WWII US MARINE CORPS PILOT'S AN-6552 FLIGHT JACKET
LIEUTENANT CLYDE HENRY MacFARLANE
INCLUDES OVER 100 PAGES OF DOCUMENTS & RECORDS
TWO PHOTOGRAPHS & HIS PLOTTING BOARD
HANDWRITTEN LETTER FROM HIM STATING IT WAS HIS BOARD
***EXCELLENT CONDITION JACKET - SIZE 40***
This sale is for an ORIGINAL World War Two United States Marine Corps issued AN-6552 Flight Jacket worn by TBF Avenger Pilot Lieutenant Clyde Henry MacFarlane of Irvington, New Jersey. This flight jacket comes with LT MacFarlane's plotting board that he used aboard the Aircraft Carrier USSSolomons, a copy of his COMPLETE WWII USMC Flight Training Record, a Photo of him with his VMTB Squadron aboard theSolomons wearing this jacket,a Photo of Him During Flight Training and A LETTER THAT LT MACFARLANE WROTE late in life stating that this was his plotting board that he used it while flying from the carrierSolomons. The photos and flight records are high quality reproductions of the originals. As stated, you can see that LT MacFarlane is WEARING THIS JACKET in the Squadron Photo. He also took the time to write the names of all the pilots on the back. He also wrote on the back that the photo was taken aboard the aircraft carrier Solomons. You can actually see the water and a portion of the carrier's "Island" in the background. This is one of the most well documented and well preserved USMC collections that we have ever offered. This is a very rare pattern of jacket that did not exist for a long period of time. The AN-6552 is very similar to the M-422A and the later G1. However, the AN-6552 was designed for use by multiple forces, hence the "AN" or Army / Navy Designation. Unlike other flight jackets of WWII it also utilized a "blackened" or anodized brass zipper. Truly a scarce jacket.
A point of interest regarding LT MacFarlane and this collection. The aircraft carrier USS Solomons, CVE-67, was one of the US Navy assets assigned in December of 1945 to search for the ill fated members of "Flight 19" as well as the crew of a PBY Catalina Flying Boat that was also lost. This event is perhaps the most well known in regard to the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle and we still do not know what happened to them to this day. As stated, these events occurred in December of 1945, as per the records you receive her,e LT MacFarlane was still assigned to NAS Miami and the USS Solomons until January of 1945. It definitely appears that he may very well have been one of the pilots that searched for the lost members of the infamous Flight 19 and the lost PBY. He himself states here that he was assigned to a VMTB squadron aboard Solomons. We know he used this board while serving aboard CVE-67 and very interestingly, he mentions how the plotting board was used on search missions. . . there is a very good chance that the flight jacket and plotting board you see here were utilized in the searches for the ill fated Flight 19 crews.
1. US Marine Corps Issued Size 40 AN-6552 Flight Jacket - EXCELLENT CONDITION -This is absolutely one of the BEST Condition ALL ORIGINAL WWII flight jackets that you will ever find! It is an extremely rare jacket in extremely rare condition. The AN-6552 jacket was a pattern of flight jacket only used for a brief period of time during the war. It was designated an "AN" because it was to be utilized by both the Army and Navy. That is why it has "US" stamped in bold yellow letters to the back of the collar other than "USN" like the Navy designated M-422A. This pattern is very similar to the WWII M-422A and the more modern USN G1 flight jacket that is still in use today. This style of jacket was manufactured with Anodized or "Blackened" Brass TALON Zipper, other designs did not use the blackened brass. The Talon Zipper, Cuffs and Waistband are completely ORIGINAL to the jacket and have no repairs. The Zipper, Cuffs and Waistband are in EXCELLENT CONDITION as well. The waistband is very near perfect, but the cuffs have small worn through places to the rear of them. these spots are very small and only though the first layer of the material. They are also to the rear, inside of the cuffs and not visible when the jacket is displayed. This is a goatskin jacket and shows almost no age or wear to the leather. It is as solid as the day it was made! It maintains its original RED Silk Liner that shows light signs of age, use and wear. The liner is very solid but does has wear and a few small holes where the liner meets the mouton fur collar. The liner maintains its original woven AN-6552 Contract tag that is worn but readable. It lists the jacket as a SIZE 40, gives the contract number and states that the jacket was manufactured by H & L Block. It also maintains LT MacFarlane's ORIGINAL WWII Name Tag with Gilt Naval Aviator Wings with "C.H. MacFarlane - USMCR" below them. This is a Large name tag and is the original WWII Name Tag that can be seen in the photo of him wearing the jacket! The name tag is excellent as well and as firmly stitched to the jacket as the day it was sewn there! The mouton fur collar is still thick and plush. It has no fur loss and no damage at all. This is truly a BEAUTIFUL example of a very well documented, very rare jacket worn by a WWII United States Marine Corps Carrier Pilot!
