Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#258300 04/14/2016 7:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Have any ideas as to about when the release will take place? This month, next month, and so on? Looking forward to putting it on my site as soon as I can.

JAISP #258301 04/14/2016 10:28 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We've purposely not set a public date, as it's a complete rewrite (and we expected to miss even our internal dates), and we've been supplying updates as major milestones are reached.

You can follow the progress here or find information on becoming a beta tester (which have access to all of the latest beta releases, every couple of weeks) here.

As of this point we still have several template files that need to be rewritten (login, profile, who's online), changes to the gallery and file manager need finalized, timezone changes, installer rewrite, update to the default settings, and several minor items.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
JAISP #258302 04/14/2016 2:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Unfortunately I can not remember my pass word to login and my email address had changed a few years ago. It's the same login name for here I'm sure of it and it would be a JAISP email address

JAISP #258305 04/14/2016 4:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes it is the same login name here and there. Gizmo can you change my password for me or change my email so I can get a new password lol.

JAISP #258307 04/15/2016 2:59 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I just changed your EMail at UBBDev and sent the change password link, changed your title on both sites, and granted you access to the beta forum at UBBDev.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
JAISP #258308 04/15/2016 6:16 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you Gizmo.

JAISP #258572 07/18/2016 6:30 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Hi There

Is UBB.Threads death? Or can we wait for a new release.

lg Chris

JAISP #258573 07/18/2016 7:20 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads v7.6.0 is currently in development, and official announcements on the development can be found at UBBDev in the Official UBB.threads Announcements forum.

The latest "snapshot" of the Developer Preview (which is running here and at UBBDev) was updated on July 17th, 2016 (you can check the footer of any developer preview snapshot by looking at the footer:
preview build 20160717

JAISP #258577 07/20/2016 7:43 PM
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Are you guys getting paid to do this work? If not, why isn't UBB being Open Sourced?

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
JAISP #258578 07/20/2016 7:53 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by cascadeclimbers
Are you guys getting paid to do this work? If not, why isn't UBB being Open Sourced?

You may get many opinions to your question; mostly because the ownership of the software has changed many hands over the past few decades. Open sourcing a software with as much background as UBB has, isnt as straight forward as if it was open source since day one.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but its the answer I feel is best... even if it's not a complete answer.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
JAISP #258695 08/10/2016 7:54 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Is there a release date yet for 7.6.0?

JAISP #258696 08/10/2016 10:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
No date set at this time but it is looking like it may be in the near future.

JAISP #258705 08/13/2016 9:17 AM
Stranger
Stranger
Whatever the date, I'm looking forward to it! I said it on UBBDev but say it here again, keep up the good work, it's really appreciated!

JAISP #258706 08/13/2016 3:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We're glad that you're all liking what has been a long endeavor; we never imagined how much we'd end up rewriting for this release, let along how long it'd take (our last release of January 27th, 2015 until now has been spent working on v7.6.0; and that's with two sets of hands on the project)...

JAISP #258707 08/13/2016 3:34 PM
Veteran
Veteran
And if I wouldn't keep pointing things out all the time, lol, it might be going a little faster.

JAISP #258708 08/13/2016 3:47 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:snicker: If you saw the list that Isaac and I brainstormed when we decided on v7.6.0 vs v7.5.10 your pointing out things is just a little slice of the pie, lol... He'll message me about it every couple of days all "working our way through the list!", then I'll occasionally pop something off and it'll get added to a future list (there is a small portion in the beta forum).

JAISP #258709 08/16/2016 12:58 AM
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Are there any huge interface redesigns? Or are we sticking to the "old school" HTML tables - no flexbox, no AJAX? I'm not sure how much of this is actually embedded in the version, that's why I'm asking. smile

Naubel #258710 08/16/2016 1:14 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Naubel
Are there any huge interface redesigns? Or are we sticking to the "old school" HTML tables - no flexbox, no AJAX? I'm not sure how much of this is actually embedded in the version, that's why I'm asking. smile

What you see on this website right now, is what will be in the release version. UBBCentral.com is running the most current preview version. Check the build date in the footer.

• Flexbox specifications have changed a lot over the years. And its not completely compatible with all major browser released within the past decade. I believe that whats currently being used for version 7.6.0 (not flexbox) is working out just fine for displaying on mobile sized screens.
• Because AJAX makes multiple HTTP requests, it is a major hit on the server-side if you are dealing with large databases, which many of the current UBB.threads installs are. Its also bad for SEO. Users cannot bookmark AJAX pages. But, if you are asking for items such as lightbox, chatboxes or captcha, then yeah, UBB.threads 7.6.0 adds a few extras, but most of that is already part of version 7.5.x, and is just being carried forward, with updated/optimized code.

