Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Featured Member
Top Posters (30 Days)
Gizmo 18
Ruben 14
John West 12
Darryl 6
id242 4
Morgan 4
driv 4
capnbob 4
Conrad 4
SD 3
Latest Photos
Welcome to poet
Uhm...
Mayan End of World
Gas Station Disco Video Shoot
Test Pictures
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#247364 - 12/21/11 01:44 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Loc: SoCal, USA
Feature: Portal enhancement

The Portal has really never gotten any love at all. The middle column was perty much fixed with only 1 option: what forums to grab 'news posts' from.

That was it frown

Until now! wink

I added a Middle column option in the portal layout:

If any islands are selected, they will be shown before any news items. This allows for an endless number of ways to feed content to the middle column.

Example below, is just my grabbing the "Nivo Slider" jQuery plugin and slamming it in a custom island.

With custom islands, you can pull in Rss feeds, Popular topics, have a wide shoutbox only on the portal...

Really, the possibilities are endless..

There is much more to do in future versions, but it makes sense to at least give this little bit of love to the current portal page for now..

smile

Check out the demo of a quickie nivo slider Here

Threads tutorials . Threads & Wordpress experts . UBB resume

If I you, click this link as to why
Express Hosting
Express Hosting "We are the official hosting company of UBB.threads. Ask us about our free migration services to migrate your UBB.threads installation."
#247456 - 12/26/11 02:19 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature: Forum Display options

These have always been a little used and kinda added clutter to the bottom of the forum display.

The form was perty ugly and wasn't even put on 1 line to save vertical space, at least.

Well, now it is added as a tab / hidden div that slides out upon click.

Here is the tab, sitting under the last post in the forum list.

Clicking on it, reveals the form, to change your prefs, like it always did.

Clicking on the tab again, hides it, or you can click 'Change' and preferences will be changed _AND_ it will be hidden on auto refresh.

#247522 - 12/28/11 12:42 AM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature(s) - Editpost, approvepost, deletepost

The code for these 3 functions were spread out over too many files to reliably manage. I've now made all the editors and positions of the buttons consistent.

A ton of code cleanup was done ( cleaned out a ton of obsolete code ). Security holes were fixed and common functions ( validation / permissioning ) were used to ensure consistency and non-corrupt databases.

The number of things that could potentially go wrong are too long to list here, but we now have a more solid foundation.

To take just edit post for an example: the total code size in 756 was 29K.. now with the combined / cleaner code, it is 17K and does fewer unnecessary queries as well.

Smaller things, like LOCKING THE TOPIC that is about to be deleted have also been added. Before, there was a chance that a use could be replying to a topic that was about to go gonzo and produce a post that was an orphan.

( the same idea / cleanup has been applied to deleting a user -- 756 leaves stray unhooked PMs from users -- spammers -- who get deleted ) This happens on this forum all the time and is very annoying! wink

Anyway, for many forums, there is a desire to only make the topic subject be the subject for all replies after that. Some people change the subject and especially in flat mode, it makes no sense at all.

There is now a way to configure the board to disallow this:

When a user edits any reply, they just see the subject and cannot change it.

All of the save buttons go thru a common fadeout message as well..

I really should post another 10 screens here to show all the possibilities, but this should just be considered a template for all editors now with the buttons right below the editor.

Additionally all templates are chock full of CSS goodness for the stylers to go crazy with..

#247534 - 12/29/11 02:41 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature: editor text area, autogrow

In the past, we had the two up / down buttons to grow/shrink the text area for the editor:

This is not needed anymore, since the text area autogrows as needed.

the buttons are removed to also clean up the markup bar.

The above picture is hard to show what it does, but as you approach the end of the editor and need more lines, the jQuery plugin will increase the height as needed.

It also won't interfere with any browsers who have the handle enabled ( firefox, chrome etc ), but just be an extra along for the ride.

-- This is all part of the editor cleanup / standardization --

#247660 - 01/05/12 10:55 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Captcha preview in Admin cpanel

This has always been lacking, since an admin should at least see if captcha works and which one to use has a preview

Additionally the ImageMagick code had bugs in it that has now been cleaned up.

All code has been merged into one file, since the lib directory file was only used by 1 file. Dunno, why that was ever done.

The angles used to distort the letters were also relaxed a bit from some of the extremes that were in there before. This still maintains needing a human to decipher, but at least gives the poor bashtids a chance to even read the letters laugh

Additionally ( i think i already mentioned before ), there is a fallback to GD, as default, if nothing is initialized.

