You "install" by doing a Subversion check out, customize as desired, and future upgrades are performed by doing an "svn up", which automatically merges the changes made in the new version into your local customized install.

Now I know Groupee is very unlikely to do this, but I can dream, can't I? It's an upgrade mechanism which works brilliantly for me in my Bugzilla, MediaWiki and Wordpress installs.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Upgrade packs would be a clutter if you think about it, they'd have to do one per version, major nd minor release, that alone would be a pain in just maintenanance let lone with constant updates like rick has planned...

Though I too do enjoy upgrade packs too, but most sites that supply them end up bulky and cluttered with just them :/

Also on the SVN idea, I too use these and quite enjoy them; but I've yet to see one for a commercial product lol... I think groupee does have a subversion repo of sorts in house though.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11/24/2006 5:07 PM.

I suppose as long as the list of changed files is there I can make my own packs smile Just hoping for a shortcut.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
just use beyond compare - it makes upgrading a lot easier.

Old Hand
Old Hand
yes, I agree 100%
I use it too, nearly every day. There are some other programs out there who do this. With such a tool its easy to find typo bugs or missing strings.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
just use beyond compare - it makes upgrading a lot easier.
lol I wonder how many of us also use BC lol

Of course I use a tool like that also smile
I don't know how else you can modify and keep up with the updates -- It would be hard.

I use Araxis Merge and it appears to be very similar to Beyond Compare, but I will check out Beyond Compare and see if I want to switch smile

O
O Offline
before i jump in and upgrade my 7.0 to 7.0.2, one question: will all the language edits that i have made be overwritten?

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If you let the upgrader do the language file changes for you it will only modify language strings that have been changed in the upgrade and then add any new ones.

K
K Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
If you let the upgrader do the language file changes for you it will only modify language strings that have been changed in the upgrade and then add any new ones.

I think the upgrade notes should be clarified on this respect:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

They say:

The next screen will list the changes to the language files. If you uploaded a new copy of the "languages" directory in an earlier step, click the "I have updated my language files by hand" button. Otherwise, click the "Update my language files" button.

So that is fairly, clear, but further up the page they say:

Upload all files and directories from the unzipped UBB.threads directory to the UBB.threads installation directory, except for the includes, styles, and cache_builders/custom directories.

If I understand things correctly, shouldn't that be clarified to read something like the following?

Upload all files and directories from the unzipped UBB.threads directory to the UBB.threads installation directory, except for the includes, styles, and cache_builders/custom directories. Uploading the langauges directory is optional; if you have made customizations to your languages directory in the past you can omit this step and allow UBB.threads to handle the upgrading of the files for you.

old hand
old hand
Ok, I'm just replying to this so that the Title in Most recent Post column will say "Has Been Released" not "Had Been..." laugh

(Of course as soon as someone replies to one of t he "Had Been" replies we'll be right back where we started crazy

Basil

Addict
Addict
How did it get changed to "Had Been" in the first place?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Daryl Fawcett
How did it get changed to "Had Been" in the first place?

I think that is was was originally in the first post Rick made. He later changed it to "has" but all the replies to his original still say "had". laugh

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
indeed smile

Hi, just upgraded our threads software from v7 to v7.0.2 this evening, and I came across a problem during the procedure.

The file version checking insisted that getshouts.inc.php was reporting the wrong version. I deleted it and re-uploaded it without success, and in the end I went into the file, and noticed the version number actually was wrong. So, I manually edited line 14 to:

// Script Version 7.0.2

and then everything went fine. I'm surprised nobody else encountered this issue - I downloaded the zip file this evening, so must be working from the same source as everyone else!

Anyway, as I say, seems all is working well now. smile

Addict
Addict
I haven't downloaded it yet from the Members Area, therefore, it would be nice, if that were fixed.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Neil White
I'm surprised nobody else encountered this issue

Some did wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Ah... so they did! I believe a "d'oh" is in order... blush

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
I think some of the people in this post saying that clarifying upgrade instructions is a bad idea should consider that not everyone here has their technical knowledge.

Threads is a paid-for product and a confusing upgrade process is going to turn people off. I like to be patronised when I install or upgrade something because my skills/knowledge with software installation ends with Threads and a few other simpler scripts.

For the future of this product I think it is essential that some of the upgrade and installation instructions are provided when the product is released and for all levels of knowledge.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just to clarify. The upgrade documentation will always apply to any upgrade beyond version 7. So you should always follow those. If there are any specific instructions beyond that it will show up on the first page when you run the upgrade script.

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Thanks Rick.

Do you know why I am getting this error:
http://www.teentoday.co.uk/boards/install/upgrade.php

I think it's something to do with my new web host (I've just moved) because my content islands weren't working!

Thanks,

Olly

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Sorry, they got that working. Basically I'm not trying to update the language files and getting:

Unable to proceed with language file updates. Please correct the following errors and check again at the bottom of this screen. If you are unable to correct the permissions please return to the previous step. You will need to add the new strings by hand.

Cannot create file in /home/teentoda/public_html/boards/languages/english/admin
Cannot add to files in /home/teentoda/public_html/boards/languages/english

etc.

What do I do?

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Gotta change the permissions for those folders, think they should be 777

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick, I think he's referancing the .T6/.C6 -> .T7 "upgrade"

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29