Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#256313 01/27/2015 11:22 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can use this thread to discuss the 7.5.9 release. You can read the full changelog on the UBBWiki topic: UBB.Threads v7.5.9 Changelog.

7.5.9 Changelog
  • INSTALL- The installer now tells you on the first page, which version of UBB.threads you are about to install if you copied over all the required files.
  • INSTALL/CSS, STYLES- All CSS sizes and colors have now been standardized. These corrections affect the installer/upgrader program and new installs of UBB.threads.
    - The random usage of pt & em font sizes have been consolidated to their equivalent px sizes.
    - The font color codes used have been converted from "english names" to their correct hexadecimal HTML color codes. For example; goldenrod, dodgerblue, green are now correctly represented as #daa520, #0080ff and #008000 in the css files.
    - The pre-installed stylesheets have a more clear name.
    "ubb" is now "ubbthreads"
    "new_light" is now "ubbthreads-light" (Set as the default style during a new install)
    "new_dark" is now "ubbthreads-dark"
    "original_stock" and "original_dark" have been removed. They have been superseded by their "ubbthreads-light/dark" versions.
  • INSTALL/UPGRADE- The Instructions/Changed/New/Removed Files boxes have been increased from 500x100 to 600x200 to make reading much easier.
  • INSTALL- Add a php Suhosin check & warning message.
  • ADMIN- Add a php Suhosin check & notification message.
    - http://www.ubbwiki.com/article/view/16/issues-with-suhosin.html
  • ADMIN- Content rebuilder defaults have been adjusted for current server specifications running PHP5.
    - Rebuild Posts: from 200 to 800
    - Rebuild UTF8Posts: from 100 to 400
    - Rebuild Topics: from 500 to 1000
    - Rebuild Forums: from 100 to 200
    - Rebuild Post Counts: from 200 to 800
    - Rebuild Signatures: from 200 to 800,
    - Rebuild Private Messages: from 200 to 800
    - Prune Orphans: from 50 to 100
  • ADMIN- Member search results per page have been increased from 25 to 200.
  • ADMIN- Referrer Log URL display results were tweaked.
    - URL now displays 120 characters, as first 40 and the last 55. Previously was only 100, displaying the first 40 and last 15 chars.
  • CACHE BUILDERS/CONTENT ISLANDS- Featured Members without avatars and have less than 40 posts are not shown in the "Featured Member" Island.
  • CACHE BUILDERS/CONTENT ISLANDS- "Forum Stats" and "Popular Topics" islands now separate large numbers with a comma. Example, "10000" will now be displayed as "10,000". This affects Max Online, Total Users, Total Posts, Total Topics, Topic Views.
  • INCLUDES- The default "Closed Message" message has been updated from "routine maintenance" to "brief maintenance" and now says "please check back later." This message is customizable at Control Panel » Primary Settings.
  • LANGUAGES- Check the LANGUAGE_CHANGES.txt within your /install directory for the new texts.
    - A lot of corrections to the English language files have been made.
    - Periods at the end of several buttons have been removed.
    - Colon usage is now consistent across forms.
  • LIBS/PHPMAILER- Updated to version 2.0.4 and now supports Encoded/Secure Headers.
  • LIBS/HTML.INC- The maximum Cookie Lifetime was loosened-up a bit, to 2592000 (30 days)
    - 86400 = 24hrs
    - 604800 = 7 days (Default for UBB.threads 7.5.8)
    - 2592000 = 30 days (Recommended)
    - 31536000 = 365 days (Default for UBB.threads 7.5.7 and prior)
    - More details at https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/254570
