you mean php safe mode then ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yep, php safe mode.

Allen, yeah that's where I'm running into the problem. Will have to allow it to run under both methods, but when safe mode is on it's not going to be as scalable since we can't create new directories. We'll have to just stuff everything into one directory on that condition.

Rick #183714 05/02/2007 7:49 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I concourr... Safe mode does suck... In fact, it sucks so badly that PHP6 doens't come with it anymore wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #183761 05/03/2007 12:41 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Require php5 wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
safemode exists in PHP5 though..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Though I am curious at what point we require PHP5 lol

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well considering we still have quite a few potential customers that are on hosts that are still running something earlier than PHP 4.3, it will be awhile before we make the leap to having PHP5 as a requirement. wink

Rick #183781 05/03/2007 7:54 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
To add to that, like I said, we can code around it where needed. If safe_mode is turned on, then it will just dump all of the gallery uploads into a default/thumbs, default/medium, default/large directories that will be created on the install/upgrade. When it's off it will create a subdirectory for that particular forum using the forum id.

The latter will offer the best performance, but if you're on a shared host then chances are your site isn't overly huge so dumping everything into one directory won't be too bad. If you have so many pictures uploaded where it becomes a problem, then most people would be looking at switching to a bit higher end host anyways where safe mode could be turned off.

Rick #183784 05/03/2007 8:11 PM
Originally Posted by Rick
Well considering we still have quite a few potential customers that are on hosts that are still running something earlier than PHP 4.3, it will be awhile before we make the leap to having PHP5 as a requirement. wink

Phew smile smile

But i can Turn Safe mode off smile

I don't think Direct Admin (My Server control panel) supports php5 yet officially.
And i haven't a clue how to upgrade to it.
along with mysql its a nightmare Gizmo can do with out lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Psh, if you screw up your server, I'm so charging you to fix it lol...

Can't wait for PHP6 though, looks like fun and a headache all at the same time lol...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Wouldn't it be easier to just specify that safe mode must be disabled in order to fully run UBB?

I know that other software specifies this - shouldn't see why you should have to conform to having safe mode enabled.

Ian #183899 05/06/2007 6:00 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It would be easier, but with a lot of hosts it's not an option or possibility, and people don't want to have to switch hosts just to run a script; especially when they're comfortable with situations at that host...

Gizmo #183902 05/06/2007 11:17 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, it would definitely be easier to do that Ian wink But we have a lot of customers that are somewhat stuck on, or just don't want to move from, their current host that has safe_mode enabled.

So this will at least give them an option to have gallery forums, but it won't be as scalable as it would be on a host that doesn't have safe_mode enabled.

Rick #183906 05/06/2007 3:19 PM
P
P Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
Will have to allow it to run under both methods, but when safe mode is on it's not going to be as scalable since we can't create new directories. We'll have to just stuff everything into one directory on that condition.
It is not really a safe mode problem but a permission issue with mod_php. Basically, Apache's PHP module is creating the directories under the owner/user of the Apache webserver instead of the owner/user of the script. With enabled safe mode the script and directory must have the same owner.

A fix for this problem is using PHP with suexec. Some hosting control panel such as the pretty popular cPanel have suexec support.

On another note, it is also possible to store files in the MySQL database. This is sometimes even faster then files on the file system.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Philipp
On another note, it is also possible to store files in the MySQL database. This is sometimes even faster then files on the file system.
I would recommend against it, possible overhead issues that will likely be a pain for users who just want a simple gallery

P
P Offline
It could be added as optional feature so the users can choose whatever they want.

I must admit that I was longtime myself not a big fan of MySQL based attachments or templates. However, this changed with the caching abilities of MySQL 4.1+

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We may add MySQL storage as an option at some point. We'll start with flat file storage for the initial release. When I started I had to make the decision to go with one way or the other. The downside to MySQL storage is many of our customers have limited MySQL storage space but a lot of actual hard drive space. The second factor is that if the image is stored in MySQL it can't be cached by the browser, as far as I know, which leads to more bandwidth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29