Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
Finally , I successfully upgrade from 6.5.4 to 7.0.2 (Except some Chinese character encoding problems... I'll inspect these problems later)

It takes me a whole day to transfer about 800000 posts and 55000 users ...

My old 6.5.4 is in /ubbthreads directory , with old data (files / avatars / styles ...)
The UBBT 7.0.2 is installed in /ubbthreads7 directory

I don't want my site contains new ubbthreads7 and old ubbthreads directory. I want to combine the two directories.

I noticed UBB7 seems very clean , only have two php files in the root directory (index.php , ubbthreads.php) , can I use 'cp -r ubbthreads7 ubbthreads' to overwrite the whole old UBB6 (and remove all unnecessary php files) ? Of course , I'll modify all path-related parameters (from ubbthreads7 -> ubbthreads) , and then replace UBB6's , postlist.php , showflat.php , showthreaded.php with importer's ...

Will this work ? Anything missing ?

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I attempted to do similar but was not successful. If you do get it working that would be nice. I too don't like the upgrade path/method used. I would much rather have it do an in-place update.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The safest way to do this and the way I normally do it when doing upgrades is this.

Install version 7 into it's own directory. Run the import and verify that everything is working as intended.

Backup or rename the original directory that had the old ubb.threads/classic files and then move the entire version 7 installation into the original directory.

Manually edit the config file to and change any paths necessary.

It's a bit of work, but that way your original is untouched while doing the install/upgrade. And you have all of the original files if needed for some reason.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ntdoc
I attempted to do similar but was not successful.
Why you didn't success ? any problems/errors ? Can you tell me ? Thank you very much.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Errors because I was/am too new to the software and didn't realize all the hooks and places needing change. I've since learned a lot more about it, but still not even close to expert with it.

I may try again some time with method suggested by Rick.

@Rick
If you moved it as you say and then set all paths. You would not need the import redirector scripts would you?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You'd still need the redirect scripts as the old files no longer exist. The old method just had scripts such as showflat.php, showthreaded.php and postlist.php, where now everything is passed through the ubbthreads.php script.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, be sure you don't just copy the new files over the old files; you'll just have one big mess...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Also, be sure you don't just copy the new files over the old files; you'll just have one big mess...

LOL - I tried that too once, it was a mess sick

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you , I've successfully replaced my old ubbthreads/ (ver. 654) with new version. It seems no problem now....

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gizmo), 857 guests, and 156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29