Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
journeyman
journeyman
W Offline
Forgive me if this info is already posted...I looked and could not find it.

What imports from Classic into Threads? Everything? (does username stay the same, passwords, private messages, custom avators, etc...) or maybe it is easier to list what does not import?

Also, I read in one of the posts that there are some power users that are willing to do the import for a fee? Would it be ok to hire one of them (any volunteers) or should I just hire Groupee? I guess they charge $150 to do an import but I'm not sure. I already have the new Threads software installed, but I can't see that they offer just an import service...it looks like it is just a conversion service.

Sorry for the long and rambling post...thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Winter

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Most everything is imported (the only thing that i can think of offhand that isn't imported is the admin notes).

A lot of us devers do imports for about the price that groupee charges, theres myself, AllenAyres, Ian Spence, etc).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
W
journeyman
journeyman
W Offline
Thanks for the info Gizmo.

My forum is for people on the Autism spectrum, so change is extremely difficult for them to deal with. What I would like to do is import my current c board into the new threads boards and allow my users to play with it and beta test it for a few weeks. With the idea that it would just be a test area where all new posts would disappear. That would give my users a chance to get used to the new look and feel before forcing it on them. Also an opportunity for them to ask questions and make suggestions.

During that time I would also like to finish playing with different style settings. Then I would like to drop all the tables (?) and do a final import of the classic board and shut it down at that point and move everyone to the new threads board.

Does that sound reasonable based on what some of you have already done?

Is anyone interested in helping me with that process? So it would basically be two imports and help dropping the tables and not losing my style sheet changes. Or is it so simple a process I should just do it myself...?
Winter

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
WE've all pretty much done the same thing, in fact during testing of the importers that's about what we did...

Basically when you're ready to go live you'd backup your styles, drop all of your tables, then run the createtables.php file in the install directory, then run the importer again. At completion you'd want to re-install yout styles that you backed up (as the style settings are stored in the database, you have to back them up before purging files, else you'll purge any styles you made).

It should be simple enough, the charges would vary based on who you'd use; but as you can tell I'm always around in one form or another ;), just shoot me a pm.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11/05/2006 7:13 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 919 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29