Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
V Offline
New problem with the new MindRaven hosting.

Members are getting the following from time to time. Any idea why?

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.
Apache/2.0.64 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.64 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_jk/1.2.30 mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at www.vaguntrader.com Port 80

M
M Offline
Looks like they are dinging active sites on shared hosting accounts.

It is very common for shared hosting accounts to limit how many computer resources (CPU time and memory) a site uses. Otherwise a very active site could negatively impact other sites on the server.

The big question is how restrictive are they being.

An unscrupulous host will get REAL picky in an attempt to corral a site owner into a more expensive hosting plan, or even a dedicated server.

Of course, I have no idea at all if MindRaven is being fair or not. However, the fact that you have noticed sites banging their head against a limit that seems not to of been there before is an indication that they changed something. We can only guess as to a motive.

M
M Offline
Just looked at your site. Considering that you have 12 pages worth of Active Topics in the last 24 hours indicates a very active forum.

Perhaps Rick was being really lenient and letting your site use up a lot of resources as he might not of had too many sites running on the server.

Now that there is a new owner, it just might be that they are only enforcing a normal resource limit and you are hitting your head against it from time to time.

addict
addict
Try www.vertexhost.com They specialize in UBB hosting and offer excellent customer service and their rates are very competitive.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
old hand
old hand
Is that Josh's hosting?

I too, am getting my forum shut down due to lack of resources...

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
I have not been shut off as I know it but since the mindraven change and server migration from ruby to foxy.
They can't get ImageMagick to work. So I had to revert to GD2.
And my server status keeps going over 2.9 of a 4 cpu usage limit. Which results in a warning message. And I am talking a low volume site.
6 spiders and two members one guest.
When Rick was running the site it was never over 1.
Well once I read 2. But there were a lot of spiders on the site at the time.

If it were not for just renewing a annual fee in October I would have moved already.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
M
M Offline
As a side note...

When I started my forum, I had a shared hosting account. There came a time when it became somewhat active and I started getting rather polite "nasty-grams" from my host informing me that the site was in violation of my TOS due to resource usage.

That is, they started out polite. However, within a short amount of time they become a tad bit more insistent and they started shutting off the site when loads hit some threshold.

That was when I went to a dedicated server.

I never had ads on my site prior to this, but had to do something to cover the cost of the server. So I created a Google AdSense account and within a very short time, my site was more than paying the bills.

The moral of this little story is that if your forums become active enough that you are getting grief from your host, it very well may be time to go to a dedicated server.

It kind of freaks me out that VaGunTrader has no ads. Dude! You are sitting on a freaking gold-mine. The ads do not have to be overly obtrusive and you will STILL rake in some serious coin.

Here's the rub...

If you go with a dedicated server... It's ALL you.

Meaning that you require a much larger skill set to manage your server than it takes to simply run a forum.

It's a question of how much do you know now and how much are you willing to learn. The learning curve can be steep. Still, it can be a fun and rewarding experience.

I love the fact that I can do any damn thing I want with my server and I can start and run as many sites as I please at no additional cost.

Just a thought. wink

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stan
Is that Josh's hosting?

I too, am getting my forum shut down due to lack of resources...

Stan, it was, but I don't know if he's still involved in it or not. I usually deal with Billy when I have an issue and if he's not available the other guys have been very quick to respond to any issue I had. I needed some software installed so I could start setting up a video streaming site and they had it done in just a few hours. Now if I could just find out why nothing is being saved..LOL. But that's not a server issue but rather something I've missed in a config file.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
V
V Offline
Originally Posted by Mike L
As a side note...

When I started my forum, I had a shared hosting account. There came a time when it became somewhat active and I started getting rather polite "nasty-grams" from my host informing me that the site was in violation of my TOS due to resource usage.

That is, they started out polite. However, within a short amount of time they become a tad bit more insistent and they started shutting off the site when loads hit some threshold.

That was when I went to a dedicated server.

I never had ads on my site prior to this, but had to do something to cover the cost of the server. So I created a Google AdSense account and within a very short time, my site was more than paying the bills.

The moral of this little story is that if your forums become active enough that you are getting grief from your host, it very well may be time to go to a dedicated server.