#247662 - 01/06/12 02:28 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature: do what forum permissions say you can do

Specifically for gallery forums.

If polls are allowed in replies ( by group, forum ), then allow a poll.
If polls are allowed in topics ( by group, forum ), then allow a poll in the topic.

Don't prevent images in replies to galleries, if the IMG tag is enabled. No reason not to.

Selecting a reply icon is allowed. why prevent it?

Essentially, all but the 1st POST in a gallery topic is treated special. IE: uploading attachments as gallery images.

Otherwise, it is regular from that point on.

Additionally, there is no need to have a special template for the replies to a gallery. I now share the common template that showflat uses for the replies.

#247679 - 01/07/12 03:09 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature - Approve topics option added where needed

In the past, it has been cumbersome, to say the least to approve topics from withing a forum, without having to go to the Admin control panel or use inline moderation.

Even with inline moderation, you never got to read the post 1st, then decide, without having to hit the back button etc etc.

Bottom line: too many clicks required, for something that can be made easier.

Enter: 'Approve Topic' from the manage topic

Clicking on manage topic now yields the option

You can also edit the topic as before......

...., but the moderator options are brought up into the same line with the other ones.

Thanks to Ruben for mentioning this...

#247750 - 01/09/12 02:12 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Feature - moved the welcome stuff on breadcrumb bar to it's own place

The welcome area, where you see 'Welcome SD' and change mood and logout has been moved to it's own area.

It does a tag team with the Login Tab ( mentioned earlier in this thread )

See below for ubb stock ( no changes to style ) look:

When you are logged out, the standard login/register tab appears as before ( picture below shows the slider in the down position ):

The 'My Stuff' menu has been moved over there as well, including the notifications ( PM indicator )

Picture below for sd-dark_doom theme:

#248209 - 01/27/12 08:47 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
A huge effort has gone into rewriting the look / feel of what i'd call the 'search results group'. This group consists of:

• Active topics, posts, unanswered
  • Watched forums, topics, users
  • Search results
  • User Posts, Topics

They all share a common template now, so we will see consistency going forward
Five columns ( 1 optional is the left most one, depending )

Based upon how you have your preferences set, you will see a preview under the topic subject or on hover.

Also, the various sub-options are now tabs, which make it more intuitive. shown below are the three active ( topics, posts, unanswered ) tabs

Also, below each set of results are the buttons and pagination. Before they were all over the place and your guess was as good as mine as to where they were and why.

You can select how you want to see your preview.

1. nothing at all 2. inline underneath 3. on hover over the subject ( after a delay now )

When you hover, a tooltip is shown with a short delay. The tooltip tracks the mouse and goes away when not hovering.

This tooltip is much more friendly ( optional, btw ) then the one i originally coded up for 7.3

Tooltips can be up to 8 different styles and the admin can select what color / look, they desire to be tied to each style ( colors, light, dark etc )

You additionally have a class ( new ) called tooltip-extra, that allows you the admin / css god to override the base styles and roll your own for each style.

So there are no limits, except for knowing CSS laugh

I've also removed popup_content_header and popup_content, since they aren't needed anymore in the style.

They won't hurt anything, if they are in your style, but will be removed after the 1st time you edit.

No harm, no foul..

I will be updating with another 5 posts, things that i've already done, but have no time to screenie / document / post it here..

so, just know that there are 5 more things, already done, that will be posted in the coming days..

wink

#248210 - 01/27/12 08:56 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
As a follow on to the previous post, this is for Geeks, so if you aren't real technical, it'll fly over your head.

Just nod and act like you get it laugh

Anyway, the way tooltips were done in the past violated W3C, because I hijaacked the title attribute of the anchor tag ( <a href="..." title="hijaacked preview goes here" .. )

This was doubly bad, because it added a huge amount of page weight to send stuff that is initially hidden from view.

Until now...............

Now, i load the tooltip structure hidden below in divs, but don't fill in the content at all. It is just a shell or 'scaffolding' per se.

When the user hovers and shows 'intent' ( delay over target ).... an AJAX request is made to automajically fill in the scaffolding for that tooltip alone.

I puts it into the hidden div and then displays it, when the delay times out.

It also caches the result, so there is no double / triple call for the same tag.

This saves time / resources and bandwidth and is the way it should have been done along...

My bad wink

#248211 - 01/27/12 09:15 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Another Geek post, with no pictures.

I seriously overhauled the user class, to abstract the database fields into the object.

What was there before was a mixture of an array ( $user ) and an object ( $userob ).

For a newbie developer, this wasn't very obvious to deal with.

Regardless, the other thing that has always been lacking is abstraction.

