I dunno about the rest of youse, but I got real fed up with email spam coming in on the address for the "contact us" for my forum.

I ran across a pretty good way to deal with that, this morning.

Enter the email address in unicode !

Here is a page that will turn your email address into unicode for you.

http://fantomaster.com/fantomasSuite/mailShield/famshieldsv-e.cgi

Go to the page, and enter the email address that you want changed into unicode. Once you have subitted it, and it has been changed into unicode, copy the unicode.

Now go to your admin control panel.

Choose "primary settings".

In the box to the right, at the bottom, you will see the email address that you have entered for your forum's "contact us" address.

Empty that box, then paste in the unicode that you copied from the other page. Then scroll down, and submit the change.

When the page comes back, you will still see the email address just as it was before.

However.... In reality, in the page source on your forum... what appears after "Mailto:" is the unicode. The browser interprets the unicode, and you see the actual address there. But spam spiderbots crawling around, only get the unicode.

If you unicode the "mailto:" portion as well, the spambots will get nothing at all. But if you leave the mailto portion alone, they will gather the unicode. And then when they try to use it, it will get spit out as undeliverable.

I prefer to leave the mailto portion alone. I chuckle at the thought of wasting a bit of THEIR time for once...

smile