Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
sb
S Offline
Greetings,

Our paid upgrade subscription expired at the end of last year, so we needed to renew in order to obtain version 7.5.9.

What was ordered was a:
Type of License: 1 Non expiring UBB License

Which incidentally states in the welcome email:
You also have access to the UBB Members Area for one year as part of this license.

Non expiring software license with one year access to the Members Area which is where you go to download version updates?!?! I was already puzzled at what I was reading.

Anyway, the URL link also in that welcome email says to download the software from a URL, which redirects to a different domain name and at that domain name displays an error.
All credit card charges for the UBB will appear on your credit card statement under Infopop Corporation. Your NEW license number and password are listed below. Use this information to download the latest version of the UBB from our Members Area at http://www.ultimatebb.com/ubbmembers/ubbmembers.shtml

What in the world is going on?

I am thankful,
Michael

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can snag a copy (with valid member access) at the member area link at the top of every page.

The issue, as it seems, is that ultimatebb.com wasn't sold to Rick (and by relation UBB Systems) when Groupee split out of the picture, it looks like the hardcoded member area link was never updated in the licensing software.

Last edited by Gizmo; 01/28/2015 10:51 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
S
sb
S Offline
Thank you for your prompt reply, Gizmo.

This morning, again, I accessed the Member Area at the top of this page, and see...

Version Released Download
7.5.9 January 26, 2015 No access
7.5.8 November 29, 2013 zip

What in the world does it mean that switching the type of license term somehow switches us to "another fork of UBB" the way you make it sound? I am very confused by all of this. Please help me understand what you mean.

I was concerned that we ended up paying money to that "UBB wannabee" site that was pedaling a hosted forum solution trying to steal clients away from the real UBB. So if that is not that we got tangled in, then what?

I am thankful,
Michael

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That "UBB Wannabe" site is Groupee's hosted solution; when Rick bought UBB.Threads from Groupee he bought "UBB.Threads", not the other products in their line, and not the "Ultimate Bulletin Board" moniker.

As for downloading the latest build from the member area, you'll need full member area access in order to grab a new release, if there is something wrong with your license in terms of access, you'll need to file a support ticket (the forums here are a User to User discussion, as they've always been; the "Staff" on the forums are simply volunteers).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
S
sb
S Offline
All right, very good then. All this talk of buyouts is very foreign to me. Looking back through old threads this account has posted on, seems your ID (Gizmo) has been responding through the years. "Rick" sounds like the correct name of the original UBB.Threads developer, I had no idea he was mixed up in that UBB client stealing mess. CoNfUsInG!!! frown

Anyway, what ever the site admin purchased indeed does NOT seem to have properly activated to unlock the 7.5.9 version to this "sb" account, so I will be in contact with the office per your suggestion.

I am thankful,
Michael

sb #256350 02/01/2015 11:02 AM
I got the No Access message as well despite paying for 7.5.8 last year.

It so irks me that I've to pay another $59 bucks for a 7.5.x bug-fix... again.

[Linked Image from airwolfthemes.com]

Mark J.Cairns
Producer, Airwolf Themes CD soundtracks

AIRWOLF WEBSITE https://airwolfthemes.com/mobile/
OFFICIAL AIRWOLF THEMES VIDEOS https://www.youtube.com/airwolfthemes
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Mark, rather than looking at it as "UBB.threads v7.5.9", The versioning should instead be seen as "UBB.threads7 v5.9"

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by id242
Mark, rather than looking at it as "UBB.threads v7.5.9", The versioning should instead be seen as "UBB.threads7 v5.9"
That is how we refer to the revisions on the development side of things. We will not be increasing the version to 7.6 until we've had the opportunity to clean a significant amount of coding over the entire package and introduce a fair amount of new features, which is where our roadmap is currently taking us.

If you take a look at the changelog you will see substantially more was done than just a little bug fixing and code cleanup, some of which you may notice performance wise as various variables have been increased with more modern servers in mind.

And we have an announcements forum at UBBDev where we've been publicly discussing several code check-ins, so one can read about upcoming changes.

Last edited by Gizmo; 02/01/2015 11:23 AM.

...and that's fair enough guys.

However, my point is... who does the $59 bucks yearly actually go to now? Who actually answers the so-called "support tickets"?

So v7.59 is a purely Gizmo/id242 release and not the main developer?

As far as I can see, it's basically Gizmo (and in the past year or two, Isaac/id242) doing all the grunt work now, yet you both only consider yourselves "enthusiasts" for the software and not on the payroll? I don't get it.

