Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Old Hand
Old Hand

Hi

I noticed my self right away that the 7.6 takes longer to load. Left column and header/footer is quick but the actual forum takes a bit longer than 7.5.9 did.
A few of our members has mentioned this as well like below person did. Do we have an answer for this that I can sharewith my members?

Morgan,

Thanx again for all you do, I understand your time constraints.

Just an OBSERVATION (NOT a complaint) - the forum take significantly longer to load on my computer, (with cookies cleaned, so that's not contributing).

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When I'm at your site with an ad blocker, your site loads very quick. But as soon as I view it with all the ads you've got turned on, especially the Shareaholic (which is proven to slow sites to a crawl), your site takes a while to navigate through pages. I'm on an intel i7-4790 CPU @ 4GHz w/32GB of DDR3-1866 RAM, and still get slowed down -- no mater how fresh my OS install is, or which browser I am running.

Turning OFF Shareaholic will instantly improve page-load times.

The rest of your ads all seem to be static images or straight-forward animated gifs. While those increase the size of your page and the time is required to download each page, they are not flash/script-based. This is good laugh Thought, you do have at least 11 ads running on each and every page.

EDIT:
If disabling Shareaholic is not something you want to do, you could optimize it. Have a quick read through these two links
https://support.shareaholic.com/hc/en-us/articles/204339849-Shareaholic-and-Site-Speed
and
http://www.dianastarts.com/shareaholic-wordpress-slow-down/

Both found through doing a Google search for "shareaholic slow"

Last edited by isaac; 03/25/2017 9:27 PM. Reason: added Shareaholic optimize / links

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you look at the debug information in your footer:
Page Time: 0.028s Queries: 9 (0.007s) Memory: 1.6056 MB (Peak: 1.7083 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-03-26 07:27:15 UTC

You can see that the page was generated pretty quickly, it's the external assets (javascript, images, etc) that're slowing down the users browser after the page is built.

If you're looking to trim any bloat, Pingdom has a test for showing all assets that your page generates.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
Your comments are good as it makes me think and understand about general load times but it actually is different after 7.6 and I have not altered anything so I was asking if 7.6 is maybe more sensitive than 7.5.9 was.

I see that it loads the header and left column fast and the the forum and footer with a delay up to several seconds.
Its not a big issue but if I keep getting complaints then I maybe need to delete some of the scripts

I have had a script call for the banner schem there for almost 20 years, and some static banners and nowadays google analytics, ebay and shareaholic scrips.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac, I only have shareaholic share and follow icons, no banners exposed from them.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Veteran
Veteran
On my forum in have 34 active forums with Shareaholic and my debug info is Page Time: 0.081s Queries: 11 (0.012s) Memory: 2.8090 MB (Peak: 3.0316 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-03-26 10:52:50 UTC. It loads fairly fast. This is my beagle forum.

Now on my other site I have 11 forums and the debug is Page Time: 0.029s Queries: 10 (0.006s) Memory: 2.5231 MB (Peak: 2.6516 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-03-26 10:56:01 UTC and I'm also running Shareaholic. Both load very quickly.

I was using an iPad 3 with both and they loaded rather quickly, with in 2 - 3 seconds each.

I'm running 760 release 20170223

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
JAISP, yup, 0.029s to load the PHP, with the 0.006s seconds to execute 10 database queries, is pretty good

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I was not sure but I thought it looked ok for what I'm currently running.

Originally Posted by isaac
Turning OFF Shareaholic will instantly improve page-load times.

I just commented out the shareaholic code, and the pages load instant compared to previously.
BTW i'm on 7.5x

Never even give it a thought until i read this post.

(thumbs up)

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't have any problems with Shareaholic, but then again, I have all of their advertising code disabled and only use share buttons (even if you THINK you don't have ads installed, they turned them on for everyone, so go in and turn them back off, especially the one that Isaac's article mentions as it's basically "hidden" as opposed to the other options that're fairly clear).

Even with all the ads turned off I could see it trying to launch ads on a mobile device. Never make any money from the ads, and to be fair our members don't use it that much.

I will test with the settings you mention when I get a moment to try it out.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Even this? Because this can cause load issues...
Attachments
shareaholic-trusted3rdparty.png

Cheers Gizmo smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29