Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#218970 11/10/2008 11:24 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok guys and gals. Our next version is slated to have User blogs. The version after that is slated for the UI overhaul where we'll redo the entire layout, skinning, adding updated Javascript libraries, etc. We'll stick with that if everyone wants to go that route, but here's the dilemma.

If we do blogs first and then the UI second, when we redo the UI we'll have to pretty much redo the blogs as well. Since the javascript, layout, etc. will all be changing.

If we were to do the UI first, then when we do the blogs we'll already have the new javascript libraries in place, the layout will be settled upon, etc. So, this would be the quickest overall method since there would be no backtracking.

But, the final decision will be yours. We've promised blogs for awhile now, so if you don't want to wait, then vote that way.

NOTE: Adding this on edit. If we do the UI first it will put off the blogs for awhile. The UI update will be a huge process. It might even be broken down into Control Panel first and front end second. So, if you're dying for blogs, take that into consideration.

NOTE #2: As of Nov, 23rd, blogs won, so this will be the route we'll go
Which comes first
single choice
Blogs First! (50%, 67 Votes)
UI First! (50%, 66 Votes)
Total Votes: 133
Voting on this poll ends: 11/10/2008 11:23 AM

Last edited by Rick; 11/24/2008 10:41 AM.
Rick #218982 11/10/2008 12:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
You know....

.... I bought a 3rd UBB license as it was said many tines that the blogs were coming shortly. I also bought an upgrade license for another copy as to have two UBB communities running blogs.

Looks like by the time the blogs come out I'm going to have to spend more money for upgrade licenses to get what I really wanted in the first place.

I understand your intent and need to upgrade the CP but hell man I'm loosing money here. Lets get out what you were saying your were coming out with.

JAISP #218983 11/10/2008 12:24 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I totally understand. We've been promising just as long that we'd have a better UI and new/updated Javascript libraries. Either way, one of these things is going to have to wait.

I've always said that I'll listen to what you guys want, so the only real/fair way I can do this is to leave the decision up to you guys.

Rick #218984 11/10/2008 12:34 PM
F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Does the UI update mean you will be moving away from table based layouts to a css based approach? Hope so.

I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.

I'm sure there are valid reasons, I just can't seem to get my head around what they might be.

journeyman
journeyman
Been a threads user since the wwwthreads days. I would like to see the blogs first. As far as the layout is concerned, what kind of layout are we talking about? I still prefer the old layout of the 6.x series
Attachments
threadslayout.JPG

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The UI overhaul should end up with a flexible layout. Right now, you can fairly easily change the colors, but the overall layout still looks pretty much the same.

What we hope to achieve with the new UI would be a skinning mechanism where skins not only include colors and css settings but template changes as well. So, if you prefer the old 6.x look, it would be possible to create a skin with that look. It will also be possible to create PDA skins that people have been requesting as well.

As for the table-less question. That's what I'm hoping for, but at this point it's up in the air, there still may be some tables, but we definitely hope to cut down and control more with a CSS approach.

Rick #218993 11/10/2008 1:59 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I should also note on this. With the UI update, we'll be totally overhauling the user profile as well. Once that is done adding blogs to that functionality will be fairly simple. So, blogs could be included in the actual release that contains the front end overhaul, or will come shortly thereafter, if we were to go with the UI update first.

Rick #219001 11/10/2008 2:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I do not wish to complain but I would like to personally see some of the hacks that have been around for a long time through many different releases and updated for pretty much every release for a long period of time added into the released general product.

Example:

Multiple Identity Detection

Center Island Option (Left / Right / Center) This would be great for the who is online and other islands.

Ability to set how many users are shown on the Who's online box.

And many more.

The problem is that these type things are popular and every time you update your board then your without certain options that were hacked into the software you have to wait for the new release of the hack or hope that the old one will work in the new release and spend tons of time placing popular hacks into the program.

Most all of this is control panel related.

Rick #219002 11/10/2008 2:47 PM
journeyman
journeyman
If a UI overhaul wins out, do you have an estimated time frame?

JAISP #219003 11/10/2008 2:49 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Thelockman
I do not wish to complain but I would like to personally see some of the hacks that have been around for a long time through many different releases and updated for pretty much every release for a long period of time added into the released general product.

I try and add a couple each version. We added a few last version, and we'll add a few more next version.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Fishtails
If a UI overhaul wins out, do you have an estimated time frame?

