Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
Is there a command or way I can reject / delete all names in the registration queue? I'm getting hammered by Chinese spammers.

I need to bring my forum up to date and enable captcha or something. I'm getting 50+ a day urgh to reject.

Thanks smile

I don't believe there is a multiple selection in the queue.
It would be a handy feature.

I would enable the captcha for sure.
And if you have a current version enable stop forum spam.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Sysop
Sysop
we plan on adding this in the next release....

Oh Oh.
Now everyone is going to badger Brooks on when.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ThreadsUser
Is there a command or way I can reject / delete all names in the registration queue?

If accounts within the registration queue don't pass email verification within 24 hours, they will automatically deleted by UBBT.

Outside of using "Stop Forum Spam," is there something specific about the user name/email address (or anything else you collect) that you are using to confirm that none of these registrations are not live humans and/or outside of your website's target demographic?

PRO TIP: If you care to be more vigilant, there is nothing stopping you from upgrading from the neutered version of Stop Forum Spam that is built-in to UBBT 7.5.8 -- which only checks spammer email/ip addresses during registration -- and instead, install the full Stop Forum Spam add-on, which checks IP addresses for every user, every time they sign in. wink

Stop Forum Spam FULL VERSION @ https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/319158

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Originally Posted by id242
If accounts within the registration queue don't pass email verification within 24 hours, they will automatically deleted by UBBT.
I have not tested this in the current version.
But in past versions there also has to be a trigger for it to happen.
I recall it needs to be a additional successful registration after the 24 hour period.
I just recall on a slow board it can go well beyond the 24 hour period (like several days).

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are two triggers in UBBT 7.5.8

The first one, as you mentioned, is in scripts\adduser.php within the "page_adduser_run" function, that does not specify if the user needs to be verified or not, just a successful registration (as you've already said smile ). Which, if you're having troubles with many spammers creating accounts, wont be a problem to trigger, and trigger often.

The second one is located in admin\login.php at line 23 ($deldate = $html->get_date() - 86400;). This one is triggered whenever anyone enters the admin page... but the code looks incomplete -- please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I seem to also recall that there was also a "{$rebuild}" command within the forum.tpl file that would do some house cleaning and cache checking/building every time the forum list was generated -- but I cannot find much relating to that in the current UBBT 7.5.8 code, other than a string reference to update the online list within ubbthreads.inc.php.

I also know that portal uses a cache and refreshes itself on intervals as defined within Control Panel > Portal Settings.

Maybe the TWO items listed above are enough -- so as to create a balanced environment where checking and purging unverified (beyond 24 hours) users is done only as often as necessary. Constantly checking the Control Panel > Home page, looking at the Registration Queue, can be nerve racking when you're expecting these "users" to verify their email or be purged, but remember, UBBT is doing it's thing and the unverified users will soon be purged next time one of the two triggers mentioned above is activated.

From my previous post...
Also, see the Stop Forum Spam FULL VERSION link @ https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/319158

NOTE: Thanks Ruben. It was nice to also revisit this bit of code on my own sites. I was curious as to a few things relating to this topic, and it pushed me to also research those. smile

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A bunch of these triggers need to be put in a cron file that someone could optionally run via cron at their leisure if they so wanted (and had the ability to do so)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
That is what v8 was going to have.
Enough talk about vaporware.

Blue Man Group
T
T Offline
Is there an option to clear our the entire queue without selecting anything at all?

I basically wanted to deny all the spam registrations by selecting reject on each request but is there an option to merely clear out every registration without selecting reject all i.e. wipe the queue of everyone?

Thanks guys

Well the stop forum spam feature with the addition of the login detection mod should circumvent most all of it.

Blue Man Group
old hand
old hand
We desperately need this "select all" option. I've been getting hammered by spammers for months. It's such a hassle to have to manually check off each one in the queue.

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u.../influx-of-spam-registrations#Post254357

Another option that would be nice would be the ability to block all non-U.S. registration attempts. That could also solve the problem.

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/254385/allow-geotargeting#Post254385

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Mitch, are you running with the Stop Forum Spam feature on?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
we plan on adding this in the next release....

Good, because just following the forums for the past year, many of us have been given the impression that the UBBThreads software was quite dead. Zero interaction from the official owners - especially regarding the current bugs (minor and major) in the software.

Ruben was right; Vaporware.

Please give us a reason to renew our UBBT licenses for another year.

UBBThreads obviously has willing and extremely knowledgeable programmers (Gizmo, for example) than can be hired to implement new features and correct the many reported bugs that are in the current releases. Or at lease make routine updates -- to, at the very least, maintain the current licensed subscriber base.

I am sure that no one here wants to see UBBThreads die in this slow-death fashion.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I too am quite frustrated that a product that I love and have worked closely with over the years appears to just be abandonware; I worked hard at building business relationships with various communities over the years (clicky) just to have a huge majority of my clients (and friends) hop ship to other solutions due to the lack of updates.

I see no problems in the ability to generate a release on a proper schedule just for maintenance, let alone adding in small features and UI tweaks; to attempt to salvage one of the largest names in forum software.

And in case anyone is interested, Dave at Groupee said to me that if they KNEW that Rick was planning to sell (like a lot of us would have hoped to be a part of that discussion in the first place), they'd have bought it themselves just so this current state wouldn't be an issue.

I love this software, and those of you who've clung to hope over the years; but come on, we still don't *publicly* (ie we haven't been told vs having to go look up the registration info for the LLC) even know a thing about our "new" owner, let alone if he's still alive since evidently face time with what's left of active users just doesn't happen.

old hand
old hand
Seriously. It's not like people are being jerks here.

People have either moved on to another product, or have been waiting as patiently as possible.

Throw us a bone with some progress reports and a date!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Mitch, are you running with the Stop Forum Spam feature on?

Yes. It's great at identifying the spam bots.

The problem is that when they build up in the registration queue, you have to go one by one in deleting them. There needs to be a "select all" option so you can delete them all in one, fell swoop.

Are you getting all of these bot registrations on any of your boards?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I was thinking that the reg queue should purge non-approved registrations after a period of a day or so.. Personally, I don't do manual verifications and don't have a build up anywhere...

I know you are running v7.5.8 but without digging for what did change in the refresh.
There was a refresh update without any notation a couple of weeks after the announcement of 7.5.8(November 29, 2013).
Memory tells me that the stop forum spam routine was one of them.
If you downloaded it as soon as it was available.
I would download it again.
Just follow the upgrade instructions for upload to your site but since it is the same version there would be no need to run the upgrade script again.
Of course I would make a backup before you attempt this.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29