  • SCRIPTS/DOSEARCH- 50 Search results are now displayed per page. Previously it was only 25 results. The default Maximum Search Results remains at 200, but can be configured to whatever you want, at "Control Panel > Feature Settings"
  • SCRIPTS/NEWPOST- "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" is now defaulted to Checked/Yes. Users can uncheck this box per each new topic they create.
  • SCRIPTS/NEWREPLY- "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" is now defaulted to Checked/Yes. Users can uncheck this box per each new reply they create.
  • SCRIPTS/NEWREPLY- The extra period after "The UBBCode is enabled.." is finally gone.
  • SCRIPTS/NEWREPLY- The markup selector shows the markup available to post with. Users will only see markup options specific to their user level or the forum's setting.
  • SCRIPTS/ONLINE- Invisible users will now have their name "BLURRED." The "(I)" was nice, but most everyone is using a modern browser these days.
  • SCRIPTS/POSTLIST- Displayed...
    - Topics Per Page default changed from 15 to 40.
    - Gallery Topics Per Page default changed from 15 to 20.
  • SCRIPTS/PRINTTHREAD- Will now display image attachments inline.
  • SCRIPTS/SHOWFLAT- Posts Per Page default changed from 15 to 40.
  • SCRIPTS/SHOWMEMBERS- Members Displayed Per Page default changed from 25 to 50.
  • SCRIPTS/USERPOSTS- If a "Topics Per Page" is set, "All posts made by a user" will also show that many items per page.
  • TEMPLATES/ADMIN/ADMINLOG, EDITCUSTOMISLAND, EDITSTYLES, FEATURES, FORUMMANAGE, PATHS_DB, PHPINFO, PRIMARY/CLOSED MESSAGE, PROFILES, REG_SETTINGS
    - Corrected the column widths and increased entry box sizes.
  • TEMPLATES/ADMIN_FOOTER- Updated the links to open in a _blank tab, and their text to be more helpful. Also synchronized the 'powered by' text presentation with that of the user forums.
  • TEMPLATES/ADMIN/LOGIN(HOME)- Updated the html to open each link to UBBCentral.com in a _blank tab.
  • TEMPLATES/ADMIN/PROFILES- Corrected a typo in the html. The page now displays that missing content correctly. (Post Count Titles)
  • TEMPLATES/ADMIN/SUBSCRIPTIONS- Corrected a bug in the column display where the text and background color would be the same.
  • TEMPLATES/RSS_XML- Removed the "<generator>" tags.
    - The "{$config.COMMUNITY_TITLE}" string should not be in the rss generator meta field, because it is not a generator, it is a title.
    - https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/255229#Post255229
  • TEMPLATES/SEARCH- Max Search Date Range Fixed.
    - Corrected the pre-filled date range entry box from "Week" to "Year".
    - Automatically fill in the default "Maximum Search Date Range" (defined by Control Panel > Feature Settings > Search) to the "Newer than" field.
    - https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/319252#Post319252
  • UBB_JS/BOXOVER.JS- In UBBT 7.5.8, the script title and original author's name was removed; this information has now been restored in 7.5.9.
  • STYLES/ADMIN.css- Cleaned up. From 11,448 bytes to 11,244 bytes
  • STYLES/COMMON.css- Cleaned up and compressed. From 1,423 to 1,259 bytes. This file is called with every page that is viewed on your forums. The smaller it is, the better.
  • [MULTIPLE]INDEX.html- In previous builds this was a ZERO-BYTE empty file. The problems with that were that some FTP programs didn't know how to transfer these files. Also, some overzealous "System Cleaners" would delete these files. This has been solved by adding content to them. They are now a basic page that when viewed, forwards to the root of the domain.
  • [MULTIPLE]LANGUAGES, TEMPLATES- This update also introduces necessary changes for moving forward to full utf-8 character encoding support. Having iso-8859-1 (or a random) character encoding style may leave your site open to XSS attacks.

