Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Hello, I am seeing that the board is either not sending out emails or they are extremely delayed. For a couple of weeks the board was just not sending out emails on new user registrations. It was working and then just stopped, and has now since started up again.

It also appears that the "Watched" threads email notifications are either very delayed or not being sent out as well.

I am helping out a group and I am totally new to ubb.threads, they having 7.5.6 installed. None of the people involved know anything about the back end, the person that was doing it is no longer available.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcomed. I looked around in the CP but don't even see anything related to email, though I could easily be overlooking it.

Thanks,
Phil W.

It could be the email address of the sender from ubb was blacklisted. Then somebody requested it to be unlisted. Then it got blocked again.
Or you just have issues with the host smtp.

Either way somebody needs to contact the hosting company and inquire .

BTW,
The emails are sent from whatever you have in:
Control Panel » Primary Settings
Board Email Address:
All emails being sent out will come from this address.

also expand the advanced settings to look at smtp servers etc.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/30/2015 3:36 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.Threads sends mail through the phpmailer script instead of the native php mail() function; you should have your webhost check the mail queue for your webspace to validate that messages are being sent and are not just being held on the server.

If some messages get through and others do not, this is likely not a mailserver issue, it is instead likely that your site is blacklisted through one of the many many online authorities (as Ruben said) as some destination servers would read some blacklists and others would not.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, in the future please list the URL to the forum in question; I'm assuming you're the same philwojo from GliderCentral, which is listed in the UCEPROTECTL3 blacklist; test here.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Just fyi,
Email issues are a hard road to track.
Could be blacklists, could be host server issues.
Could be individual client security software.
Could be connectivity issues.

I have had all of those issues in the past.
Best thing to do is test with a constant variable.
Then deal with different browsers, isp providers and mail clients.
Also don't forget that some hosts that brag unlimited hosting also throttle how many emails per hour or minute you are allowed to send.
They don't tell you that until you call and complain.
They may get delayed or deleted.

It is a pain in the ***.

Blue Man Group
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Yes, sorry I didn't list the URL, but you are correct, it is for glidercentral.net

I did find the email address in the CP now, again, new to this and just overlooked it. There is no SMTP Server setup.

I see that we are on the blacklist, is there anything we can do to get off that list, again new to this kind of stuff.

I am the one not getting emails and I am using Gmail for my account. I shouldn't say I don't get them, but as I said in my 1st post, some times I get them, sometimes I don't, some times they are just super delayed.

This board isn't all that busy, there aren't that many emails going out from it to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Phil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Are you replacing Eddie as the ubb guy over there?

As for getting removed, they have a page for that here.

As for slow deliveries, since messages are getting out, there's not really much we can troubleshoot at the script level.

First of all using a personal email such as gmail in my book is a no-no.
I would prefer to use a site native email account.
Only because it just adds to the email servers to trouble shoot.
For example sendmail will send from server a but your email is from server b then you send it to server c the client.
So all it takes is just one of those servers to get you on the blacklist and poof now it is three times the work to resolve.

Also ,once on a blacklist it becomes a full time job to keep it open.
Due to if it is a host provider issue sharing your space with multiple clients it could be caused by anyone of hundreds of other customers.
My 2 cents.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/31/2015 2:22 PM.

Blue Man Group
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Are you replacing Eddie as the ubb guy over there?

As for getting removed, they have a page for that here.

As for slow deliveries, since messages are getting out, there's not really much we can troubleshoot at the script level.
Yes, Eddie has moved on, or at least for now he has. I am new to glider central, but I have offered up my help as I understand technical issues pretty well most of the time. The board is on 7.5.6, not sure how critical it is to get it updated to the latest release.

As for the mail issue I have no idea what else to do on it as of now. When I said I was using gmail that was for my personal account on the forum site in question and if the forum can't send me an email to my personal gmail account then that is an issue in my eyes. I do understand that it includes another server and such, but there are no users that are on our server for emails, so it really doesn't do me much good to have it work only for there. I can understand from a troubleshooting perspective, but I was more wondering if it was something on the ubb side of things, which it doesn't appear to be.

So, I'll pursue things with the ISP/Host and see where that goes, but probably not going to go very far.

Thanks for all the help and feedback.
Phil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You really should look at getting upgraded to at least 7.5.8, there was a security issue that it fixes (7.5.9 is the latest, and v7.6.0 is in development).

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Thanks Gizmo, we will look in to that then. I knew there were security fixes, just wasn't sure how critical they were for us since this board has been on 7.5.6 for so long now.

Any ETA on 7.6.0? I read a little bit on that at the DEV site, but not extensively.

Phil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are still things that are on our internal "To Do" list that need to be tackled before v7.6.0 can be released; but we keep a fairly up to date set of Progress Reports and Developer Notes. The reason that it's taking so long is because we're doing a pretty major rewrite of the entire Control Panel as well as the public portions of the main forum coding (converting the xHTML to HTML5 and making it all mobile).

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
And cleaning up some of the "dated styles" while also adding several new ones for UBB.threads7 v6.0 smile

EDIT: Some of those are already in use on UBBDev.com and here.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29