Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#259708 03/04/2017 11:07 AM
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Not sure if this is specifically a 7.6 issue, as I have not upgraded my Forum yet.

In recent times (weeks, months?) I've had a hard time staying logged in here. It seemed to be hit and miss, but I think I just nailed it down...

If I log in with Name and Password and I click the "keep me logged in" box.
I see Welcome message on Right side.
I click 'Active Threads' link... and message says... You are not logged in.

If I don't click the 'keep me logged in' box I can go to Active Threads and I'll stay logged in.

Is it just me?

Bill

Last edited by ECNet; 03/04/2017 11:10 AM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could be a cross domain cookie issue; are you visiting here via http://ubbcentral.com/ then when you're logged out is the url http://www.ubbcentral.com/?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Could be a cross domain cookie issue; are you visiting here via http://ubbcentral.com/ then when you're logged out is the url http://www.ubbcentral.com/?

coming here from my forum link (bottom of page (www) > Community > Login > all www

Once I'm here I can do it again and again with same results

Bill

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
I just did it like 5 times in a row. Logging in if I click the 'keep me logged in' box I can sit there on the Forum Summary page and it's giving me the welcome message.

As soon as I try to go somewhere, Portal, My Stuff, Forums, Active Threads it's telling me I'm logged out.

??
Bill

This has become like the holy grail.
This login issue has been fixed a multitude of times but it keeps coming back to haunt us.
My 2 cents is it is because all the browsers keep getting updated faster than updates for this software.

What is the browser and version you are using?

Last edited by Ruben; 03/04/2017 6:02 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
This has become like the holy grail.
This login issue has been fixed a multitude of times but it keeps coming back to haunt us.
My 2 cents is it is because all the browsers keep getting updated faster than updates for this software.

What is the browser and version you are using?
Ok, so it's not just me.

Currently using IE 11.

I'll try some others

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Chrome is [Linked Image]

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
FireFox is [Linked Image]

So it just seems to be MS Explorer

Is it Edge or IE
They are different.

Last edited by Ruben; 03/04/2017 7:24 PM.

Blue Man Group
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
IE, I don't know Edge

edge is a replacement browser for ie by microsoft
for example windows 10 it prompts you if you want to use edge.
In fact they push you to change to edge.
It looks very similar

Blue Man Group
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
I'm resisting Windows 10 as long as I can....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ECNet
As was I; after I finally got used to the tiles on the start menu I found W10 easier to take on. From purely a "I do Tech Support on the side" standpoint I kind of had to "get over it" and "get used to it", since W10 is slated to be a long term version of windows that is built upon versus replaced, and since my clients are moving over I just had to give in and do it...

I also took the time lately to replace our primary hard drives with SSD hd's and I'm really quite enjoying how well W10 manages a SSD drive.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
I know I'll have to bite the Bullitt sometime. I just know I'll lose one or more of my favorite applications due to incompatibility.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I am curious. Are you still using 16bit applications from the 90s? or applications which have not seen an update in over a decade?

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Originally Posted by ECNet
As was I; after I finally got used to the tiles on the start menu I found W10 easier to take on..

I replaced the tiles with Start 10 from stardock.. something a little more versatile and user friendly

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Ruben
edge is a replacement browser for ie by microsoft
for example windows 10 it prompts you if you want to use edge.
In fact they push you to change to edge.
It looks very similar

I "un-pinned" edge from the taskbar because of it's annoying popups whenever I fire up chrome.

especially the one about battery life... I'm on a desktop, I don't care about battery life!

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I replaced the tiles with Start 10 from stardock.. something a little more versatile and user friendly
I have used it, worked great for me in Win8; w10 has a start menu, and you can even disable tiles on it.

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
Originally Posted by id242
I am curious. Are you still using 16bit applications from the 90s? or applications which have not seen an update in over a decade?
I do have some older Applications which I still use.

Some do have Updates, but they are a drastically different animal from what I've been used to using. Others have no updates, but they are something I can't do without right now.

My wife and others in the Family have been using a Graphics program called Printmaster since back in the 90s. We've updated the program numerous times but then something happened after Win 7 - it stopped working...
They came out with a newer version, ok, but... it won't open the hundreds of files that were created with the prior versions ... What the Heck?? So, I've got a Win XP Machine still connected for just that purpose.