So are you two now working for Brooks/SD and actually get a rightful share at last? If so, then that's great, and rightly so, and I've no problem with that and welcome it.

But if the developer who has promised the holy grail of vapourware 7.6/7 v6.0 for years now is the guy who gets the reward for both your hard work, then I've a major problem with that, and again is what irks me to pay $59 to upgrade to 7.5.9 from 7.5.8, without clarification. I've looked at various threads throughout this UBB Central site to answer these questions and still can't work it out clearly.

I don't think this has ever really been discussed or challenged as forthrightly, but to me is a valid point for clarification and I feel justified in asking it.

Mark J.Cairns

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mark J.Cairns
However, my point is... who does the $59 bucks yearly actually go to now? Who actually answers the so-called "support tickets"?
UBB Systems is the company who both manages licenses and provides official support via the support portal.

So v7.59 is a purely Gizmo/id242 release and not the main developer?
UBB Systems is currently contracting The UBB.Development Network for coding on the UBB.threads product. It is not unheard of for companies to hire outside developers for coding tasks.

If you feel that your last years renewal fee was wasted, I encourage you to talk with the company via the support desk, after all they should know your opinions on the state of things.

As far as I can see, it's basically Gizmo (and in the past year or two, Isaac/id242) doing all the grunt work now, yet you both only consider yourselves "enthusiasts" for the software and not on the payroll?
Well, since 7.5.9's release we've made agreements with Brooks to move forward with the development through UBBDev.

So are you two now working for Brooks/SD and actually get a rightful share at last? If so, then that's great, and rightly so, and I've no problem with that and welcome it.
Where we're currently developing versions of UBB.Threads for UBB Systems, id242 and I are the sole developers on the project, through UBBDev.

But if the developer who has promised the holy grail of vapourware 7.6/7 v6.0 for years now is the guy who gets the reward for both your hard work, then I've a major problem with that, and again is what irks me to pay $59 to upgrade to 7.5.9 from 7.5.8, without clarification. I've looked at various threads throughout this UBB Central site to answer these questions and still can't work it out clearly.
I've been here since the product's inception, I've helped build this community, I've helped beta test, and I've helped supply code to the project since UBB.Classic was first created, and since UBB.Threads first came about. Isaac has a similar background as myself as well. We've put so much work into things over the years we're not just going to wait and watch it die...

So we're contracting for UBB Systems, it's not unheard of for private companies to become developers on products. And you really can't blame Brooks for Rick's work on 7.6/8.0, remember, Rick contracted out and the developer passed away without providing checkins (at least that's what we where told), this was far before Brooks even took over ownership. Where I was as frustrated as everyone else with the lack of development, that's specifically WHY Isaac and I decided to offer to do the development for UBB.threads.

Brooks has given us the goahead to produce 3-4 builds per year, and you can watch our UBB.threads Official Announcements forum at UBBDev to see all of our public checkins, we want everyone to be as excited about using UBB.threads as we have over the years, and we think that the best way of doing so is to actually tell you what is going on as we're working on it.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I've been here since the product's inception, I've helped build this community, I've helped beta test, and I've helped supply code to the project since UBB.Classic was first created, and since UBB.Threads first came about. Isaac has a similar background as myself as well. We've put so much work into things over the years we're not just going to wait and watch it die...

Where I was as frustrated as everyone else with the lack of development, that's specifically WHY Isaac and I decided to offer to do the development for UBB.threads.

Brooks has given us the go-ahead to produce 3-4 builds per year, and you can watch our UBB.threads Official Announcements forum at UBBDev to see all of our public checkins, we want everyone to be as excited about using UBB.threads as we have over the years, and we think that the best way of doing so is to actually tell you what is going on as we're working on it.

That's exactly what I'm wanting to hear. Thank you for the clarification.

Excellent job that you're both committed to basically take over development for him. Can't think of two guys better suited to moving us all forward. Roll on 2015.

Mark J.Cairns

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh, and should something, god forbid, happen to id242 or myself, we keep active backups of all of our development work on a collaborated Dropbox folder.

N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Brooks does a great job. Last week my server was hacked and all data deleted. Very frustrating. I updated the UBB database through Cpanel but there were issues on the new server. Plus I needed to upgrade to 7.5.9 yo get some security fixes. Brook took care everything very promptly. I started using UBB since UBB Classic in the 90s and have always been very happy with both Rick and Brooks handling of support.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29