Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
K Offline
I need urgent help as I have to move host and my database needs to be far under the current 2GB.

I'm planning a pruning session, but I will have to keep stickies and announcements for sure.

How do I go about that? Help!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would advise against just blindly pruning topics, you'll be removing a lot of potentially valuable content... Also, the prune tool in the control panel doesn't have an option to differentiate from stickies/announcements vs user topics; unless your announcements are in a private forum (in which case you'd just not select that forum).

Big question, WHY do you have to have your database under 2gb? I don't have any such restrictions with the hosts that I work with...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
K Offline
Gizmo, thanks for replying. That's the US for you. We do have access to hosts like one.com that allow any size of database, but that is really hit and miss. Or we go for a server of our own, which is big money. GoDaddy has 1 GB limitation on database as well.

We know about the valuable content, but there is no other way. And after all, I'm talking 12 year old stuff here. We are going to selectively prune more 'random chat' categories to posts that are 5 year old or so and probably still have a backup around of old posts on a cheap one.com account.

About the stickies: we are going to move them into a separate forum as a backup and only then do the pruning.

Last edited by Kayjey; 01/22/2017 6:05 PM. Reason: added stickies info
if you are set on pruning..
Due to the large number of pruning that it appears. Not knowing how large it currently is.
You probably will need to run the appropriate rebuilders in the ubb control panel when you are finished pruning..

As far as a backup site at one.com
what is the point to have the complete old database there.
You can't export the pruned ones.
So you still would have the cost of a second site

Try calling https://expresshosting.net by phone and ask Tom.
On his plans he is more concerned about bandwidth and total storage than just database size.
Tell him what your needs are.
Be prepared to answer questions, he knows ubb and it's requirements very well because he hosts several members here..

Last edited by Ruben; 01/23/2017 2:40 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 963 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29