It kind of freaks me out that VaGunTrader has no ads. Dude! You are sitting on a freaking gold-mine. The ads do not have to be overly obtrusive and you will STILL rake in some serious coin.

Here's the rub...

If you go with a dedicated server... It's ALL you.

Meaning that you require a much larger skill set to manage your server than it takes to simply run a forum.

It's a question of how much do you know now and how much are you willing to learn. The learning curve can be steep. Still, it can be a fun and rewarding experience.

I love the fact that I can do any damn thing I want with my server and I can start and run as many sites as I please at no additional cost.

Just a thought. wink

are you talking about having my own server or subscribing to a dedicated server?

V
V Offline
well, here are the following emails....and by the way, I'm still having this problem

We have done some modification on the server for your account, normally you should not receive this error again.

Thank you.

I have assigned this ticket to Israel. Please stand by until further updates.

The problem come from our CloudLinux system, i'm awaiting a response from the technician of Cloudlinux with the fix for this problem.

Thanks for your patience.

We are currently performing modifications into the Cloudlinux system. We will perform a reboot at 5:00 PM UTC-5 (Eastern Time). The reboot should normally last about 3 or 4 minutes and everything should be solved after that.

Thank you.

M
M Offline
VaGunTrader,

From how I interpret your question, I am talking about subscribing to one. Meaning that the host owns the server and you are basically renting its use. For intents and purposes it is your own server.

There is another option where you do actually own the physical server. It's called Co-location. That is where the host will house your server in their data center and provide the connection to the internet.

In the dedicated server realm, there are often two choices. Managed and Non-managed.

I was referring to a non-managed dedicated server. That is where you are the admin of the server and thus you are responsible for maintaining it.

For a managed server, you still have the full resources of the server for your use. The distinction is that the host will maintain it. Such an account will cost considerably more.

For non-dedicated servers, there are various "Control Panels" available that takes a lot of the bite out of managing a server. C-Panel and Plesk chief amongst them. These products are designed to allow lessor knowledgeable people perform the common tasks of maintaining a server. i.e. Creating new domains, setting up your DNS, creating e-mail accounts and such.

Still, there is more to running things than just maintaining your forums.

Glad to see that Mindraven is at least promising a remedy to your problem. Hope it resolves itself.

V
V Offline
I know nothing about managing a server so I'd have to pay to have it done.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by VaGunTrader
I know nothing about managing a server so I'd have to pay to have it done.
It's really not that hard once it's setup; just run updates every so often via ssh... What is a pain in the butt is if you don't keep things updated (a lot of the time just normal user scripts installed on yoru site) you're responsible for cleaning up the mess...

I was managing 18 servers at the old webhost I used to work at (was let go due to "restructuring" unfortunately) on my own.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Looks like they are dinging active sites on shared hosting accounts.

It is very common for shared hosting accounts to limit how many computer resources (CPU time and memory) a site uses. Otherwise a very active site could negatively impact other sites on the server.

The big question is how restrictive are they being.

An unscrupulous host will get REAL picky in an attempt to corral a site owner into a more expensive hosting plan, or even a dedicated server.

Of course, I have no idea at all if MindRaven is being fair or not. However, the fact that you have noticed sites banging their head against a limit that seems not to of been there before is an indication that they changed something. We can only guess as to a motive.

Hello,

We can assure you that these restrictions are not a marketing strategy to offer our dedicated solutions, we have implemented technology CloudLinux to protect each of our customers from problems that another site on the server may cause.

Our semi-dedicated solutions are limited to 80% for one core and 1GB ram. This way, we can accommodate up to 8 clients per server and we are confident that no overselling is done on our servers.

In the case of vaguntrader, the site requires much more resources, we had to increase its resources and increase to 2 cores which mean that on this server does not host more than seven semi-dedicated customers.

We are not here to make more money, we charge almost never to make change on service to our customers and we always do our best to satisfy our customers.

The satisfaction of our customers is a priority, we apologize for customers who have had this problem of limited reach but know that without this system, we can not guarantee the same quality of service that you have right now!

V
V Offline
I'll have to say that these problems were responded to quickly and were dealt with quickly, and I was kept up to date as the problems were being addressed.........thanks !!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29