Hey Isaac, we did it! lol.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Good work guys.

Last edited by Mark S; 01/27/2015 12:27 PM. Reason: edited as the change log is now listed

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, Mark, you can check the full changelog that Isaac and I finalized here; our primary focus at the current moment are longstanding bugs listed in the bugs forum, and several of the "this feature is coming in X version" posts that're lingering about still. As you can see from the full changelog, a lot of data was handled and modified from 7.5.8.

I updated my initial post in this thread to reflect the finalized changelog that we issued for 7.5.9 once we sent it off.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Good Work to Gizmo and ID242

Whos running the show now as you guys seem to have took this upon yourselves and got on with it which im sure many would be very glad to know progress has been made. Few updates i like and glad they have been done.

Frustrating why the lists of changes couldn't have been added to the announcement.. . .. in the first place.

I like this update
• SCRIPTS/NEWPOST- "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" is now defaulted to Checked/Yes. Users can uncheck this box per each new topic they create.

Good work guys.

Last edited by Mark S; 01/27/2015 12:28 PM. Reason: removed change log quote

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
7.5.9 was our foot in the door, so to speak, that there are able minded individuals who're more than willing to take on the development task; I know we couldn't fit everything into what was set forth in 7.5.9, but we've already been talking about what to focus on for 7.5.10 and beyond. We wanted a nice foundation, and that ended up being 7.5.9.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Cheers everyone wink

Now would also be an excellent time to update your "List of Search Engine Spiders"
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/320566/

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
WOW,
Mark you changed your avatar!

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Congratulations for all the hard work that has been put in to deliver this release.

It does, unfortunately, pose a question for me and my stuck-at-7.5.6 forum. Do i bite the bullet and pay to renew my license so that i can get access to this version, or do i save my cash and continue to nurse 7.5.6 whilst looking for an alternate (open source) platform to migrate over to?

Originally Posted by Ruben
WOW,
Mark you changed your avatar!

You made me laugh lol

The first update for over a year and you notice my avatar has changed.
I'm touched lol. . . I put a lot of hard work into getting that pose just right lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Crasher
It does, unfortunately, pose a question for me and my stuck-at-7.5.6 forum. Do i bite the bullet and pay to renew my license so that i can get access to this version, or do i save my cash and continue to nurse 7.5.6 whilst looking for an alternate (open source) platform to migrate over to?
Brooks agreed to allow us to do 3-4 releases per year; unlike other platforms we're not focusing on bloating the software like so many others have (glares at vBulletin).

Originally Posted by Mark S
You made me laugh lol

The first update for over a year and you notice my avatar has changed.
I'm touched lol. . . I put a lot of hard work into getting that pose just right lol
I was kind of shocked too, you don't look at all like I had thought you would! lol

old hand
old hand
It lives! grin

J
J Offline
Congratulations on v7.5.9!

I gladly renewed my membership for another year. I also upgraded today and our forums are working normally. Looking forward to future upgrades.

Thanks especially to Gizmo and ID242.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I hope Gizmo and ID242 got more then a "special thanks" out of this deal.

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Cuervo

We're being taken care of. Thanks, Cuervo! laugh

Since 7.5.9 was released, a lot more work has been completed for the next version. If your curious, I've been posting the current UBB.threads progress reports for everyone to read and comment on.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by id242
Originally Posted by Cuervo

We're being taken care of. Thanks, Cuervo! laugh

Since 7.5.9 was released, a lot more work has been completed for the next version. If your curious, I've been posting the current UBB.threads progress reports for everyone to read and comment on.

That's awesome! Glad you guys are getting fruits of your labor.

I'm very excited about your's and Gizmo's work on Threads. I'll be watching your progression thread!! Hell, I might reup my sub for your work.

-Tim
So I've updated to 7.59.

I would have thought that Isaac's little piece of code form last year to change the posts' underscores to hyphens would have been included in the update?

