The end filesize depends on the image quality you allow (defaults are thumb 200, medium 480, full 1920) and the max dimension you allow (if an image doesn't meet the dimension it will not be resized; the defaults are thumb 80%, medium 70%, full 60%), the level of detail the image has, and the Image Library you're utilizing to process images.

ImageMagick will process images more efficiently, and will more aggressively compress images; the downside is that it doesn't come pre-bundled with PHP like GD (it has to be installed to the local filesystem). Your host likely has it installed, you just have to populate the paths in the UBB.threads "Paths" configuration. I believe there was previously an issue with IM processing image dimensions (the system was rewritten in v7.6.2, whereas the following link is a patch for v7.6.1.1), that discussion can be found here.

The "Max File Size for Displaying Attached Images Inline" setting in the Attachments Settings will allow you to limit the images being displayed to the browser based on how large the image is; I wouldn't have this setting much higher than about a meg as your mobile users will have some pretty large images to push through their data plan.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!