There were certain hard coded ways Rick did things and you had to know how the DB was setup.

Now, you don't....

Before you had to do something like:

Php Code:
if ($user['USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL'] == 'Administrator') doSomething(); 

All well and good for those in the know, but it really made it so there were only 2 or 3 peeps who 'got it'. And if i showed you how a Mod or globalMod was determined, it is even more obscure with a preg_match..

Now, the code is simply:

Php Code:
if ($me->isAdmin) doSomething();

or

if ($me->isMod) doSomething();

or

if ($me->isAnyMod) ... etc etc..

You don't care what the DB value is, because the user class shields you from the DB layer..

This is just one example of about 30 or more things that were changed to make it easier for both the developer ( modder, plugin maker ) as well as efficient code execution

Additionally, all fields in the DB that should have had a default value for the user profile in particular, now DO!

I don't know how many times i see stupid code where we have to wonder if a database value is set and take the configuration value if it isn't, when it would have been much simpler to have a default.

Like posts per topic or topics per page for example...

DB field lengths are also cut down to proper size. If it is a simple yes/no value, then i use 0, 1, with it abstracted. This makes DB record fetching much more efficient overall.

It also fixes BUGS!!! the email user when getting a PM always gets hosed in 7.5.6 and below, because the admin code uses Yes/No for the value and the script side uses On and anything NOT On... egads... now it is simply $me->notifyPM, and the coder has no clue and doesn't care what the value is ( yes, it is 0, 1 now )

Many more changes to the underlying engine have been made.

Like lower case table names, for example. This allows going to/from linux/windows servers a no brainer.

( note: why you would go TO a windows server for ubbthreads is beyond me however laugh . stay in unix, if you have a choice!! )

All in all, a TON of time was spent just cleaning up junk...

the scripts directory in 7.5.6 had 129 files.

the scripts directory in 7.6 has 98 and will be less when i'm done.

Same for the templates/default directory ( approximate same ratio )

Oh and surprise: there are even comments in the headers to say what the hell the file does and the filenames have been renamed to kinda be more logical...

example 'addaddress.inc.php' -- take a guess what it did.. yup.. no semantic meaning...

now it is included along with other files into one file called:

mywatches.inc.php

kinda more meaning there...

bla bla bla...

essentially, all this abstraction allows us to make proper DB changes that are needed to move forward without overhauling the code each time. The code stays the same and just the ONE FILE ( class.user.php ) changes to re-abstract the new DB to all the scripts...

what i did for the user class has also been done for the html, mysql, bbcode and mysql classes.

oh, and speaking of bbcode.. there was NO reason to include that file every time in ubbthreads, when the html class was the only one that used it. now, it is only loaded when needed. That is one HUGE class that isn't lugged around anymore.

Same goes for the mailer class...

use it when you need it..

too much more rambling to go here, but suffice to say, the code is much more streamlined, readable, commented AND SECURE!. ( all variables are sanitized.. they weren't before... yes, there are still obscure issues with 7.5.6 security and have been since 7.0 )

bottom line.. a LOT has been done and i can see the light at end of tunnel to beta...

hang in there... i have a couple more picture based posts to follow in the coming week wink

#248701 - 03/17/12 03:32 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
Admin gets a fresh coat of paint

Well, it actually gets a css overhaul.

The admin interface css and design was sorely lacking and needed to at least start to move towards html5 and css3.

This is step one and a small one, but it moves us off the dime.

No more images ( the .jpgs were corrupt anyway ) required, except for one logo image, that you can swap out for your own as desired.

( click the images for full size )

also, note that more helpful server information is contained on the landing page.

common css files are now in their own directory for clarity's sake

This is the extent of how far the Admin interface will be overhauled for 7.6. More in the future.

#248702 - 03/17/12 03:35 PM Re: New Features + Bug Fixes for 7.6 ( implemented ) [Re: SD]
SD Offline
I am now in the final stretch of modifications.

Remaining items are:

1. Integrated image uploader ( could add drag / drop, if feasible )
2. Topics Archival
3. Miscellaneous small things

Then it will be on to beta.

As always, no time frame, but coding is much easier now, since the basic database objects have been abstracted.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Shout Box

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
Forum » Control Panel » View Subscriptions bug?
by Morgan
07/21/14 03:38 PM
Correct way to handle mysql backups?
by Conrad
07/20/14 11:12 PM
Allowed Attachment File Extensions:question
by Morgan
07/19/14 02:09 AM
Post Mark Up
by Darryl
07/18/14 12:53 AM
Control Panel Style is non existant