#170655 12/20/2006 5:37 AM
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Hi,

Okay - this has me stumped frown

I have both Imagemagik 6 and GD2. However using GD2 I get nothing, with ImageMagik 6 I get the background, but no characters.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol I think you meant to post at the other site wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh, and yes, i do have it working over at my dev site using GD2 however I know I have ImageMagick installed but don't have the option to use it lol

Last edited by Gizmo; 12/20/2006 6:05 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Lol I think you meant to post at the other site wink...

oops - I get so confused wink

old hand
old hand
Is "CAPTCHA" one of those registration authentication things where you have to type in characters from an image to register? Until recently I had never heard the term.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I need to put in a test mode for both GD and ImageMagick so it will be easier to debug.

Going on each one. GD2 will require freetype support to be compiled in as well. It should only give this option if that's the case, however. Since you get that option you must have it.

Do you have the full captcha directory uploaded? You should have a backgrounds and a fonts directory within.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Basil
Is "CAPTCHA" one of those registration authentication things where you have to type in characters from an image to register? Until recently I had never heard the term.

Yep, that's what it is.

old hand
old hand
THanks! Hey, you got your avatar back! LOL

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Oh, and yes, i do have it working over at my dev site using GD2 however I know I have ImageMagick installed but don't have the option to use it lol

Gizmo, did you fill in the path to convert in the CP?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
THanks! Hey, you got your avatar back! LOL

Yep, finally moved to a new server. Oh, and if you want to test the CAPTCHA feature. Go ahead and visit my forum. I have it enabled using GD2 on the registration screen. I also have it enabled for guest posting/replies on all forums using ImageMagick.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick

Gizmo, did you fill in the path to convert in the CP?
'eh its my private dev server, I haven't even bothered to poke around for new options lol... I'll check.

Sounds much better as "Visual Verification"

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh yeh that was it, a simple update and ImageMagick is running; it works quite well on the registration screen smile.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I've not investigated but this software mentioned is probably for Linux, regardless. I would think that many whether on Linux or Windows hosting will not have the option to install any new sotware to make this work.

Certainly there must be some other method to achieve something similar. It's not being used as encryption/security rather just to thwart robots from completing the form.

What about hundreds of tiny images that can semi-randomly be put together to form something, or something similar that does not require more 3rd party software?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Both GD and ImageMagick I believe can be installed in a windows enviroment; GD I believe is intallable as a PHP module (which if you don't have php, you can't run UBB7). Most servers come with ImageMagick and GD pre-compiled.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You can get ImageMagick for both Linux and Windows as a free download. ImageMagick is nice because it doesn't require root access to install.

Most webhosts have ImageMagick or GD2 installed as they are both pretty commonly used. Any gallery type software requires one of them to be installed. Just about all of the CAPTCHA systems out there use one or the other. Nowadays it's more common to find a host that doesn't have one of them installed than it is to find one that doesn't.

The problem with a bunch of images put together is they all have an actual filename. Someone that wants to automate their bot just has to take the time to see what filename corresponds to what image and they could crack it just by looking at the img src.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So basically though if they don't and the host provider won't allow it then the user is SOL. Which means you now have to place upfront verbage on the product that it REQUIRES such and such as well. I can tell you that my own server does not have it on Linux. Can I get it, maybe, maybe not.

Just seems there must be another way to do this.

Even installing "modules" beyond the basics some hosts won't do because it potentially affects ALL sites, not just yours.

I'm not trying to fight you guys on this, hopefully I'm making a suggestion to further the product with as little impact on users as possible.

Last edited by ntdoc; 12/20/2006 6:14 PM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Eventually, more than likely with 7.2, we'll start to have basic photo gallery type features. So GD2 or ImageMagick will be required for those features to work. So even if it was possible to find another way to use CAPTCHA, we'll still be adding ImageMagick/GD2 as a requirement for all of the features to work.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't believe "root" ahs to install imagemagick, i believe a user can just upload the binaries to the server and link to the path via the ubb cp.

As for the gallery, my Melto Gallery uses the jhead binary for some image manipulation, but it also supports both GD and Imagemagick

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay no problem. But GD2 seems to have had a last update on 11/03/04

and also says: Windows DLL .zip (NOT CURRENTLY FOR PHP)

I'm not up to speed on this software though and hopefully upcoming UBB releases will run properly on Windows hosts as well.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'll have to brush up a bit more on GD for windows. I went the ImageMagick route on my windows test box and just installed the windows binary.

http://www.imagemagick.com/www/binary-releases.html#windows

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Both GD and ImageMagick I believe can be installed in a windows enviroment; GD I believe is intallable as a PHP module (which if you don't have php, you can't run UBB7). Most servers come with ImageMagick and GD pre-compiled.

I have GD2 installed as a module with PHP.. it's the only way it is delivered now according what I have read.

Happy Customer !!!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
OK - found the problem.

In the instructions (which I always follow wink ) it advises to uplaod all folders as ASCII except images which is binary.

Of course there are imnages within the CAPTCHA folder so these were uploaded incorrectly in ASCII - uploading them under the auto option works fine.

Are there any other images hidden away?

Maybe it would be better to keep all the captcha images within the images folder.

Thanks.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ahh, the docs for the beta haven't been uploaded yet. Those will be put up when the beta is up for general users. You private beta testers get to wing it so I can see what type of problems you'll find laugh There are also images in the admin directory under the image_files directory.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
You private beta testers get to wing it so I can see what type of problems you'll find laugh
we like it like that wink...

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
adds to the fun wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 541 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29