Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This is UBB version 5.45c.

I have just switched to another server. While I haven't switched domain names or such yet (starting the process now) I set up everything with the static IP of the 'new' server'.

I did all the permissions stuff and it appears to work OK - but - when I go to rebuild threads some forums will rebuild OK but several have given me this error message:

"Hack attempt logged or corrupt member file found [15 total]" (but that's all the screen said). One of the forums that would not rebuild did list *16* total instead of 15.

All the forums in which the Rebuild Threads fails, it fails immediately - except 1. It goes through (using 30 at a time) two 'sequences' (appears to be rebuilding OK), but then it fails - same message as above.

I have re-checked permissions in each forum (well, it's been up since 1998 with several thousand posts at most - not a big board.

And as I say - with 33 of the 44 forums the Rebuild Threads will rebuild without the above problem. It's just those 10 that 'bomb out'.

If I go back to the board on the 'old' server which I have shut down for now - I can run the rebuild fine on all forums.

I'm sure every file I transferred was transferred as text. Permissions (all the way down to each forum directory and its contents - even the thread cgi's and html files in the HTML directory within each forum directory. I double checked against the forum directories on the 'old' server' (which are now essentially 'frozen' - they're turned off) and all match.

Everything else seems to work. I've rebuilt member files, re-set styles, moderators, etc. From the General Settings the "Check here to rebuild the forum thread files, recount topics and replies and reset the last post times" at the bottom appears to work fine.

I can open the forums and leave test messages (Start a new thread and reply to an existing thread and delete a topic) in one of the 'bad' forums (I've only tried this in 1 and then shut the board down again so we don't have any 'major' screwups).

Has anyone else seen "Hack attempt logged or corrupt member file found [15 total]" when rebuilding threads? Any ideas?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
By the way, if I try to rebuild one of the 'broken' forums, I he thte following entry in the 'Hacklog.cgi' file:

HACK ATTEMPT DATE: 08-26-2001 11:01 PM
HackDetails

:106
application/x-www-form-urlencoded
/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs
CGI/1.1
*/*
en
Keep-Alive
UserNameCP=zzzzzzzz;
PasswordCP=zzzzzzzzz;
lastLogin=2452148.144; LastLoginDT=08-26-2001%2002%3A40%20PM
Security/Remote-Passphrase
http://161.58.193.73/cgi-bin/cpanel.cgi?action=UpdateThreads
PPC
MacOS
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Mac_PowerPC)
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bsd:/usr/local/bin

/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/postings.cgi
/cgi-bin/postings.cgi
Shirley_Server-Admin@16949.com
HTTP/1.1

Apache/1.3.12 OpenSSL/0.9.5a (Unix) PHP/4.0.4pl1
shirley

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This issue is going to need to be looked at in detail. Please open a support ticket for further assistance. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well, I would but I don't know what that entails. I'm not a 'paid member' anymore and - to be honest - I'm 'fine' with my current 'old' version - I don't plan on upgrading. I was hoping that someone would recognize what would initiate the output the "Hack attempt logged or corrupt member file found [15 total]" message.

All the forums in which the threads will not rebuild correctly are from the first group of 16 forums I made way back in 1998. I think I went through every upgrade to the one I have OK - never had even 1 problem.

This would all make more sense if none of the boards would rebuild correctly, but for just a few. I've even redownloaded the files fro the 'old' server' and re-uploaded them to the 'new' server.

I've been thinking hard on the "...or corrupt member file found [15 total]..." part of the feedback.

But again, even weirder is that on the 'old' server I can rebuild the threads fine in every forum. On this new server - those few forums 'bomb' out.

Too weird for me. I've just had to shut the board down until I can figure it out. The DNS changeover should be by late tomorrow or Wednesday - I'll think until then - but I was also thinking that somewhere I missed something that needs that access to 16949.com or something.

Well, if ayone has any thoughts I sure would apprecite them. Or - if this 'service ticket' thing is free let me know. I'd be happy for someone to take a look. But I won't pay over US$40.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm not a perl programmer - but I do understand some of what's going on. I'm an old guy who first programmed in some college courses back in the early 1970's for those who remember punch crds, Fortral, Cobol and PL1.

Anyway, I searched all the UBB files and only identified that output in one file. It is the ubb_library.pl file just after lines 414 :
Code
}  #end GetUserNumber

sub OpenProfile {
$FormattedProfile = shift;
$FormattedProfile =~ s/ /_/g; #convert spaces

@foundprofile = OpenFile("$MembersPath/$FormattedProfile")
if ($#foundprofile > $maxmemfields) { # make sure no lf bumping is going on
	PostHackDetails
	die(StandardHTMLCP("Hack attempt logged or corrupt member file found with extra fields [$#foundprofile total]"))
So - can anyone explain what's happening? Is this telling me some of the old member profiles, possibly from the 'early days' (didn't one revision add more fields or something?) are screwy?

I guess my next move is to re-download the Members files and re-upload them to the 'new' server and see if I goofed somewhere there.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The cause is simple - there is at least one profile that has too many fields. This causes the UBB to get quite parinoid and assume someone has hacked the file (i.e. has inserted fields to throw off the processing).

The easiest way to find the file is to open the support ticket - the link is in the message above. As long as you have a valid license number, you should be able to open a ticket with no problems. (Members Area access is NOT required to open a ticket!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29