Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What or why was 4.3 the version selected? I could swear I've seen people post here that they're using UBBT 7 and are running PHP less than 4.3

What are the possible issues one might encounter by using an older version?

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
some of the new commands in php do not work in the older versions. it would essentially crash when you hit the forums..

Happy Customer !!!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But older versions was not the question. I'm saying that if someone is running 7.0, 7.01, 7.02 with an OLDER version of PHP say like 4.1 then why/what/how is it going to affect UBBT 7.x ?

Not saying why would a newer version of PHP screw up an older 6.x version.

I think he answered your question ntdoc... just needs a bit of clarification. Some of the php commands in UBB.t V7.x are not supported by older versions of PHP, and would crash the board if attempted. I don't know any more specifics than that.

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OH... I get it. Was thinking of it backwards I suppose.

Okay, but still curious though then why there are some guys running UBBT 7.x with a 4.1x PHP version.

Maybe they've just been lucky so far and not had an issue crop up.

Was just curious. I'm running PHP 5.20 on my site but if I start another board on my Linux site I don't have control of it and it is an older version. So I'll have to double check on that.

Thanks.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I think the search engine is one of the biggest - most other items should work AFAIK

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Sorry too much egg nog smile

Happy Customer !!!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
There are a few functions that require a later version. I just woke up and can't remember all of them, but I know one of them is var_export which requires at least 4.2. This is what we use to output the config file, so as soon as someone tried to update their config it would break. There are a couple that I needed 4.3 for during development, just can't remmber what the heck they are right now wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Basically, the way a minimum version is located is to lookup the various commands used via php.net, each command listed there has a minimum supported version listed; you would check each command and whichever shows the latest lifecycle (here 4.3) would be the required version.

Where it may work on older versions of php, some features will not work properly as php woudln't know what to do with the coding, and thus the feature of the forum you're trying to use woudln't work.

Note however that in most cases it woudln't "crash your forum", the feature you're trying to use just woudln't work (or at least woudln't work properly).

Also keep in mind that PHP's current version is nearing version6, if your isp is using something less than 4.3 something is way wrong, not to mention there was a fixed security isssue in 4.3 due to some bad coding on phpbb that was all the rage last year.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 875 guests, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29