Haven't a clue at this point. It's a pretty big task. All new javascript libraries, scriptalicious or YUI (possibly YUI because I'm more familiar with it working on a few other things). So all the javascript related stuff will be redone, while adding new things, lightbox, WYSIWYG editor, etc.

Then there's the layout itself, moving towards more CSS control, coming up with the new skinning system, etc.

That's why we might brake it down into 2 chunks. Control Panel first, and then front end second.

Once we find out for sure which way we're going, then we'll get a better plan of attack.

JAISP #219006 11/10/2008 3:08 PM
Originally Posted by Thelockman
Ability to set how many users are shown on the Who's online box.

This one is now in v7.4 under "portal settings"

Rick #219007 11/10/2008 3:16 PM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
I vote for the new UI. As I said in a previous thread, any UI redesign should be named UBB.threads 8.0. Blogs can then be added in 8.1.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I voted UI first, because of the simple fact I see no usage of blogging yet for our site.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #219014 11/10/2008 5:02 PM
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I voted for UI as it would logical to do it right the first time, this way there will be less of a chance for bugs on the blogs

I voted for UI because I'm very skeptical about the need for blogs in UBB.

I feel if blogs are not going to give our users a compelling reason to use them over competing free blog platforms then there is no point in offering them.

They got to be at least as functional as Blogger and wordpress.com in terms of customization. We're not just talking about colors, layout, etc. Users demand the ability to add widgets to their blogs that use flash and JavaScript and unfortunately that could present a security headache for us admins. So I think there will also need to be some type of moderation or approval process so that our users could add their own js/flash widgets to the blog.

Lets start thinking about this problem and how it can be overcome. Otherwise, frankly, I don't feel its worth doing. Why would they use it? They'll just continue using Blogger, Wordpress, MySpace, and the hundreds of other free blogging platforms.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz
I vote for the new UI. As I said in a previous thread, any UI redesign should be named UBB.threads 8.0. Blogs can then be added in 8.1.
I agree completely, it'd be a major change in need of a major version update.

Oh and for note Riok, I still recommend scriptalicious over YUI; all yahoo would have to do is impliment api keys and we'd have a huge headache with forum admin's and non functioning forums until they went and signed up for a key lol...

I think IanSpence and SD concourr wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #219023 11/10/2008 6:43 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh, and for note, I was the first vote for Blogs tongue... I figured, sure it may be more work, but it'd be in place to get started tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #219026 11/10/2008 7:03 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Oh and for note Riok, I still recommend scriptalicious over YUI; all yahoo would have to do is impliment api keys and we'd have a huge headache with forum admin's and non functioning forums until they went and signed up for a key lol...

I think IanSpence and SD concourr wink

If we were to use their CDN, which is an option, then I could see that being an issue. But, we'd be including the libraries with the software since they are released under a BSD license. So nobody's forum is just going to stop functioning.

In most cases it's going to be faster to reference their CDN for the framework, but we'll put in an option so it can either be grabbed from them or from the UBB install. So, even if you're using their CDN and they put in an extra hurdle to jump through, then it would just be a matter of switching to grabbing it locally.

Also, I've already done several projects with YUI and 0 with scriptalicious. So the learning curve has already been hurdled wink

Rick #219027 11/10/2008 7:14 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> sd has a bunch of mods in script; wonder what he has in yui :x

Gizmo #219036 11/10/2008 11:16 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I voted UI....not that have a clue "how" you guys go about doing the things you do to make this stuff work. smile I simply voted on the fact that Rick said the blogs would be much simpler and easier to "plug in" if he did the UI first....so....imagining how time consuming and mind boggling some of this may be, I suggest doing the major overhaul first then doing the "add ons"....my .02

www.carolinasoutdoor.com
Hunting and Fishing the Carolinas
Rick #219040 11/11/2008 2:14 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
I would like to see the daily digest feature restored.

Rick #219042 11/11/2008 2:49 AM
stranger
stranger
Hi there,

I voted to UI , I am very sorry to go far from the main aim of this topic which is choosing between two options ,

But for me, I it will be good thinking if you give a third options which is improving the speed/response of UBB script like:

- Overall Tunning, DB normalization , Code normalization.

Please see my suggestions here :

Click here

Hope that redoing the UI is not meaning of Template and Designs only, we need to see our UBB faster than now.