Mark J.Cairns
Producer, Airwolf Themes CD soundtracks

AIRWOLF WEBSITE https://airwolfthemes.com/mobile/
OFFICIAL AIRWOLF THEMES VIDEOS https://www.youtube.com/airwolfthemes
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Mark, sadly, it did not make it to the 7.5.9 code, but will be in the next release -
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...s-7-5-10-progress-report-01-29-2015.html

The reason it didn't make it in the code was because I wasnt feeling too good about "flip-flopping" whole domain urls once again. It was bad that SD changed the URLs without any previous notice in 7.5.8/r1/r2/r3. The next release will have everything fixed using the suggested code @
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...5-8-better-url-sanitization-for-seo.html
There are quite a few other related updates going in the next release for SEO. Overall, it looks to be getting a lot of attention.

If you want to update your site ahead of time, follow the directions from that link. The release code will be exactly the same.

Cheers! :grog:

Cool. Thank you. It's not the end of the world, and I updated it manually in about 30 seconds.

I just thought it would be natural for you to include in in your first "outing" after all, you suggested/created that thread/code last year and it was a super-useful jaw-dropper for those of us who care about what Forums do to domains' SEO. It's those features overall that I'm personally looking forward to in the future.

Something to reveal all the people who have HTML links in their Signature file would be another useful one I'm looking for, although aren't you guys already working on something like that in your 'To Do' list.

Plus maybe a more manual "per post" way of adding a NoFollow (rather than a Global version for all links everywhere) to backlinks. Some backlinks are useful and help backlink juice on SEO.

The long list of features you pair have can be quite over-whelming to us normal mortals to pick out the personal interests. smile

Mark J.Cairns
Producer, Airwolf Themes CD soundtracks

AIRWOLF WEBSITE https://airwolfthemes.com/mobile/
OFFICIAL AIRWOLF THEMES VIDEOS https://www.youtube.com/airwolfthemes
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We didn't want to shock users search engine stats "so close" to an older build; plus there was a LOT of code cleanup that went into 7.5.9. We will definitely try to have the UBB.Sitemaps mod use the same URL syntax as the next release to help aid in any transition.

There are a lot of things in our internal vision that haven't gotten attention yet, and I keep showing Isaac little bits of data regarding past beta tests for some ideas on the stock product as well...

We both definitely value transparency and user suggestions, as you can see from our "Official UBB.Threads Announcements" forum we keep a listing of progress reports so you can see exactly where we're at, and user comments are allowed in this forum should you have feedback.

Plus we keep all of our code synced between the two of us over Dropbox, so you won't run into any issues with people parting the project and not having code provided to other parties like has happened in the past.

Addict
Addict
Wonderful, wonderful news. I have been using UBB for over a decade now and love it. I'm happy to hear it's chugging along.

I just tonight signed a contract with a new hosting facility, after having repeated crashes for months with MyHosting.com. So I'll have to be installing everything new over at 247-host anyway. I'll install this new version brand new, so none of the legacy mess from the past 10 years lingers anywhere. (Hopefully I can run a database upgrade script but be able to have all my files start out clean. Yes?)

Then I'll go through my list of changes I make and see which still apply.

When I'm done I'll post my thoughts! Probably a week or two.

Lisa

Last edited by BellaOnline; 02/20/2015 9:06 PM.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can all feel free to take a look at the UBBDev forum "Official UBB.Threads Announcements" for all of the latest feature announcements and changes; there's going to be some big ones wink...

Gizmo #256823 04/15/2015 4:29 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Mobile is almost here; you can preview an early live version right now at The UBB.Developers Network. You can also read about other cool stuff to look forward to in the upcoming release of UBB.threads v7.6.0 in our "Official UBB.Threads Announcements" forum.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I would like to see an upgrade that allows the admin to disable the message body portion of email notifications. Far too many of my users respond to the email notifications by replying to the email, which, of course, goes to me and then to the bit bucket. This applies to both PM notifications and Watched Topics/ Threads/People notifications.

I've tried manually removing them by editing files, but I've only been partially successful.

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Edit the template with the template editor. remove just the body parts of the templates.

