Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Hello with UBBthreads - inserting a photo into a post either puts a link for a pop-up or requires users to use UBB code if it is actually inserted into the post.

Three features I have not found and am looking for:

1. To be able to insert a photo into a post without the user having to know UBB or HTML code.

To auto insert the image users use the file attachment - similar to UBB - but when saved, the program automatically inserts the html/UBB code with the link of the image into the post. Users can then post text above or below. Here is the code auto inserted:

"Attached Image: [img_]http://F800Riders.org/forum/UPLOADED/Christopher/2007518141745_img007.jpg[/img_]"

FYII - I have modified the "img" tag so that you can see the code and not have the image displayed. And this applies only to images uploaded - not to image linking.

2. Have the image convert into thumb nail(s) and when clicked on it opens up a pop-up window with the full image. Meaning when users view the thread they only see the thumb but when clicked a pop-up opens with the image. Not a full page they the users have to use the browser back button to return to the forum.

See example post with multiple embedded image: http://f800riders.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2204

3. Integrated spell check.

-------
These are standard features on two other forums packages I am reviewing - and one of the major wants for forum software package.

Thank you

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
1 and 2 have been done as a mod for my favorite customer. i still need to post it over @ ubbdev

3 is also working for 7.1.1, but needs to be 7.2ised and you can look @ ubbdev for it too. it's AJAX based.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Great -

1. How do these mod's effect future upgrades i.e. 7.2 to 7.3? Do they limit or cause significant work-arounds?

2. I think I read in a thread that adding Mod's voids UBB support? Is this true?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
as with all mods, you'd need to re-mod after upgrading. most mods i do will have the new 7.x version posted, if it's worth carrying forward.

now in some cases mods become stock or modified versions do. that really depends upon the utility derived from the mod.

as to '2', i don't know that answer as i'm just a programmer dude and not so up on the legal lingo..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Christopher
I think I read in a thread that adding Mod's voids UBB support? Is this true?

Not sure but if it was my program and I was having to pay someone to support it, I wouldn't support modified code. (not at least as part of normal support, maybe paying me on top of that)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Modifying the stock code does violate your license terms to support through the support system at groupee; seeing as you already modify your forums, adding mod's from ubbdev wouldn't push that any further.

The reason for this is, at times, mods will break things, and you can't hold groupee responsible for that...

Keep in mind that 99% of any support queries you'll have will be posted here; and quite frankly, most of us are ubbdev users and could care less if you're stock or not wink.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 576 guests, and 154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29