By "old-school," do you mean like HTML 4.01 from 1999, or like xHTML from 2000? Which are still heavily used today.
As of August 2016, HTML is used by 71.2% of websites.
As of August 2016, xHTML is used by 29.4% of websites.
https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/markup_language/all

Or do you just mean "transition from TABLE to DIV/SPAN for tabular layouts" -- its being worked on it. Its a huge upgrade job, but one thats happening as quickly as a few persons can make it happen. Though, the first step in that conversion is to get all of the inline styles out of the html pages and scripts, and put that in to the css/styles. Doing that has been a major job, especially since there are over 900 files which are being reworked to make that happen. At the same time, pages are being made mobile friendly. That in itself was a major job.

UBB.threads 7.6.0 will mostly be using current standards as its being transitioned to HTML5 and CSS3, while still trying to be backwards compatible with browsers released within the last decade. Basically IE11 will be the oldest browser version supported. And since Chrome and Firefox are not bundled with any OS and are regularly updated, those browsers have consistently been keeping up with current web language specs.

JAISP #258712 08/17/2016 4:45 PM
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
That's a great reply, thank you!

Just throwing it out there as a suggestion..

Math and science forums have become (or maybe they've always been) very popular, but usually lacked at providing the proper formatting for equations. Instead, you'd have to first learn something like LaTex, and maybe then create a PDF, and maybe then post it as an image. That process is a nightmare, especially for someone who doesn't know any of that.

Luckily, there is an API called MathJAX, which can be used to format all sorts of equations in XML.

For example, in the <head> we'd have the following:
Code
<script type="text/javascript" async src="https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=AM_CHTML"></script>
And using AsciiMath, a user would be able to write an equation in the form of
Code
`x = (-b +- sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a) `
This works well even if using a parser like JBBCode on the back-end.

And talking about code.. maybe a syntax highlighter? Would be a nice, simple addition. An example of a free one would be HighlightJS.

JAISP #258713 08/17/2016 6:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A syntax highlighter is already built in to UBB.threads. You need need to either use [php ] or [html ] or [sql ] instead of the general [code] UBBcode commands, so that UBB.threads can know how you want things highlighted. Its on demand highlighting, since not all posts and pages will have code comments that need to be highlighted by applying JavaScript to every page.

The parser part of the UBBCode scripts that have been within UBB.threads for many many years. The Style Editor also allows an admin to set the colors which they want their syntax to highlight with -- this is handy for when using a custom style where the background colors are dark, and the text colors are light.

For your unique site needs, If you want to add JavaScript that is not already included with UBB.threads, you can add stuff using header inserts in the admin Control Panel.

edit: Thanks for the links. good reading.

Using the example html on the page of your last link, this is an example of the UBBcode syntax highlighter which is already in UBB.threads for many years. There is no need to add any additional JavaScript or bulk (duplicate features) to UBB.threads, especially features which are already part of the the UBB.threads core software.

HTML
<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>Title</title>

<style>body {width: 500px;}</style>

<script type="application/javascript">
  function $init() {return true;}
</script>

<body>
  <p checked class="title" id='title'>Title</p>
  <!-- here goes the rest of the page -->
</body>

JAISP #258714 08/17/2016 7:00 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Further expanding on what Isaac suggested; in UBB.threads we've strived to make it easy for someone to hire a 3rd party developer to tune their site to their needs; you can add items to the <head>, header, footer via a textbox for those "includes" in the control panel. You can also add to the site styles through the style editor, and you can even craft your own BBCode via the BBCode editor.

Also, UBB.threads is commercial software, and as such we can only include additional scripts when their license allows it; which requires VERY SPECIFIC license types. If we where to a script which does not have a provision for Commercial Software, then it'd not only be a huge issue for the vendor (UBBSystems) but for the developers who included the scripts in the base code.

Now, I get that you have specific needs for your community, but these needs would be more specific to your site versus every install of UBB.threads out there, which is why we're pointing you towards options for customization.

JAISP #258716 08/18/2016 10:20 AM
I just wanted to say I'm thrilled to see someone is still working on and supporting UBB. I got all excited when I saw the announcement pop up in my control panel, especially considering it had been a year and a half since the last announcement.

I was afraid it had been abandoned completely, and I REALLY don't want to have to move my forums to another platform.

UBB is the lifeblood of my primary website.

It is what sets us apart from our competition, and a prime source of our traffic.

We are a (very) small family owned business and money is tight, but if I can do anything to help please let me know.

Looking forward to bigger and better things from the team at UBB.

All the Best,

Frank Baxter
Piano World
www.PianoWorld.com/forum

Founder/Host
Piano World
https://PianoWorld.com
Home of the world famous Piano Forums.
http://forum.PianoWorld.com
88,000+ registered members
Over 2.5 million posts, and growing...
JAISP #258717 08/18/2016 10:56 AM
Veteran
Veteran
The UBB Software is long from a dead product. The new 7.6.0. release is going to be magnificent in comparison to the previous versions. It will also lay the ground work for expansion for many years to come.

