You seemingly missed or ignored my point, so let me forward it again. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, probably not. It was prettey tangential to the discussion anyway.

Based on the way you accented some of the words through capitalization you give the impression that you think it wrong that web hosts that have implemented Apache (and by extension an operating system that is free) should not charge for it.

I can further infer from the sentence that you think the reason that these Apache based webhosts dominate is entirely due to charging for something that they didn't pay for.

And that being able to so so is not due to the technology?

HUH?

Isn't it the technology, or more to the point, the Open Source hence free origination of the technology) that makes it free for the "Apache host" to use, allowing them to pass the savings on to their customers?

If it isn't the technology, albeit the origination of the technology, that allows that.... what is?

I totally think you cannot separate the technology and the price/cost of the technology. I'm really really interested in your expanding on your arguement to separate the two.

I'll repost your sentence with some different words emphasized to show you what I'm objecting to.

The Apache Web hosts dominate not due to technology but due to FREE OS and then CHARGE to use it.

Let me be clear, I'm neither for nor against Open Source software. In general I find that most of it sucks and is not of the quality it would be had the author(s) needed to get a buck for it. But that's not my point.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]