Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#249775 07/25/2012 7:54 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I know a good chunk of you have installed my Stop Forum Spam modification and at this point I'm very curious about your statistics! Please also provide a guesstimate on how long you think you've had it installed.

Please take a moment and login to Stop Forum Spam, then view the Keys and report back and let me know how it's working for you!

I'd also like to let you all know that, after I finish some work over at ubbdev, I'll be working on a new version of the Stop Forum Spam modification to fix several personal "nags" with the mod.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
According to the "keys" page, I have submitted 75 spammers. I have not had a spammer get through. Thank you for your efforts.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would have linked to the "My Spammers" page, but the "Keys" page lists all different keys and their stats vs everyone you've banned; and it helps a little more with how many hits per key for what I'm looking for since a lot of you seem to have more than one forum lol...

Oh, and do you by chance have a guesstimate on how long you've had the mod installed?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
All of my hits are on one key, but, thinking about it, some of those hits would have been from before the mod was added. I used to submit them to SFS manually. I'll see if I can figure out some before and after numbers.

On 2-16-2011, I posted on DEV that it was working.

On edit: Nope - can't tell. The list doesn't go back far enough.

Last edited by SteveS; 07/26/2012 5:21 PM.

Steve

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Thanks Gizmo for the plugin, it's been great.

We've had it installed for a few months and have reported 13 so far. Very few spammer have gotten through, and when they do they have already been reported by others.

If I had a wishlist it would be having the ability to audit all registered users against the database, as I know we have a ton that snuck through before the plugin. I think the daily API limit is 20k queries, so you'd have to have the ability to break it up into chunks.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
Addict
Addict
That's a good idea, and maybe the query could be set up to just run the check on members with less than, say, 10 posts (pick a number). Members with more posts that that are probably legit!

Steve

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SteveS
That's a good idea, and maybe the query could be set up to just run the check on members with less than, say, 10 posts (pick a number). Members with more posts that that are probably legit!
Hmmm, I'm sure I could come up with a script to do a check like that; it'd be outside the UBB though...

old hand
old hand
Gizmo, has there ever been any consideration to your mod making into the stock edition? ... especially considering the recent security breach?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
Gizmo, has there ever been any consideration to your mod making into the stock edition? ... especially considering the recent security breach?
I talked to SD about it recently actually; I'm trying to figure out if their new fallback server is ready to add to the integration before handing any finalized code over though... Though that is a big reason for the latest update over at UBBDev.

whk Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Gizmo - I just installed the mod on my 7.5.6p1 forum and was wondering if there is a way to do a test registration using a known spam email address to see if the mod is working.

Also - I used my website url/ubbthreads/ as the site address when registering for an api key. Is that correct or should I have used the root directory?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by whk
Gizmo - I just installed the mod on my 7.5.6p1 forum and was wondering if there is a way to do a test registration using a known spam email address to see if the mod is working.

Also - I used my website url/ubbthreads/ as the site address when registering for an api key. Is that correct or should I have used the root directory?
Sure, go grab an email address from www.stopforumspam.com and use it...

You should have used the root directory, but they don't enforce any URLs so you should be fine.

whk Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
I grabbed a known email spam address and tried to register. Your mod successfully caught it. Thanks for the help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29