The work involved in 7.6.0 is massive and was required to allow for the continuation of the software. The entire software platform was rewritten from the ground up, this alone takes large amounts of time for completion. When released UBB.threads 7.6.0 will be the best community software on the market. Yes it has been quite some time since the past release but the wait is well worth it.

The current and most updated version of the software is always running here at UBB Central. Check back often and see the progress.

JAISP #258718 08/18/2016 3:12 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, what JAISP said, lol.

Most of the front end of the software has been rewritten, providing a spring board for future development, and yes, it's just taken this long to get it rewritten.

In the coming versions after 760 is released we'll end up doing more work on the database and queries, hence why were not bumping to v8 at this time.

With v759 we wanted a long term release that would be stable enough to be the spring board to 760; if you look at the UBBWiki UBB.threads v7.5.9 Changelog you'll see that, where it seems like a small update, a lot of work went into getting things standardized and getting defaults up to modern specs.

Whereas the UBB.threads v7.6.0 Changelogs you can see that a lot of work goes into the product over the coarse of just a couple of weeks, and it's all being actively developed; a couple of months ago things where deemed stable enough for is to carry the preview builds here and not just on UBBDev and our Beta Tester sites (for more information on becoming a Beta Tester, please see Beta Testing UBB.threads).

We know that several of you are eagerly anticipating a release, and we don't have a solid release date thus far, but it's coming as our list of requirements for a release dwindles.

JAISP #258732 08/27/2016 9:49 AM
B
B Offline
Two questions:
Any chance the smileys selection will be added to the quick reply? Also - is there any plan for a WYSIWYG editor?

Thanks,
B

bleavitt23 #258733 08/27/2016 9:54 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by bleavitt23
Two questions:
Any chance the smileys selection will be added to the quick reply? Also - is there any plan for a WYSIWYG editor?

you can type smiley in to just about every message entry box on UBB.threads and it will translate to the attached graphical image just as if you were in the full editor page.

The only difference betweent he Quick Reply box and the Full Editor, is that you are not presented with all the buttons and options. The Quick reply is Quick smile

In addition, the button bar doesnt need to be loaded with every post. This will shave off a slight bit of loading time on mobile browsers, along with lowering their data usage.

The buttons are only a single tap away, and the Quick Reply is quick wink

isaac #258738 08/29/2016 8:43 PM
B
B Offline
Yes I know you can type the smiley, but we have a lot of smileys and no one is going to remember the characters for all of them. Our members have requested this addition many times over the years so I thought I'd ask.

JAISP #258739 08/29/2016 8:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The Quick Reply system was developed to be a "No Frills" reply box, that doesn't use any type of additional JavaScript which could slow the page loading time. If your users want smilies they should use the Full Reply page; if the Quick Reply feature is causing some confusion you could disable it in the Control Panel and when they click the "Reply" button they'll be brought to the full editor.

Now, nothing would be stopping you from modifying your forums, or hiring a 3rd party developer to make any feature you'd like, to be run on your forums.

Gizmo #258740 09/01/2016 7:53 PM
B
B Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Now, nothing would be stopping you from modifying your forums, or hiring a 3rd party developer to make any feature you'd like, to be run on your forums.
I have thought about this. I don't personally know how to implement it, but I thought about it. Another forum on which I am a member still uses UBB.classic 6.7.3(!) and they implemented smileys and file upload with the quick reply, but the guy who did it is no longer around.

JAISP #258741 09/01/2016 8:05 PM
Veteran
Veteran
The best choice of action is to upgrade to the latest version. The 6.x series is far out of date compared to the UBB of today. Also if you would ever want to use automation to combat spammers from joining your forums the newest version has that as well. This alone requires less administrative intervention and more time to enjoy the community.

The advances between now and that series is immense and far more secure.

bleavitt23 #258742 09/01/2016 8:29 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by bleavitt23
I have thought about this. I don't personally know how to implement it, but I thought about it. Another forum on which I am a member still uses UBB.classic 6.7.3(!) and they implemented smileys and file upload with the quick reply, but the guy who did it is no longer around.
Wow, I'm always amazed to see UBB.Classic forums kicking around; the last version came out in like 2005. Unfortunately, their users are going to have a horrible experience with any sort of mobile browser (and since mobile makes up for a huge chunk of modern traffic, they'll be missing out on a lot of potential users accessing their content).

I would highly advise against making the Quick Reply a full fledged editor; mobile users aren't going to want to chew through their data plan on sites that have features that'll add bulk to their mobile browsing experience.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29