Control Panel » Templates
Select "email_html.tpl" and click "Edit Selected Template"

FIND this
Code
		<tr>
			<td {$styletdbody}>
				{$posts[ind].body}
				<br />
			</td>
		</tr>

Remove it.

The procedure is basically the same for the other email templates, but that is the one that 99.9% of your users will be getting.

Dont forget to create a backup before making any changes.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
What about this from email_text_generic.tpl and email_html_generic.tpl?
PHP Code
<tr>
		<td>
				{if $salute}
				{$salute}
				{/if}
				{$content}
		</td>
</tr> 
Would I need to remove the content line?

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
id242, removing the {$posts[ind.body]} line did not stop the content from being sent in a PM.

I've worked on this in previous versions. I have NEVER figured out how to kill the content entirely.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Baldeagle
id242, removing the {$posts[ind.body]} line did not stop the content from being sent in a PM.

Confirm that it is the "email_html.tpl" which you have removed the code listed above from.

How are you testing?
Sending an email from the control panel? OR Having a real-world "New Post/Reply Notification" emailed to you?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confirm that it is the "email_html.tpl" which you have removed the code listed above from.

How are you testing?
Sending an email from the control panel? OR Having a real-world "New Post/Reply Notification" emailed to you?
I commented it out in email_html.tpl and email_text.tpl. But now that I look at it, I really didn't. facepalm

More testing......

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I commented it out in email_html.tpl and email_text.tpl. But now that I look at it, I really didn't. facepalm

More testing......

Confirm that you are using HTML COMMENTS, rather than PHP COMMENTS.

There are several different ways to add comment lines (also called, "comment-out") in different file types.
HTML: Comment tags <!-- and --> are often used to insert comments in HTML.
PHP: Preceding a the line with // is often used to comment-out single lines in PHP.

The majority of the content within the template files are HTML based. The section posted above is an HTML section.

Also, since your emails are being generated by this template, you probably should just remove those lines that you don't want displayed from the template file completely, rather than having the commented-out section that you do NOT want in your emails, to be inserted in to the email, but just hidden.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

More testing......

Confirm that you are using HTML COMMENTS, rather than PHP COMMENTS.
Yeah, I stumbled across that first. I used PHP comments, and it printed the comment tags in the messages.

There are several different ways to add comment lines (also called, "comment-out") in different file types.
HTML: Comment tags <!-- and --> are often used to insert comments in HTML.
PHP: Preceding a the line with // is often used to comment-out single lines in PHP.

The majority of the content within the template files are HTML based. The section posted above is an HTML section.

Also, since your emails are being generated by this template, you probably should just remove those lines that you don't want displayed from the template file completely, rather than having the commented-out section that you do NOT want in your emails, to be inserted in to the email, but just hidden.
Thanks. My habit is to not remove things but comment them out. I realized I still have the entire install, including the original templates, in my home directory, so I could always fall back to those if need be.

I removed the line and the comment.

Thanks for your help.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Baldeagle, another way (or in addition to) and simple fix, would also just be to edit the language file.

1. Control Panel » Language Editor.

2. click on the "Language Editor" tab.

3. choose "mailer.php" in the "Choose Specific Language File" section. click "Go"

4. find "EMAIL_HEADER_TEXT"

5. replace:
"No need to reply to this email."
with
"**PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT'S NOT MONITORED**"

(sans the quotes)

6. do the same for "EMAIL_HEADER_HTML"

7. click on "Update Language File"

done.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I tried that. The completely ignore it. I even put this in the file three times:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!!! IT WILL NOT GO TO THE PERSON YOU THINK IT WILL GO TO!!!

They completely ignored it.

The only solution is to remove the body so they have no idea what's in the message, but even then I'm sure some will reply and say, you didn't write anything. What did you want? mad

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
LOL Thats great!

I salute you for continuing to try different things to get the desired results. But then there is always going to be "that one guy" who finds a way to make life complicated again... sigh.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29