Print Thread
Hop To
#187203 06/16/2007 11:10 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Hi,

In my previous forums (6.4.2) I had the ability modify someone's title. And I did, and we pretty much never utilized the post count aspect of setting the title, it was all done through admin work and denoted externally a status of belonging.

So, fast forward to now...those custom individual tags are now in the title slot, but can't be edited by me directly. Sure, I can do the custom one...

I guess what I should do is run a sql that copies the value of the title into the custom title, then either blank out the post count ones and force that through to everyone to clear it if I don't want it showing?

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Go to your CP-->profile settings-->member titles tab and at the bottom is a box to check to update member titles. This will delete all of the custom titles you had for your old board.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I realize I could do that, but I'd want them to go into the custom titles first smile

Any sql folks out there got a command that I could type in to do that?

Last edited by Bhorza; 06/17/2007 12:28 AM.
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
You would have to go database diving for that

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Bhorza
I realize I could do that, but I'd want them to go into the custom titles first smile

Any sql folks out there got a command that I could type in to do that?

Rick does not currently plan on changing that (I hope he changes his mind though as I would like to be able to access it via the CP, but I think he has upgraded the code maybe to pay more attention to the post count and update/overwrite customizations)

Maybe if enough of us complain he will re-evaluate it and make the change to support it or allow us as Admins to enable/disable post count changes to title.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
why not, he re-evaluated the need to not send pm information wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
To update everyone's custom title to their current title you can use this sql:

update ubbt_USER_PROFILE set USER_CUSTOM_TITLE = USER_TITLE

As for the change. I'm not just being stubborn because I don't want to change it. It was a change to get rid of complaints/problems/false bug reports. People would put custom titles for users, update their user titles and then overwrite all of their custom titles.

What I will be doing is making it so you can decide to display just one or the other. IE. if a user has a custom title then only the custom title would display, not just the post title and the custom title. That way it basically works as it did before, but custom titles are stored in their own field, so we don't have the problems I mentioned above.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sounds good I suppose, will have to wait and see it in practice perhaps.

Not saying you was stubborn boss wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like the comprimise; but for the record I'd like to state that you can be stubborn :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
What would be nice is the ability to force both, force one or the other, or leave it up to the user to decide if it's not forced from the admin smile

Sirdude sent me the sql I needed and I've updated it already, so thanks for that SirDude.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sirdude sent me the sql I needed

LOL - Well I need to fix a few but haven't had the time to go dumpster data diving to find the right strings. I used to have a copy installed locally I could play with but don't like messing with the live data when testing (that's how an admin took the site offline last year for about a month).

Will have to take a look at it soon though to keep a couple Admins/Mods quiet.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I hope the whole philosophy behind "custom titles" is revisited. It would be nice to have the option of having the custom title override the post-generated one. On our site, we like to give custom titles to the staff of our organization. The rest of our members have titles based on their post-count. It was really nice until the upgrade. Right now I'm forced to have to choose between the post-generated option or the custom one. Before I knew this was happening I had two "titles" under my handle name on my forum. It appeared silly. Just imagine, my title changed from "CEO" to "CEO stranger" [custom title + post generated title]. smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
well, you can have that done. it's simple mod. i'd suggest asking over at Ubbdev and it's pretty certain that some has already done it.

wink

You might even find the specific mod Here , if you dare click wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe Rick mentioned that he was going to take a look at this in the near future

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29