Update: I purchased a domain through GoDaddy to try and do an install there. They confirmed they use PHP 5+ and are mysql_connect compatible. I had tech support there run a mySql diagnostic on the database I created for the forums. The test script was able to connect to the database using the database name, login, and pass. I then ran the install.php for UBBthreads. Step 1 passed. Step 2, I entered the correct connection information that had been verified by the test script. Step 3 gave me the message "Connecting To Server" and remained that way for nearly 40 minutes before I called it quits.

GoDaddy supports both mySql_connect and mySqli, other UBB forums run on their servers. The tech believes there is an error in the install script that prevents it from connecting to the database. He directed me to try to learn the steps needed to convert and allow mysql_connect to be used on machines using mysqli. Apparently, mysql is being deprecated. I have found several methods, but all involve the working scripts and not an install script.

So, I've tried installing at two vastly different hosting companies, one Unix and one Linux, and had the same result. I would appreciate someone looking into this now.