Long before the Bulova Watch Company would become famous the world over, long before there was the famous Bulova Observatory on top of a Fifth Avenue skyscraper, the company existed as a small jewelry store on Maiden Lane, in New York City, owned and operated by Joseph Bulova. We now know that a young shop assistant named John Ballard convinced Joseph to start selling watches directly to other retailers, leading to the establishment of watch factories in Switzerland and the U.S.A. The rest of course is watch history, with Bulova being one of the most recognized names in the field.
I am pleased to offer for sale the following vintage Bulova timepiece, a ladies diamond accented model that is in excellent condition. This stylish, late Art Deco cocktail watch is crafted of 14kt Solid Rose & White Gold, made in 1943 at the height of WWII.
Triple-signed for Bulova (case, dial and mechanism), it measures 33mm end to end and 16mm in width (17.5mm with matching rose gold crown). This works out to be 1-1/4 inches long by 5/8 of an inch wide. Total length with cord band is 7-3/4 inches and I can adjust the size before mailing to the winner. My talented and Bulova-trained watchmaker David has fully serviced its original 17 jewel manual wind mechanism and it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The rose gold, enamel finished dial is in excellent condition, professionally restored to its correct, original status. It features a 60 minute outer chapter, black enamel painted Breguet style numerals and blue steel hands. Signed BULOVA below the 12.
The domed and curved crystal is in excellent, clear condition, removed in some photos to avoid glare. The two-piece case is 14 Karat Solid Rose Gold with contrasting White Gold lugs and engraved bezel accents. Set into these accents are two genuine diamonds. The rose gold winding crown is in excellent shape, operating smoothly.
Turning the watch over I note that the back lid is also in excellent order with no wear or inscriptions. It is stamped BULOVA, 14K GOLD with case number E287270. Peeking inside I find a clean Seventeen Jewel, manual wind movement that is stamped Bulova Watch Co., Seventeen 17 Jewels, [Caliber] 6AH, SWISS, BXW. It is also stamped with a CROSS date code stamp, indicating it was made in 1943.
This cleaned, oiled and regulated watch winds and sets smoothly while keeping very good, accurate time. It is fitted with a vintage old stock black cord strap with white metal clasp and fittings, it matches the white gold accents and lugs on the case. The overall measurement of watch and band is 7-3/4 inches but if you need this shorter just let me know and I can easily adjust the size before mailing. Thanks for dropping by to view this beautiful Art Deco cocktail watch, as pretty as they come!
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I am especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact case measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in one photo as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, watches for men made from the 1910s to 1970s were noticeably smaller than what is considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: please take a moment to introduce yourself via the message system prior to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $7.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) are required to pay 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $21.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I pay the insurance) or $35 for EMS Global Express, a bit faster. International buyers pay $49.00 for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance. I do provide a Registered Air Mail shipping option ($25.00) to a limited number of countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you are an international buyer please wait until I invoice you with your shipping options.
- International buyers, please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. I ship within 24 hours of receiving your cleared payment but your local custom authorities can cause delays. Expect it to take 7 to 30 days for international delivery.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you have contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David, in NYC) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add me as one of your favorite sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s to the 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies cocktail watches.
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.
- My very old dog, Cautious Carl, and I want thank everyone for 15 GREAT YEARS on . Keep on ticking!
On May-29-13 at 19:45:26 PDT, seller added the following information: