Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Featured Member
Top Posters (30 Days)
Gizmo 9
Ruben 6
id242 4
MegaWhizz 3
Stan 2
Darryl 2
Morgan 2
sundance 2
Scotty 2
Mitch P. 2
Latest Photos
Welcome to poet
Uhm...
Mayan End of World
Gas Station Disco Video Shoot
Test Pictures
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#218970 - 11/10/08 09:24 AM Your vote counts!
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
Loc: Aberdeen, WA
Ok guys and gals. Our next version is slated to have User blogs. The version after that is slated for the UI overhaul where we'll redo the entire layout, skinning, adding updated Javascript libraries, etc. We'll stick with that if everyone wants to go that route, but here's the dilemma.

If we do blogs first and then the UI second, when we redo the UI we'll have to pretty much redo the blogs as well. Since the javascript, layout, etc. will all be changing.

If we were to do the UI first, then when we do the blogs we'll already have the new javascript libraries in place, the layout will be settled upon, etc. So, this would be the quickest overall method since there would be no backtracking.

But, the final decision will be yours. We've promised blogs for awhile now, so if you don't want to wait, then vote that way.

NOTE: Adding this on edit. If we do the UI first it will put off the blogs for awhile. The UI update will be a huge process. It might even be broken down into Control Panel first and front end second. So, if you're dying for blogs, take that into consideration.

NOTE #2: As of Nov, 23rd, blogs won, so this will be the route we'll go
Which comes first
Only one choice allowed (133 total votes)
Blogs First! - 67 (50%)
UI First! - 66 (50%)
Voting on this poll ends: 11/10/08 09:23 AM

Edited by Rick (11/24/08 08:41 AM)
Express Hosting
Express Hosting "We are the official hosting company of UBB.threads. Ask us about our free migration services to migrate your UBB.threads installation."
#218982 - 11/10/08 10:12 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
JAISP Offline
old hand
You know....

.... I bought a 3rd UBB license as it was said many tines that the blogs were coming shortly. I also bought an upgrade license for another copy as to have two UBB communities running blogs.

Looks like by the time the blogs come out I'm going to have to spend more money for upgrade licenses to get what I really wanted in the first place.

I understand your intent and need to upgrade the CP but hell man I'm loosing money here. Lets get out what you were saying your were coming out with.
#218983 - 11/10/08 10:24 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: JAISP]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
I totally understand. We've been promising just as long that we'd have a better UI and new/updated Javascript libraries. Either way, one of these things is going to have to wait.

I've always said that I'll listen to what you guys want, so the only real/fair way I can do this is to leave the decision up to you guys.
#218984 - 11/10/08 10:34 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
Flaming Carrot Offline
journeyman
Loc: United Kingdom
Does the UI update mean you will be moving away from table based layouts to a css based approach? Hope so.
#218987 - 11/10/08 11:23 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Flaming Carrot]
Island Piper Offline
Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.

I'm sure there are valid reasons, I just can't seem to get my head around what they might be.
#218988 - 11/10/08 11:25 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Flaming Carrot]
Fishtails Offline
journeyman
Loc: Florida
Been a threads user since the wwwthreads days. I would like to see the blogs first. As far as the layout is concerned, what kind of layout are we talking about? I still prefer the old layout of the 6.x series

Attachments
threadslayout.JPG

Description: Layout preference with the old nav

#218989 - 11/10/08 11:49 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Fishtails]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
The UI overhaul should end up with a flexible layout. Right now, you can fairly easily change the colors, but the overall layout still looks pretty much the same.

What we hope to achieve with the new UI would be a skinning mechanism where skins not only include colors and css settings but template changes as well. So, if you prefer the old 6.x look, it would be possible to create a skin with that look. It will also be possible to create PDA skins that people have been requesting as well.

As for the table-less question. That's what I'm hoping for, but at this point it's up in the air, there still may be some tables, but we definitely hope to cut down and control more with a CSS approach.
#218993 - 11/10/08 11:59 AM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
I should also note on this. With the UI update, we'll be totally overhauling the user profile as well. Once that is done adding blogs to that functionality will be fairly simple. So, blogs could be included in the actual release that contains the front end overhaul, or will come shortly thereafter, if we were to go with the UI update first.
#219001 - 11/10/08 12:43 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
JAISP Offline
old hand
I do not wish to complain but I would like to personally see some of the hacks that have been around for a long time through many different releases and updated for pretty much every release for a long period of time added into the released general product.

Example:

Multiple Identity Detection

Center Island Option (Left / Right / Center) This would be great for the who is online and other islands.

Ability to set how many users are shown on the Who's online box.

And many more.

The problem is that these type things are popular and every time you update your board then your without certain options that were hacked into the software you have to wait for the new release of the hack or hope that the old one will work in the new release and spend tons of time placing popular hacks into the program.

Most all of this is control panel related.
#219002 - 11/10/08 12:47 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
Fishtails Offline
journeyman
Loc: Florida
If a UI overhaul wins out, do you have an estimated time frame?
#219003 - 11/10/08 12:49 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: JAISP]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
Originally Posted By: Thelockman
I do not wish to complain but I would like to personally see some of the hacks that have been around for a long time through many different releases and updated for pretty much every release for a long period of time added into the released general product.

I try and add a couple each version. We added a few last version, and we'll add a few more next version.
#219004 - 11/10/08 12:52 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Fishtails]
Rick Offline
Post-a-holic
Originally Posted By: Fishtails
If a UI overhaul wins out, do you have an estimated time frame?

Haven't a clue at this point. It's a pretty big task. All new javascript libraries, scriptalicious or YUI (possibly YUI because I'm more familiar with it working on a few other things). So all the javascript related stuff will be redone, while adding new things, lightbox, WYSIWYG editor, etc.

Then there's the layout itself, moving towards more CSS control, coming up with the new skinning system, etc.

That's why we might brake it down into 2 chunks. Control Panel first, and then front end second.

Once we find out for sure which way we're going, then we'll get a better plan of attack.
#219006 - 11/10/08 01:08 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: JAISP]
Island Piper Offline
Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: Thelockman

Ability to set how many users are shown on the Who's online box.

This one is now in v7.4 under "portal settings"
#219007 - 11/10/08 01:16 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Rick]
Pink Jazz Offline
enthusiast
Loc: Rio Rancho, NM
I vote for the new UI. As I said in a previous thread, any UI redesign should be named UBB.threads 8.0. Blogs can then be added in 8.1.
#219009 - 11/10/08 01:57 PM Re: Your vote counts! [Re: Pink Jazz]
Yarp™ Offline

Loc: Breda, NL
I voted UI first, because of the simple fact I see no usage of blogging yet for our site.

Moderator:  AllenAyres, Ian, Ron M 
Shout Box

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
7.5.8 Dutch language pack
by Marcel
09/26/14 02:12 PM
I need to edit "Thank you for registering at " email file,
by sundance
09/25/14 12:38 PM
PM box set-up