Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#168013 11/10/2006 12:08 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have tried in vein to get this to work. You know the upload attachments function while creating a message? Those files get loaded into a folder that we obviously have to create. Simple concept. In the control panel where we are to type in the URL for this folder there is a link to test this folder/function. Mine fails every time!

I have checked that I am writing the correct URL and that the file permissions allow read/write access. Is there any trick to this? A particular way to enter the URL like leave off the HTTP or the www? I am at a loss on this one!

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Have you chmodded the directory you created 777 after creating it?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes I did. I even reset my CHMOD settings just to be sure. Still, all I get is "Directory does not exist!"

Webmaster by night! cool
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What is the exact path you are entering? It should be a full path (instead of a relative path).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is what I have been screwin around with. There are TWO text areas asking for a URL. Are they both the same? It could be my server - I had problems setting up PhotoPost because for some reason my server was not accepting changes I made to paths and URLs that I entered. I persisted in entering them and they finally took but I have never had a problem with any UBB product though. I just want to be sure I am entering the right information in the right places before I go bothering my Web Hosting tech support. So...

Do I enter:
  • "http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"
  • "www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"
  • "mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"

Thank you for your help guys, your support makes this product a better value overall. smile

ON EDIT: I never went farther than testing the settings. I just created a post with an attachment and it works. I even went in with my FTP program and looked, my file was there. So the test script must be malfunctioning.

Last edited by FordDoctor; 11/10/2006 10:36 AM.

Webmaster by night! cool
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
n/m, i think you answered it yourself.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The URL section wants:
http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments

The PATH section wants (something similar to):
/forums/fileattachments (or whatever your full filesystem path to the fileattachments directory is)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
also, if it wont' let you enter in paths, you can edit the configuration file through FTP: includes/config.inc.php

Although it looks like you fixed it yourself, I've posted the above information incase someone else has the same issues in the future smile.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, I am not sure I actually FIXED anything but it is working. I entered the URL information the way Gizmo stated. I discovered that I had not actually created a post and attached a file to it and when I did I discovered that it worked.

What does not work is the test script in the control panel. That did not work from the first day I installed UBBT-7 and after installing 7.0.1 it still does not work. I don't know if it is something on my server, corrupt file or if this is another bug? Maybe you guys should check your installations? Just a suggestion. Even if it's me I am not bothered by it... as long as the attachments make it into the threads and load when a user clicks on it I am okay!

Webmaster by night! cool
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
In my install the test script works as long as the attachment directory is chmodded 777 (well and as long as I have the URL and Path entered in correctly) so I'm not entirely sure why its bugging out on your install; but as long as the attachments are working wink...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Look in that directory for test.file or something like that. I don't know what Rick names that file nowadays. If, at some point, your test create the file but couldn't delete it a subsequent test may fail be cause..... it can't create the file (already exists.)

Go through that directory and make sure there is no test file in there. Again, I don't know what Rick names that file nowadays but he's usually very obvious in his naming conventions.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29