Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260071 04/24/2017 4:46 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Oh don't know how to explain this mess.
My host said they need to move my VPS accout to a new server.
I had in mind to close our forum prior to the move. However I received an email
saying
Your Server new.britbike.com has been setup!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

~ InterServer, Inc ~

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Hello Morgan Johansson,
Your new VPS has been successfully setup!
+---------------------------------------------------+

| new.britbike.com |

+---------------------------------------------------+
Package: OpenVZ VPS Slice (CentOS 3 Slices)
IP Address: xxx.231.189.4

The new IP is xxx.231.189.4 so I was worried that messages was still posted to the old mysql on xxx.231.189.8 so I changed the 8 to a 4 in the >>>> » Control Panel » Primary settings.
and hit open the forum but nothing happened it got a white screen when trying to open the forum.
So I did following in Admin panel change back the digit 4 to 8 and submitted, then nothing happened a white screen.

so I went back to the forum window and hit reopen the page and got an error saying there is a problem finding mysql xxx.231.189.4 and then I open
the old root ftp account and manually changed the config.inc.php and set back to xxx.231.189.8

then tested and I get
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'DATABASE_USER' (T_STRING), expecting ')' in /XXXXXX/XXXXX/XXXXX/includes/config.inc.php on line 4
when trying again.

So now I'm totally lost,
my host says now
Currently a new server is prepped with cpanel installing. The change over has not occurred. The new vps is only to copy the data to, then the ips will swap. I will follow up when the copy starts. No changes will be needed on your end.

John Quaglieri
InterServer, Inc

Is above totally BS to you or do you have any ideas???
PLEASE ADVICE

Last edited by Morgan; 04/24/2017 4:58 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old Hand
Old Hand
Now I have uploaded a config file but it was was one moth old and it works again... I know I have changed several settings in that file... image settings and so on but that I can fix later.
I will not open the forum again until I know that the server switch is done and I have info if I shall chande the Database Server Name IP address..
I'm very much in need of input so PLEASE advice if you can..

Last edited by Morgan; 04/24/2017 5:04 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Had they finished moving all of the files over by the time you where trying to get threads working again? It sucks that they had to move you over, but if hardware was starting to fail on your old machine it could save your site (nothing is worse than a drive failure that needs to be sent out for recovery).

A proper move would be to make a snapshot, move the data over to a different machine then move over the domain/ip's after the files have been moved over and database info updated (if applicable, most people just use "localhost" unless using a database server on another machine).

You can use a file comparison utility (like Beyond Compare), or if you have the patience to compare it manually, to check the differences of your old config file to the one you had earlier that was broken.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
Apparantly they Only had copied the files to a new server and not switched IT all
That will happen soon, it's almost midnight here and I need to sleep and when I wake up I might have more news, what I don't know it what happen with the MySQL server ip if it will keep an digit 8 in the end or needs to be changed to a 4.

The server change was due to CP couldn't be updated in WHM so a new VPS server had to be installed.

So you think I should have used Localhost as database server address? Instead of an IP address

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd close the forum so no posts are made, then use localhost so it uses the local server versus a defined IP address.

Your issue is likely due to older processors that don't support 64 bit, WHM only has one, severely outdated, Long Term Release version that supports 32 bit; I know they've been updating some users as I have a couple of clients that're still there that haven't been upgraded yet.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
Forum has been closd now for 8 hours or so and I just changed value from IP address to value "localhost" and nothing bad happened so I hold my thumbs.
Now I need info from ISP on the status of the move. I don't think its being done yet

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
Gizmo yes you are right the info I received before was

Your server needs an upgrade since we cannot install or update cPanel & WHM on 32-bit operating systems.

A new server with latest Centos 7 64 bit OS is needed here. We can upgrade your server, please let us know a convenient time for it.

upgrading a cpanel server to centos7 generally goes smooth. The method InterServer uses to upgrade is as follows:

* set up a new centos7 server with cpanel (stable version)
* Match mysql versions, if possible. MySQL 5.5 is the lowest possible version supported on a new centos7 install. Note: It is recommended to upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6 or mariadb 10. That could be considered after the migration is done
* Match PHP as best as possible. PHP 5.4 is the lowest version supported by a new cpanel install. The new set up allows the choice php php 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7 and 7.1 per domain. PHP 5.2 and 5.3 is not supported by cpanel. If these are needed I recommend Cloudlinux OS (requires kvm or a full dedicated server) which supports older php versions.
It may be possible to hack in php 5.3 or 5.2 using .htaccess but this set up may not be reliable.
* Once set up all accounts are copied over from the old server to the new server. Then data is kept in sync using rsync, and a time for a final change over is choosen. A final sync is done, and the ips are moved from the old server to the new server. The downtime is generally in total under 30 minutes.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
Giz, what do you recommend? I have not heard from host, I see that there are two VPS accounts in running mode, the new has a new ipaddress so I guess thay have not swapped yet.
my forum is still closed and i don't get any answers. Dunno if I dare to open it.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would leave it closed until the move has been competed, otherwise you could end up with data issues when they migrate your database. I'm surprised though that they're taking so long, one would expect them to do things in chunks and give users some sort of eta.

Old Hand
Old Hand
ok will do, There might be a data issue anyway as they copied the website to the new server and then i discovered it 2-3 hours later and then I closed the forum and changed to localserver. Also uploaded the config file that was one month old.

If they use the forum on the new server then I guess i will lose some of the posts made during the 2-3 hours laps.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29