2. WWII US Navy Mark 5-A Plotting Board - GOOD to VERY GOOD CONDITION -Board shows light wear, age and use but remains very solid with no cracks or damage. The large circular graph is missing the brass ferrule that holds it to the larger square portion of the board. The large round graph is not connected, but this could be an EASY fix with a small ferrule or dowel. All other aspects of the board are extremely solid and all markings are very clear and legible. The small, circular air speed and altitude computer is in excellent condition and very firmly attached to the square board. It is marked BU. AERO US NAVY, MARK 8. Overall great original piece that truly belonged to and was used by LT MacFarlane while flying the TBM "Avenger" with the Marines in WWII.
3. Original Letter From LT MacFarlane Stating This is His Plotting Board - EXCELLENT CONDITION -With this collection comes a letter that LT MacFarlane wrote late in life to the gentleman who obtained these items directly from LT MacFarlane himself. The gentleman had already obtained the flight jacket and LT MacFarlane mailed him the photo and plotting board to him at a later date. The letter is handwritten on a sheet of notebook paper and as stated was written by LT MacFarlane late in his life. He passed away in 2000. The letter is not signed by LT MacFarlane but a COMPARISON of the Handwriting in the letter to his handwriting in his WWII Flight Training Record that you also receive shows that the handwriting in the letter IS IN FACT LT MacFarlane's own handwriting. In the letter he describes the use of the plotting board and mentions the squadron photo as well. The letter States:
"Jon - Find enclosed a Navigational Plotting Board that I used when I flew the TBF Avenger (This was on a pull out below the instrument panel). All single engine pilots did their own navigational whether on land or sea. At sea, in the ready room of the carrier you were given the wind direction and force (speed), also the carrier's course and speed. You would plot both on this plotting board. Then you would be given your assignment whether it would be a bomb run or a sector search flight. everything you plot on the board as it would give you your courses and times as that you could plot the proper course to get back to the carrier. (No electronic homing devices) Also find the picture of the Torpedo Bomber Squadron I was a part of taken aboard the carrier CVE U.S.S. Solomons."
4. USMC Torpedo Bombing Squadron Photo - EXCELLENT CONDITION, LIKE NEW -Photo of LT MacFarlane's World War II TBF Avenger Torpedo Bomber Squadron that he served with aboard the USS Solomons. The photo is an 8 x 10 copy of the original that was given to the original collector of these items who obtained them directly from LT MacFarlane. ON THE BACK in LT MacFarlane's OWN HANDWRITING reads:"This was taken aboard the carrier CVE USS Solomons August 1945. Front Row L - R, Alvien Gee, Fred Leckre, William O'Toole, Joseph Grogan, Nick Semack, Donald Osord. Back Row Standing L - R, Charles Wood, Albert Barlon, Edward Nadalm, Wesley Collins, Clyde MacFarlane. All 2nd LT. (NAVC) Marine Air Corps" This picture is in LIKE NEW CONDITION and you can see LT MacFarlane very clearly. In fact, you can see him so clearly that you can read the name tag on the jacket and tell that he is wearing the exact same jacket that you see here! Frame is included.
5. Photo of LT MacFarlane During Training - NEW REPRODUCTION in EXCELLENT CONDITION -This is a 5 x 7 reproduction of the original photograph from LT MacFarlane's flight training record. The photo is crystal clear and you can clearly read "Student Aviator, US - MACFARLANE, C" at the bottom. You receive this photo and we can also email the winning buyer the high quality scans of the original. Frame is included.
6. LT MacFarlane's Complete WWII USMC Flight Training Record - NEW REPRODUCTION in EXCELLENT CONDITION -Over 100 Pages of clear photocopied Documents and Records that entail EVERY ASPECT of LT MacFarlane's training and station assignments from 1944 until his release from active duty in January of 1946!!! You receive documents and forms that were written and filled out by LT MacFarlane himself, copies of orders, copies of forms releasing him from active duty as well as every detail of his primary, advanced, gunnery, carrier training and tactics as well as bombing training!!! Even the orders to NAS Miami, NAS Corpus Christie, USNAS Chicago, Glenview, Illinois, NAS Chase Field and the document stating he is qualified and cleared for "duty involving flying." This is a VERY IN-DEPTH and VERY DETAILED look into the training of not just LT MacFarlane but all USMC Aviator's of WWII. Some of the forms have detailed information about LT MacFarlane that he filled out himself. Excellent copy of his his release order with a beautiful, ornate EGA and US Marine Corps at the top. There is also information here that involves where he was from, where he went to school, why he wanted to fly and even more. Every page is named to him and has many detailed and handwritten notes by his instructors. The notes include such statements as, "Good Landings, Above Average Head Work, Safe for Solo. . . Student flew very good hop. All work very smooth & well controlled & executed. Definitely above average. . . Very good student, has very good head work and understands full panel quite well . . . Has trouble splitting hedges while bracketing . . . Hop all very good, landings quite safe . . . Retains instruction well, alert and quick to react." Plus, hundreds of other handwritten statements and details! From the looks of the training records, LT MacFarlane was a great pilot! This Flight Instruction Record is an excellent read! You will have trouble putting it down and will want to read every page! All print and writing is clear, bold and easy to read! A wonderful document that was very recently researched and obtained from the US Navy by us. It is a wonderful addition that heavily documents this collection!
