Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Has anyone ever moved a fully mature UBB with over 15000 messages from one platform to another? I need to do this since my ISP is unable to keep their NT box (Frontpage environment) running faithfully. (I think I have the only website in America that goes down every three weeks for an entire weekend and maybe the only ISP in America that could care less.) Does moving a site present special problems? What kinds of things should I do ahead of time? (I'm assuming I'll read the UNIX install instructions.)

Thanks in advance.

Doug Smith

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Download the new UBB manual and read the moving (transfer) instructions very carefully.

http://www.infopop.com/ubb_support/support_ubb_instructions.html

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by Hal:
[qb]Download the new UBB manual and read the moving (transfer) instructions very carefully.

http://www.infopop.com/ubb_support/support_ubb_instructions.html [/qb]
Hal I have and so far everything is going great. The ISP gave me a new spot on an Apache server. I installed a registered virgin version of 5.47e and everything works.

The next steps are (after doing a backup) is to delete the test BB, have my ISP copy over the 80MB of files in my cgi-bin and ubb dorectories while preserving the directory structures. I go in and set file and directory privs and then open General Settings as a first time install and change all of the parameters for path etc. Since I have it all figured out now it should go fairly easy.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
One more question. Where on this site can I find the "moving kit." I'm moving my UBB from one domain to another. This kit contains an ultimate.cgi file that will redirect users to the new site.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The move kit is included in the UBB6 zip file.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Does the Move Kit work with 5.47e?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you correcttly follow the instructions of the readme.txt file found in the movekit directory it should work fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have a dilemma....My ISP ZIPPED up my HUGE UBB into a file on its current NT server and FTP'd the ZIP file to the new LINUX server. He unzipped the file on the UNIX server. Directory structures were maintained but we have a file corruption problem. I found that .cgi files in cgi-bin were giving Server errors. A check of the server log by the ISP said the file couldn't be found. It was there, it just could not be executed. When I copied a new file using ASCII over to the new server the file executed.

When I try to begin making changes to general settings the UBB does not know I am an ADMIN. It cannot find my user record...any of my ADMIN records. I have one in OldMembers and one in Members.

I tried setting the Members diretory to Members and member. My ISP set the CHMOD to 777 in members and set all the members files to CHMOD 777. The cgi-bin permissions are set properly.

The ISP ran ubb_test.cgi using Test 4 and finds the path to member OK and directory writable. I run it and find that directory is not writeable. I can issue the CHMOD 777 command on the directory but the ubb_test.cgi message never changes.

FYI, I did set up a simple BB from scratch so I know the BB should work on this server

The BB was shut off on the NT before compressing and copying. When I press the button for the socket test I don't get the socket test. I get the BBS screen telling me the BB is offline.

I may have more than one problem. One is the file corruption and the second is directory permissions.

Ideas? Thanks very much.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What is the URL to your control panel? Ensure that when your ISP unzipped the file on the new server that they used the -a switch.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I don't know. I'll check. http://208.26.254.157/ubb/cp.html The domain will be popularwireless.com but it has not propogated via DNS yet.

I have no password access so I cannot change the General Settings. Will report back. Thank you.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Your absolute paths still appear to be set with the WinNT ones. Set them as the following:

UBBCGI: /var/www/www.gmrsweb.com/cgi-bin
UBB NONCGI: /var/www/www.gmrsweb.com/ubb
Members: /var/www/www.gmrsweb.com/cgi-bin/Members
Variables: /var/www/www.gmrsweb.com/cgi-bin

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Catch 22. That's exactly where I stopped the move. When I tried to submit the General Settings screen UBB could not find my ADMIN username and password. I would have to edit ultbb.setup manually which I don't want to do. sn't that a bad thing? Need to see if the ISP can fix things by using the -a switch in PKUNZIP first.

So yes, I understand the path info is wrong.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Are you sure you used the exact paths I posted above, as unlike on Windows, on UNIX, everything is case sensitive? If so, if you'd like, you can email me your FTP information and I will see if I can find the problem.

Oh and the -a switch would be needed when unzipping directly on the UNIX server, not when it was zipped on the Windows server.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Doug,

Do you have telnet access to your server?
If so, run this command:

whereis dos2unix

Copy and paste the results here. (If you have that program, you can convert the files by running:

dos2unix *

in the cgi directory and the Members directory. If necessary you can run dos2unix *.html in the nonCGI directory.)

It is easier to unzip again with the -a option if you can get it done.

Edited to remove references to UBB6.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I LOVE this product! Moving this BB sure was an aadventure, but with everyone's help I did it. When we zipped the BB up on NT and unzipped it on Unix we did not use the -a switch. Lots of weirdness and file corruption. My ISP went back and unzipped again using the -a switch and I was able to set all variables in General Settings after setting file and directory permissions. This ISP does not permit Telnet for secutity reasons. This means if you run into issues you have to call them. The guy I was assigned was TOP NOTCH.

Once the -a switch problem was figured out I also discovered a few files that came across with the case in the first letter changed. I had to capitalize the first letter on two files and that fixed that problem.

One forum directory complained that there were no .cgi files. EIther in the zip or unzip or in the subsequent unzip these files were still corrupt. I FTP'd the originals using ASCII and that fixed that problem.

Everything works now. I have LOTS of work to do on the site since I also have made some domain changes but that is peanuts compared to this. I sure learned a lot and I VERY happy I bought UBB.

Thanks for for the help everybody!Now I can offer suggestions to those facing the same issues later on.

Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29