Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#135185 02/25/1999 10:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It would be VERY nice if the (English) messages that get printed from the various scripts could be moved to a separate file in the form of strings, so as to allow language customization while guaranteeing easy upgradability.

#135186 03/02/1999 8:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I agree!

"Calle"

#135187 03/03/1999 11:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Yes, multilanguage support is a real need for us. We have a need for users to have a language preference, and for all of the WWWT3 system messages (Like "In response to" and "Make a reply" and "Clear Form"...) to be presented to them in the language of their choice. This means that you can have a discussion which is used by, say, both english and french speakers, but an englisg speaker would see all the system messages in english and the french user these messages, independent of the language of the actual posting.

#135188 03/08/1999 5:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
WWWThreads is written so beautifully that it's actually an easy task to customize it and translate all of the HTML it generates into another language. But the moment you edit the perl code, you lose forward compatability with upgrades: do you see me doing the same work over and over again to keep in sync with released versions??

I dunno whether Rick is willing to turn WWWThreads into a (partially) collaborative projects. It certainly would load him of the task of managing the various contributors, but I don't think everything should be on his back. We can give a hand way more important than suggestions and whishes.

Thoughts?

Matteo

#135189 03/08/1999 11:46 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Keeping multilanguage support throughout upgrades would be very tough. I'd like to be able to help on this one, but my time is pretty much limited as it is and this would limit it even further. I would love to have other language versions available, but just as it is time consuming to make upgrades to the main program, I realize how time consuming it is to do the language translation.

Eventually I think the program will get to a point to where it will be basically done, otherwise the more I add to it, it will end up just being bloated. I think by version 4 or 5, every major thing should be in place. If the translations are done on one of those versions, I would probably only be doing small updates, so I could modify the various language versions as well.

---
'If it's worth doing, It's worth doing loudly'
Scream

#135190 03/11/1999 10:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Of course, I agree.
And I need some more functions. I think search function should be improved to support other languages.

#135191 03/12/1999 7:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
For this purposes are ht://Dig the best customizable multilanguages freeware search engine. WWWThreads must stay as is.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (ahmed047, Nightcrawler), 615 guests, and 132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29