Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#169447 12/01/2006 11:55 AM
this is the second user with this 'firewall' problem i have had since i changed to version 7 two days ago. any clues whats up?

Hi Marty,
All of the sudden this evening I started to get this error message (below) when attempting to post or PM someone. No firewall changes on my end.
Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer.

DB

-Quote-
"We cannot proceed.
The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."
-Unquote-

more on above situation

Hi Marty,
FYI, reset firewall to no protection and still had the problem.
Also, when I pull up a reply box or a PM form, the status message in the bottom of window always says "error on page" or "done with errors" for whatever it's worth...... then nothing happens when I try to send or I get the errore message as mentoined above...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

See if these previous threads help:

"valid host" / firewall error?

User with firewall issue

Make sure they check Norton Security or anything else they have running...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, ask them to copy the url they're using when trying to post, it's possible that they're using a "non-www" version of your URL and it's not setup to accept posts from the control panel.

Re-Iterration, these are differant URLs and both need to be in the "accepted hosts" for your site.:
http://ubbcentral.com/
https://www.ubbcentral.com/

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Disabling HTTP Referer Check fixed it. should i test it with the 'www' added into the accepted hosts?

what is the downside to turning off http referrer check?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Turning off the http referrer check won't guarantee that forms submitted came from your site(s) only.

In Control Panel » Primary Settings » Advanced Options » Domains for HTTP Referrer Check: Add both domains as shown in the example and try enabling the referrer check again and see if that does it...

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
ok thanks appreciate the help

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Turning off the http referrer check won't guarantee that forms submitted came from your site(s) only.

"Spam" is the "danger", it is not recommeded to ever disable the httpd referrer check.

And yes, you should try it with both the www and non-www in there, i have multiple as:
Code
http://www.undergroundnews.com|http://www.undergroundnews.net|http://www.undergroundnews.org

I don't allow users to access my site without a "www" on the domain, you could update it as:
Code
http://www.undergroundnews.com|http://undergroundnews.com

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I have 1 member that reported back to me that he can not
see uploaded images ?

Do i need to include the sub domain that the images
are uploaded it in the reffer check ?

www.mydomain.com|www.images.mydomain.com

Its a strange problem, as he say's it only our site that
he has issues with viewing images on the sub domian. (Uploads)
Any images on the main domain show fine ?
It has been going on since 7.0 and i enabled the upload
and switched the directory too the subdomain.

Any idea's - about the reffer check what should i put in there?
I do have the main domain listed currently.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The referrer check is only for sites authorised to POST content on your forums; do you have any type of hotlink protction setup for your site?

So i dont have to add the subdomain in the referrer.

No i dont have any Hotlink protection.

Its weired, i'm blaming his firewall settings,

Ive asked him for all the info he can give me before
we start chasing a wild goose chase,

For now : Should i add my subdomin to the reffer check ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
I have several users in this situation. They've disabled their firewall and looked for anything that would prevent the referrer. Some are computer illiterate.. so it's an uphill (and very frustrating) battle. And yes, I have both www and non-www in the allowed domains input. My community is starting to mutiny over all the issues. frown They want UBB.c back.

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

You could turn off the referrer check and see if that clears up the problems. Rick said Threads was probably the only forum software to use it, so while a nice feature, it's not critical...

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I have an external Login Problems page,
which links them to Nortons Web Site

Adding Trusted Sites - Click Me

Its more to do with Parental Control if enabled.

Hope that helps...

--------------

Anyone - should i add my subdomain to the reffer ?
See posts above. smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If the referer check is causing major issues, go ahead and turn it off. The check itself isn't foolproof as it relies on the referer variable. It basically is a bit of an attemp to help with spammers, but most good spammers can spoof the referer variable anyways.

I guess I'm confused at what the referrer check is trying to attempt. Don't the scripts check to see if the 'entity' trying to post is logged in with a valid user ID and password? Isn't that enough to quell spammers?

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Basically the referer check tries to make sure addpost is being called from the newpost/newreply script on your server. A true spammer wouldn't actually fill out the newpost/newreply forms. They'd look and see what fields are necessary to pass to the addpost script and write their own spam script that would just pass those variables totally bypassing the forms.

Normally, when a user is browsing your forum, each request they make comes with a referer variable that shows where they are coming from. A common script kiddie might try and write a spam script but not know how to spoof the referer variable, so that would spoil their attempt. Someone that has a bit more knowledge would know how to do it properly, so it wouldn't stop them. That's why I say it's not foolproof. It prevents the boneheads from spamming, but not the smart ones wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
And you are correct in that if all your forums require people to be logged in to post, then the referer check holds even less value as they need to actually be online to post and can't really do a remote script.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mark S
For now : Should i add my subdomin to the reffer check ?

The referrer check is only for domains which are allowed to make posts to your forum; unless you have another forum setup at that subdomain and want it to be able to post to your main ubb.threads install, you don't need it added to the referrer check.

Originally Posted by Z65Paul
I have several users in this situation. They've disabled their firewall and looked for anything that would prevent the referrer. Some are computer illiterate.. so it's an uphill (and very frustrating) battle. And yes, I have both www and non-www in the allowed domains input. My community is starting to mutiny over all the issues. frown They want UBB.c back.

Theres several things that can be at issue, not just a firewall; some people have "Internet Security Suites", Virus Scanners, and (usually) firewall's that can block items; keep in mind too that some people have no clue what they're doing and have their kids do everything for them, so that may also be an issue (whos to say their kid installed something and they have no clue its even there).

Originally Posted by jgeoff
You could turn off the referrer check and see if that clears up the problems. Rick said Threads was probably the only forum software to use it, so while a nice feature, it's not critical...
While turning this off to test is a great idea, imo keeping it off is a spam risk (which it was added to halt the spam issues that a lot of people, including me in UBB.C, where having).

Rick has pretty much explained everything though wink...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 963 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29