Thank you
AlNadabi

"The Simple Life always walks smoothly, so to make your life smooth, keep every things simple in your life"
AlNadabi
=================
D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
I don't see why you want to implement blogs in UBB unless they're an import of Wordpress or Blogger blogs which are the market leaders.
Why re-invent the wheel?

I still can't believe that LDAP Authentication has not been implemented. Large organizations hate having separate databases of users which is a reason they choose not to buy UBB.

According to Rick from '07
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/182907/Rick.html#Post182907
"At this time, we do not [support ldap]. It's something we've had on our todo list for quite some time, but always gets pushed back because the demand for it has been fairly minimal."

Now's an ideal time!

dmol #219051 11/11/2008 9:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Island Piper
I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I see no usage of blogging yet for our site.
Originally Posted by usrbingeek
I'm very skeptical about the need for blogs in UBB.
Originally Posted by dmol
I don't see why you want to implement blogs in UBB unless they're an import of Wordpress or Blogger blogs which are the market leaders.

Well I may see your point in some ways but not all ways here with your comment about blogs. This is all fine and dandy and if you do not wish to use blogs that is your choice.

A while back I was totally satisfied with UBB.Classic and have watched Gizmo post down in the Classic area boasting to get Threads. I fired a few comments at him as I Love threads. I had been looking for blogs in my Beagle community for some time back then as well. I had seen the conversations by Rick telling that blogs were coming very soon. I was so happy I bought yet a third UBB license. Yippie.

Why do I need blogs with my UBB? Well now that is a great question in it self. My communities are designed to discuss them selves and their Beagles. I have a new community about racing, same thing but Cars not beagles.

My community is designed that each person has a story and would like to show off their beagle. What would be a great way to have a short little space to do this incorporated with their registration? Why a BLOG.

I understand most of YOUR communities are not oriented like my communities however perhaps you my wish to understand how OTHER communities are structured and run before making statements like, "I don't really understand what the purpose/desire is to having blogging capability in a forum software.", "I'm very skeptical about the need for blogs in UBB.", or "I don't see why you want to implement blogs in UBB unless they're an import of Wordpress or Blogger blogs which are the market leaders."

Well. I'm not a market leader so perhaps I shouldn't have a community online right?

Anyway here is my statement from the other side of the fence, "If you actually had a totally family oriented interactive site I can't see why you would be running without blogs in your community."

Yes that was quite harsh and it was meant to be in a way however you really shouldn't speak for others as I shouldn't speak for your community.

Originally Posted by Rick
#165866 - Thu Oct 12 2006 11:01 AM

I can't recommend anything personally because I've never used any, but..... This is something on the slate for the next version or two. Not giving out any top secret plans but, basically we want to add in some type of builit in payment processing and then then we'd like to add this in as a user feature. One of those things where if an admin wanted to they could charge for it and enable it on a per user basis and the blog would be available in the user's profile.

Blogs have been a long time coming. It wouldn't be very nice to keep delaying them to those users who have wanted them for a long time. To go to a third party blog software and then hack it to use the current UBB member database and such would be a real pain in the rear and totally unnecessary as blogs were discussed as far back as 2006, it is almost 2009.

#166094 - Sat Oct 14 2006 10:54 AM

lol. Basically I say the next version or two on some of these is because I don't know what's going to make it into the next version or two exactly. The big ticket things at this point would be: some sort of captcha, photo gallery forums, user blogs and payment processing (paypal at the minimum). Sprinkle those in with all the smaller things that need to be done, and you get my point. I don't want to be a year in between releases, rather would like to have at least a couple feature releases per year. So it's pick and choose which ones get in.

Well, thats my rant for today, LOL.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
If you are looking at new script libraries for the UI overhaul then jQuery is a great option. Just moved to using it instead of Mootools and some of the plugins are really swish.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I chose "blogs" because the UI overhaul is gonna take a while...

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
While the need for blogs might not seem like a big issue, we cater to all sizes of communities. It's true, our blog implementation is going to be basic at best, especially compared to true blogging systems, even more so in our initial release. But it will still be useful on many sites.

It's somewhat like our photo galleries. Software that is strictly dedicated to photo galleries is always going to be better, but ours serves a purpose and is quite useful for many sites.

Our initial implementation is really just going to be an extended profile page. It's not actually going to take a long time to complete. Just the ability for certain groups to create blogs that will show in their profile, where other users can comment on them. Like I said, quite basic for our initial release, but we'll go from there.

