Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JAISP), 46 guests, and 231 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gizmo 18
isaac 14
TheBrit 10
SteveS 8
Zarzal 6
Morgan 5
Ruben 4
jorb 4
Latest Photos
Test
Testing to drag photos
Comfortable Cats
Test
BSA photos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
User Attachments Folder #168013
11/09/06 11:08 PM
11/09/06 11:08 PM
FordDoctor  Offline OP
enthusiast
New Joisey!
I have tried in vein to get this to work. You know the upload attachments function while creating a message? Those files get loaded into a folder that we obviously have to create. Simple concept. In the control panel where we are to type in the URL for this folder there is a link to test this folder/function. Mine fails every time!

I have checked that I am writing the correct URL and that the file permissions allow read/write access. Is there any trick to this? A particular way to enter the URL like leave off the HTTP or the www? I am at a loss on this one!

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
Express Hosting
Express Hosting "We are the official hosting company of UBB.threads. Ask us about our free migration services to migrate your UBB.threads installation."
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: FordDoctor] #168015
11/10/06 12:33 AM
11/10/06 12:33 AM
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
Have you chmodded the directory you created 777 after creating it?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Need to Upgrade?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: Gizmo] #168025
11/10/06 07:31 AM
11/10/06 07:31 AM
FordDoctor  Offline OP
enthusiast
New Joisey!
Yes I did. I even reset my CHMOD settings just to be sure. Still, all I get is "Directory does not exist!"

Webmaster by night! cool
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: FordDoctor] #168032
11/10/06 08:45 AM
11/10/06 08:45 AM
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
What is the exact path you are entering? It should be a full path (instead of a relative path).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Need to Upgrade?
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: Gizmo] #168033
11/10/06 09:13 AM
11/10/06 09:13 AM
FordDoctor  Offline OP
enthusiast
New Joisey!
This is what I have been screwin around with. There are TWO text areas asking for a URL. Are they both the same? It could be my server - I had problems setting up PhotoPost because for some reason my server was not accepting changes I made to paths and URLs that I entered. I persisted in entering them and they finally took but I have never had a problem with any UBB product though. I just want to be sure I am entering the right information in the right places before I go bothering my Web Hosting tech support. So...

Do I enter:
  • "http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"
  • "www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"
  • "mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments"

Thank you for your help guys, your support makes this product a better value overall. smile

ON EDIT: I never went farther than testing the settings. I just created a post with an attachment and it works. I even went in with my FTP program and looked, my file was there. So the test script must be malfunctioning.

Last edited by FordDoctor; 11/10/06 09:36 AM.

Webmaster by night! cool
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: FordDoctor] #168046
11/10/06 02:00 PM
11/10/06 02:00 PM
David Dreezer  Offline

Pooh-Bah
n/m, i think you answered it yourself.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image]
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: David Dreezer] #168057
11/10/06 07:08 PM
11/10/06 07:08 PM
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
The URL section wants:
http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/fileattachments

The PATH section wants (something similar to):
/forums/fileattachments (or whatever your full filesystem path to the fileattachments directory is)

Need to Upgrade?
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: Gizmo] #168058
11/10/06 07:11 PM
11/10/06 07:11 PM
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
also, if it wont' let you enter in paths, you can edit the configuration file through FTP: includes/config.inc.php

Although it looks like you fixed it yourself, I've posted the above information incase someone else has the same issues in the future smile.

Need to Upgrade?
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: Gizmo] #168081
11/11/06 11:04 AM
11/11/06 11:04 AM
FordDoctor  Offline OP
enthusiast
New Joisey!
Well, I am not sure I actually FIXED anything but it is working. I entered the URL information the way Gizmo stated. I discovered that I had not actually created a post and attached a file to it and when I did I discovered that it worked.

What does not work is the test script in the control panel. That did not work from the first day I installed UBBT-7 and after installing 7.0.1 it still does not work. I don't know if it is something on my server, corrupt file or if this is another bug? Maybe you guys should check your installations? Just a suggestion. Even if it's me I am not bothered by it... as long as the attachments make it into the threads and load when a user clicks on it I am okay!

Webmaster by night! cool
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: FordDoctor] #168115
11/11/06 08:01 PM
11/11/06 08:01 PM
Gizmo  Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Portland, OR; USA
In my install the test script works as long as the attachment directory is chmodded 777 (well and as long as I have the URL and Path entered in correctly) so I'm not entirely sure why its bugging out on your install; but as long as the attachments are working wink...

Need to Upgrade?
Re: User Attachments Folder [Re: Gizmo] #168241
11/13/06 05:10 PM
11/13/06 05:10 PM
David Dreezer  Offline

Pooh-Bah
Look in that directory for test.file or something like that. I don't know what Rick names that file nowadays. If, at some point, your test create the file but couldn't delete it a subsequent test may fail be cause..... it can't create the file (already exists.)

Go through that directory and make sure there is no test file in there. Again, I don't know what Rick names that file nowadays but he's usually very obvious in his naming conventions.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image]

Shout Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
update multilanguage site problem
by Zarzal. 12/15/18 04:20 PM
Char coding utf-8 and older forums
by Zarzal. 12/15/18 03:59 PM
table issue
by TheBrit. 12/13/18 06:05 PM
testing table layout