Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1132 07/08/2006 11:07 PM
O
O Offline
not sure if this has been mentioned before, and not really a bug, but new users find it difficult to know how to start a new topic. it's not really obvious, and i'm concerned new users will give up quickly trying to figure it out.

Last edited by Rick; 07/11/2006 7:09 PM.

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
Okusi #1137 07/09/2006 1:43 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe that I heard that they're going to be adding a "post new topic" icon for people who lack the intelligence to select the "forum options" dropdown....

Last edited by Gizmo; 07/09/2006 1:43 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #1145 07/09/2006 6:42 AM
O
O Offline
are you casting nasturtiums at my intelligence?! wink

but yes, i'm glad there's going to be an option for a "post new topic" icon. new users especially give up quickly if they can't figure how to operate a site.

Gizmo #1154 07/09/2006 10:25 AM
I believe that I heard that they're going to be adding a "post new topic" icon for people who lack the intelligence to select the "forum options" dropdown....

One of the biggest gripes I get when we upgrade to a new version is that the changes are so massive and numerous that many of our members are confused. Remember they have been used to doing and seeing things one way for the past few years and then BAMM........they go to the boards one day and don't recognize much....This is especially relevant to our seniors and less computer savy members. SO I find it very useful to keep as many of the features of the old boards when we migrate to 7.0.

In other words, please make certain our members see a "Make New Post" button without looking all over the place.

Musky

How's all this "hopie-changie" working out for you???
Gizmo #1156 07/09/2006 10:43 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo

I think you are being a little rude to many users - who have not had the opportunity to learn their way around a forum.

But glad you have let us know that Rick is adding a button smile - after all it could always be hidden if you did not want it.

Ian #1170 07/09/2006 5:54 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I didn't mean to be rude, but the dropdown box is there, its the first box at the top; general human curiosity should make one click the box...

Take a button, make it red, write don't touch me on it... How many people won't touch the button...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #1174 07/09/2006 7:02 PM
I didn't mean to be rude, but the dropdown box is there, its the first box at the top; general human curiosity should make one click the box...

In all due respect Giz, remember that 99% of our members come to these boards for TWO reason....read and post....and since all of us are upgrading from an older version of threads, we would like for our members to see SOME things that are the same as they are used to.... We don't want to overkill them with an entriely new look and make them start all over again learning the basics......like posting. A "Make New Post" button is certainly not asking to much.

How's all this "hopie-changie" working out for you???
Musky #1179 07/09/2006 10:45 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, this all turned from me joking with KuKuKaChu to me evidently coming off as being rude, so I'm just going to provide one more point...

I completely understand your position, some users need that "extra kick" to learn something new, but keep in mind this isn't UBB.Classic anymore, and it's not really UBB.Threads anymore either as the majority of things have been rewrote.

In either case, as I stated before, I believe that Rick is adding the "post new thread" button back for users who seek legacy options and positioning.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07/09/2006 10:46 PM.

Gizmo #1180 07/10/2006 4:13 AM
O
O Offline
well, i took no offence whatsoever smile in fact, i thought it was funny.

text is an imperfect media, sometimes. easily misconstrued.

Okusi #1181 07/10/2006 4:34 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by KuKuKaChu
well, i took no offence whatsoever smile in fact, i thought it was funny.

:shrug: I love me some smart humor, I am glad someone got it and enjoyed it wink...

Gizmo #1185 07/10/2006 7:57 PM
O
O Offline
A POST NEW THREAD button is TOTALLY necessary. It took me a while to find how to post a new thread. I'm quite intelligent and use PCs all the time. But it is not obvious and as other people have said some people (lots of people) will give up after not seen an obvious POST NEW THREAD or POST REPLY button.

ostrich #1186 07/10/2006 8:47 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The drop down does take some getting used to if you come from classic

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
#1187 07/10/2006 9:25 PM
O
O Offline
the drop down is great. when you know about it. the problem is, of course, that our forum newbies are generally not made of the same stuff as we are. most of us here are -- or were -- techies of one description or another, and have the knowledge and experience to know that if we keep clicking things, sooner or later something will happen. newbies and non-techies aren't so brave, or patient. the object of forums is to read and post, and these basic functions have to be as obvious as possible. or at the very least, a "trainer-wheels" mode has to be possible until the new member becomes familiar with the operating environment.

#1188 07/10/2006 9:38 PM
As soon as we can get our hot hands on UBB.threads 7, I intend to take tons of screen shots and put together a tutorial of sorts for my community.

I know I'll need to do this because while Threads is similar to Classic in some respects, in others, it's entirely different.

That'd be my advice for any of you concerned about your community having problems with the new board.

~Sue
adwoff.com

ADWOFF #1189 07/10/2006 9:59 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
To put all concerns to reset, there will be a new topic image on the right side of the "Forum Options" dropdown. I'll probably check the latest fixes and changes in tommorow that will have this. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29