Allen is also right in the fact that the UI overhaul is a big project. Not quite as daunting as when we worked on 7.0, but still a pretty big task, so it's going to take quite a while. Pretty sure we'll split it into two releases, with the first one covering the control panel.

Rick #219065 11/11/2008 11:06 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I plan to use the blogs feature as a 'mobblog' for all users on the site who've reached a certain number of posts - really, not much more than setting a particular forum to post to the portal and allowing trusted users to start new topics in that forum. Update a few things in profiles to highlight recent new topics and voila! smile

Because a couple forums have moved to table-less design we have an idea of where to go, but the re-design of the front end is gonna be a huge project - what browsers do we support would be the first question smile

- Allen
Rick #219066 11/11/2008 11:08 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Allen is also right in the fact that the UI overhaul is a big project. Not quite as daunting as when we worked on 7.0, but still a pretty big task, so it's going to take quite a while. Pretty sure we'll split it into two releases, with the first one covering the control panel.

eek I hope this doesn't take the years of 7.0 wink

- Allen
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
No no no wink That's why we'll split it into 2 steps. I think splitting it, we should still be able to follow a normal release cycle.

Rick #219071 11/11/2008 1:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I donno what is concerned a small or large community but we do a few hundred posts a day. We also have many many users surfing our site that do not register. The traffic is pretty much 10% registered and the other 90% just surfing the site never registered.

We serve like a million and a half pages a month from that site. I guess this is considered a small community as were just a non corporate entity on the internet. I'm also sure if we were a corporation then we, with the same stats, would be considered a large community.

JAISP #219073 11/11/2008 1:15 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just an FYI, my comment about having customers with different size communities, wasn't meant as a dig on smaller ones. Doesn't matter to me if you get 1 post a day or a thousand. Everyone has an equal voice in this.

Rick #219074 11/11/2008 2:00 PM
No no no wink That's why we'll split it into 2 steps. I think splitting it, we should still be able to follow a normal release cycle.

Rick what is the time duration of a normal release cycle anyway?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #219075 11/11/2008 2:15 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The goal is a feature release to be about every 3-4 months. We've gotten off that cycle a couple times by trying to cram too much into a release, but that's the timeframe we try and shoot for anyways.

Rick #219085 11/11/2008 5:20 PM
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I voted for UI before reading through this topic. It really doesn't matter to me either way. My users aren't interested in blogs since my main forum is just a small personal site with a few friends logging in. They are interested in having an integrated chat page as am I. I also want to echo Allen's request for moblogging being integrated, that's one of my favorite features at the Groupee.com mothership.

Personally, I think we we should go with the blogging for those of us owners that want to better monetize their forums with that feature. And maybe throw in a moblog system and chat to round it out before tackling a major UI overhaul.

Rick #219095 11/11/2008 7:40 PM
F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
I voted blogs, since I want to offer blog service already for some time to my users. I can work out a partnership or buy yet another software, but them I'm stuck with two member databases. Not very user friendly neither. It's easy for them if they can jump from forum to blog and vice versa.
Why offering blog service? To create loyalty, make sure they always come back, to generate inbound links (SEO) and MONETIZE my forum. My site and forum is focused to women. They want easy tools, they don't want to setup complicated software.
Another example is a website in our country with a mix between regular site, forum AND blog. It drives traffic like hell, and advertisers!

Veteran
Veteran
femistyle you are exactly correct. For me it is all about the money. The more traffic the more money I make from my communities.

Now this does not sound like a community oriented type thing but in the near future I will post a photo in the gallery to show that I have a few bucks tied up not only in software but hardware.

I see very few people in here that actually run their own servers and or have the ability to do so. My foremost community is not only a way to generate traffic to gain exposure for my advertising to generate income but demonstrate what my systems can do for those who wish to park their sites in my home, yes I meant all this is in my home.

JAISP #219105 11/12/2008 4:39 AM
I vote for Blogs although i can clearly see the appeal/need for a UI overhaul.

For me having integrated bloggs would do away with the need of having multiple sites catering for both needs.

I've experimented with some other software integration to merge ubb with cms / blogging software, but i could never get around the multiple login issues (php is not my native language).

I wont be disappointed if UI gets the nod over Blogs, but Blogs gets my vote.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29