Bill

Veteran
Veteran
I truly believe any software product should always accept and use previous content used by that software as it was intended to be used from the past in all future releases. Even though technologies advance people have invested in the use of the previous products and the software developers should always take those instances into consideration during development.

All to often developers say stuff like this is the new standard. Well you had a standard in the past why not make the old standard acceptable with the new and have them both works together. In many instances it's not much more then a few characters or a line or two of code to make it happen. Ignorance in this area is always resulting in Loss of new sales and loss of some new customers.

But hey, what do I know lol........

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ECNet. I totally feel your pain. Many loved programs will probably never see a single update -- even after 20+ years.

the following has been put behind a spoiler tag because is unrelated to the thread topic:
Windows 10... General:
I work with FoxPro 2.6a for Windows (circa 1994) which is a 16-bit application. Windows 10 64-bit edition removed support for 16bit apps. There are quite a few POS (Point of Service) and DE (Data Entry) companies who still use FoxPro 2.6a. The software also stores its data in DB2 format. There is nothing wrong with this. Their application continues to do its main task, even 20 years later. Thats a good investment!

To get this 1994 16bit application to work with Windows 10, I've had to:
• Install the 32bit version of Windows 10. The memory limit in the 32bit version is capped at 3.5GB.
• Install Microsoft NTVDM - NT Virtual DOS Machine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_DOS_machine
NTVDM is only available for "Windows 10 32-bit" edition. "Windows 10 64-bit" edition supports only 64-bit applications with compatibility for 32-bit applications, not 16-bit applications.

After doing these two things, that 16bit application (for the most part) works fine again.

The highest versions of Windows which 16bit apps are compatible with, are:
** Windows 10 32-bit edition with NTVDM installed
** Windows Server 2008 32-bit edition (Build 6002)

If you're on Windows 10 32-bit edition, and you attempt to run a 16-bit application, a pop-up notice will tell you that you need to install NTVDM, and ask if you'd like to have it automatically downloaded and installed for you. This is a Microsoft program, and it downloads from microsoft.com servers.

Windows 10... RS1 and RS2:
20160801 - 1607 build 14393 - Redstone 1 (Anniversary Update)
2007Q1/Q2 - build 1548 - Redstone 2 -- The current Fast Ring Builds
I've not directly experienced many issues with these. And I recommend them. But I dont recommend IE11 or Edge.

Windows 10... TH2:
20151103 - 1511 build 10586 - Threshold 2
Windows 10 TH2 was much better. but still had tiles and not a proper (read: classic) Start Menu.

Windows 10... TH1:
20150715 - 1507 build 10240 - Threshold 1
The missing start menu was not fun at all. All the tiles were not fun either.

Windows 8
The Metro style start menu was not fun at all. Windows 8.1 was much better. For the most part, I didnt have problems with this OS version.

Windows 7
I didnt have problems with this OS version.

Windows VISTA
Creative Labs and Linksys (and many other hardware companies) suggested that if you were having issues in VISTA which you did not have in XP, that you need to buy new hardware. Creative Labs never released drivers for per-release version of VISTA, and they often took several weeks or months to release one after the fact (zero audio for several months). Linksys just said by new hardware. Because of that, I had about a dozen unopened boxes of LNE100TX and WMP110 Linksys cards that ended up in a landfill somewhere.

Last edited by id242; 03/06/2017 8:58 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E Offline
OK...

I just Updated from 7.59 to 7.6 and had a Member contact me about the same login/logout problem. He's also using IE 11
So, maybe it is related to 7.6

Any ideas?

Update: It could have been happening with 7.59 too

Last edited by ECNet; 03/19/2017 3:14 PM. Reason: added Update
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Uncheck the "Keep me logged in" box during login. This is a bug with Internet Explorer since many version of UBB.threads.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...remember-me-problem-in-internet-explorer
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/243975/member-login-issues
just to list two (of a several hundred)

If you do a search for "Internet Explorer" on the UBB.threads support forums, you'll see that the posts go way back to even v6 in 2005.

I believe Microsoft Edge finally has the cookie issues fixed.

my language file for my login page looks like this

Remember me on each visit.(Microsoft Edge Do not tick this box. It logs you out.).

Had that in place for years, i also say use firefox or chrome wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29