This is truly an AMAZING and MUSEUM QUALITY collection! It is absolutely for the very advanced, most discerning collector. This may very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a near pristine, completely original, documented and named WWII US Marine Corps Pilot's Flight Jacket! It appears that he may have even been one of the pilots that searched for the infamous "Flight 19" of Bermuda Triangle fame. I truly am extremely impressed with this collection and you will be to! It could be the centerpiece of any collection. It could very proudly be displayed in any military or Marine Corps museum anywhere in the world. Now it can be in your museum and a beautiful piece of your highly valued collection. You will be extremely pleased and impressed by this rare WWII United States Marine Corps Pilot's Collection. We guarantee it 100% and guarantee that everything stated in this sale is a complete and accurate fact to the best of our knowledge and ability. Everything we have stated is documented! PLEASE EXAMINE all photos closely and ask any questions that you may have. We cannot thank you enough for looking and for offerding. We greatly appreciate all of our wonderful customers, all over the world!!!
LT Clyde Henry MacFarlane's life is very well documented in the research that you will receive with this sale. I will not go into great detail here. I will tell you that he was born in Irvington, New Jersey on 12 January 1923 to Clyde B and Lillian MacFarlane. He passed away in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey on 1 December 2000. He was an engineering student with three and one half years of college when he left school to join the Marines in 1943. I will leave the rest of the information for you to see and read when you receive the collection! You will be very impressed and will not be disappointed.
If you are interested in unique pieces of real World War I and World War II history, then RUSH to visit our store,The Old Patriot Militariaor “OPM” as many of our “Insiders” now call us. We recently purchased a very old collection of U.S. WWI Uniforms. We also have MANY WWI and WWII helmets as well as a number Historical Infantry and Army Air Forces Officer’s Uniforms. We will be listing many rare and museum quality pieces as fast as possible, so check our sale’s daily. Most items have never been offered to the general public! We have moved to a new facility which will allow us to list even more items, even faster! Be sure to sign up for OPM’s weekly email newsletter at our store or by following the link just above this description. Receiving our email newsletter will make you an “Old Patriot Insider” and keep you on the front lines of our new and upcoming listings. I will provide you Inside Information on new and upcoming listings on a weekly basis. If you are a serious collector, you will not want to miss out! Have your “Battle Plan” ready, you never know when we will list exactly what you are looking for!!!
WE REQUIRE PAYMENT FOR ALL ITEMS WITHINFIVE CALENDAR DAYS OF THE sale'SCLOSE. IF YOU MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO CONTACT US OR PAY WITHIN 5 DAYS, WE WILL REPORT YOU TO , RELIST THE ITEM AND BAN YOU FROM ALL FUTURE sales AND SALES. HAS RECENTLY INCREASED SELLER PROTECTION AND NOW SELLERS CAN REPORT NON-PAYING BUYERS DIRECTLY TO ON THE response PAGE. IF YOU CANNOT PAY WITHIN FIVE CALENDAR DAYS, PLEASE DO NOT offer!!!
GOOD NEWS!!! We now provide ONE DAY Handling on all packages and we no longer charge a “Handling Fee” to ANY of our customers ANYWHERE in the world!
On Oct-18-13 at 22:30:38 PDT, seller added the following information:
****SHIPPING COSTS FOR THIS COLLECTION ARE INCORRECT AT THE TOP OF THE LISTING. THEY ARE REGISTERING MUCH LOWER THAN THE ACTUAL COST OF SHIPPING. THIS PACKAGE WEIGHS OVER NINE POUNDS AND WILL HAVE TO SHIP VIA USPS PRIORITY MAIL TO INTERNATIONAL BUYERS. PLEASE DO NOT PAY FOR THIS COLLECTION UNTIL YOU RECEIVE AN INVOICE FROM US. YOU MAY CONTACT US AND PROVIDE US WITH YOUR ADDRESS SO THAT WE CAN GIVE YOU THE ACTUAL COST OF SHIPPING. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.****