Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Stranger
Stranger
E Offline
After upgrading to 7.6.0, my external post island (aka post_island_11.php) is getting the following error, when display externally on another php file.

Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\Web\etplanet\forums\languages\english\generic.php on line 117

Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\Web\etplanet\forums\languages\english\generic.php on line 186

Last edited by E T P; 03/12/2017 9:11 AM. Reason: [ Already Fix ]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Have you tried to recreate your external post island again?
Have you updated the files in the cache_builders/ directory to your server? (cache_builders/ ONLY. not cache_builders/custom/)
Have you cleared your forum cache since your upgrade?

If neither of those work for you, here are some further troubleshooting ideas:

A) Make a backup of the file languages\english\generic.php which is already on your server, and then placing a fresh copy of it from your ubbthreads-7-6-0.zip archive in to that folder.

B) If you manually updated your language files by hand:
Double check those two listed line numbers in your language file to confirm that they are formatted correctly -- like the other lines in that file.

C) If you allowed the upgrader to automatically update your language files:
Those two line numbers will be unique to your language files. You can zip up that file and attach it here. Then someone can view it and locate exactly what the problem is caused by.

Ultimately though, since you are using a custom external post island, you might want to open that island up and see if there are any conflicting items within it.

---

Though, someone else may come along with further ideas. These are what I have as right now.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
E
Stranger
Stranger
E Offline
Have you tried to recreate your external post island again?
-Moving to post_island_12.php creates the same error.

Have you updated the files in the cache_builders/ directory to your server? (cache_builders/ ONLY. not cache_builders/custom/)
-Yes, have reupload again. Same error.

Have you cleared your forum cache since your upgrade?
-Yes, also have re-cleared. Same error.

A--> Have already tried that, but forgot to backup before uploading.

B--> Not apply

C--> I have allowed the upgrader to update the file automatically.

Would uploading 7.5.9 generic.php helps? Since I did backup before upgrading. But did not do it before re-uploading that file.

Btw, it does post all the topic/message, just that the error appears at the beginning.
When posted, it is above the "Name" of the post island.

"Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\Web\etplanet\forums\languages\english\generic.php on line 117
Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\Web\etplanet\forums\languages\english\generic.php on line 186
Latest Post" <-- my name of the post island

Note: I was upgrading from 7.5.9 to 7.6.0

Also, the post island is there to show recent post. No other codes are added/used.

E
Stranger
Stranger
E Offline
I think I have fixed it myself.

Control Panel -> Language -> "Search / Edit Language Strings" tab -> select generic.php and search.
Do nothing on this page, just click "Update Language File" button near the bottom of this page.

Error disappear. Thanks for helping.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by E T P
I think I have fixed it myself.

Error disappear. Thanks for helping.

You're welcome

The solution is a strange one. I'm glad that you got it taken care of.

I was impressed with how many different ways you attempted to solve the issue before posting for additional ideas. I was also impressed that you replied back in such detail. Yours was a good read and a good post! Thank you

E
Stranger
Stranger
E Offline
Using an online website to check the difference between the two files.

Compare original 7.6.0 (from zip) with the updated 7.6.0 (that I did nothing)

All of those lines that start with "//" are removed.
--> line 73/74/104/105 are now blank

Problem in line 117:
original: $ubbt_lang['UNDERAGE'] = "Sorry, you must be {$config['MINIMUM_AGE']} or older to post.";

new: $ubbt_lang['UNDERAGE'] = "Sorry, you must be or older to post.";

Problem in line 186:
original: $ubbt_lang['NO_PROCEED3'] = "Return to the <a href=\"javascript:history.go(-1)\" class=\"bold\">previous page</a> or use <a href=\"{$config['BASE_URL']}/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search\" style=\"font-weight:bold;\">search</a> if you are looking for something specific.";

new:
$ubbt_lang['NO_PROCEED3'] = "Return to the <a href=\"javascript:history.go(-1)\" class=\"bold\">previous page</a> or use <a href=\"/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search\" style=\"font-weight:bold;\">search</a> if you are looking for something specific.";

Maybe this is a bug? Anyways, thanks again.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lines that begin with "//" are comment lines. Blank lines and comment lines are used to add readability to the code but are not required for it to execute.

{$config['MINIMUM_AGE']} and {$config['BASE_URL']} are variable strings which the base php software populates with data from your forum configuration.

{$config['MINIMUM_AGE']} -- is taken from Control Panel > Registration Settings | Age Verification > Minimum Age Required
When you enable the Age Verification feature, it will display a notice to them of why they are not allowed to create an account. For example, If your forum has content on it which would not be appropriate for persons under a certain age, or if you only wanted to allow people over a certain age to register -- such as a dating site.

{$config['BASE_URL']} - is taken from Control Panel > DB, Paths & URLs | Paths & URLs > Relative URL to Main Directory
This variable is used for the relitive url on your websites main directory path. Some websites set use "/" and install their UBB.threads in the root of thier domain. Some websites place each of their scripts in to directories which make sense for categories, such as /forums or /threads or even /ubbthreads. And finally, Some websites prefer to use absolute paths. So they would enter their entire url ( http://www.EXAMPLE.com/forums ) in that box -- Duplicating "Full URL to Main Directory " within the "Relative URL to Main Directory" entry box.

Veteran
Veteran
I had a very similar issue when I did my upgrade and when I went into the language editor and was scrolling down I kind of got an OCD moment and changed the wording on something and then saved it.

After doing this I went back to try and find what my problem was and I no longer had a problem. What you explained here answered why my problem went away all of a sudden.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29