Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I think it's really cool that you include the option to allow multiple responses to questions (checkboxes). However, I don't agree with the way the results are displayed.

In the marketing research field (my career for the past 15 years), you do not display "accept-multiple" results the same way you display "accept-one" results.

"Accept multiple" should not display a percentage of the total answers. They should display a percentage of the total people who answered.

For example, if you were to ask this question:

What color widgets do you own?

...and these were the answer choices, with the number of responses for each in the parens to the right:

Black (2)
White (2)
Red (2)
Blue (2)

...and there were a total of 4 people who voted, the results display should look like this:

Black (50%)
White (50%)
Red (50%)
Blue (50%)

...instead of this, which is how they're calculated now:

Black (25%)
White (25%)
Red (25%)
Blue (25%)

You see, the idea is to measure what percentage of each color is owned by the sampled population.

There are cases where you would want to display them as UBB currently does (example 2), but example 1 shows how these types of questions are displayed the vast majority of the time.

Any comments on whether or not you'd consider changing this in a future version?

Thanks.

[This message was edited by Charles Capps on September 05, 2002 at 02:49 PM.]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
...or... Any comments from other users on whether or not they agree with me on the best way to display the results?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This is a bug - fixed in the next release. Moving this topic to the Bugs forum.

The polling app was originally designed to allow users not to answer questions. This changed in the development process, but the calculation code didn't change along with it.

--
Charles Capps
Programmer, Infopop Corporation
Please do not contact me privately for support - post on the board or open a support ticket instead!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,009 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29