Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#171972 12/31/2006 11:13 PM
C
C Offline
Have a header image which is different for each style?

Currently one of the admins has this set in the html includes area but this seems to work in such a way that it uses this image for all templates instead of just one specific template.

All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through
chep #171974 12/31/2006 11:17 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
At this point, there is only one template, however there are differant styles allowed. There isn't a way to have it change without some creative thinking...

You could setup a custom header and make a new css class (.header for example) and then define a background image, to be displayed once, then set a height/width to a table cell in a custom header.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #171975 12/31/2006 11:37 PM
C
C Offline
I understand how to make classes and apply images to the background and sizing and all that.

What files do I have to edit? I am new to UBB.

All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through
chep #171976 12/31/2006 11:50 PM
C
C Offline
Ahh nevermind I found it. Perfect advice btw

chep #171977 01/01/2007 2:01 AM
C
C Offline
Well what I tried didnt work for me.

Can someone point me to the documents on how to create styles?

The world would be better if this stuff was just a regular css file instead....

chep #171978 01/01/2007 2:14 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There isn't any documentation on creating styles; basically the styles system uses CSS, if you don't know how to use css, you should visit http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #171979 01/01/2007 2:31 AM
C
C Offline
It doesn't use css.

It appears to use some txt file with a multi-dimensional array in what appears to be php.

If I append to the existing txt file in the style_vars array like so below. The image_header class doesn't show up anywhere when I look inside the style section (click on edit and open all sub menus) after uploading it.

I don't believe I would be the first person to ask such a question.

'image_header' => 'background-image:url("http://www.foo.com/threads/images/forumimages/foo.gif");
background-repeat:no-repeat;
height: 360px;
width: 130px;',

chep #171980 01/01/2007 2:57 AM
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Take a look at Nettomo's Black Magic theme in the styles forum. In the extra properties of the styles editor, it has custom header and footer images specified. I think this might be what you are looking for.

Harold #171988 01/01/2007 4:26 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You must use the style editor to edit styles, the files in the styles directory are only temporary files and will be overwritten by any changes to the style in the styles system.

The info in the styles system works off of an in house coded system, every valid forum class is broken down to its own section, wiht a misc section for new properties.

Harold #171995 01/01/2007 5:46 AM
C
C Offline
Ok I got it. I had to go down and watch the fireworks on the space needle first.

I suppose the ubb scripts only allow their own variable called extra_css and ignore anything else. Understandable.

The extra css can also be filled in like the other gentleman says inside of the editor with plan css syntax under "EXTRA PROPERTIES". It would be sweet to clarify a document on that part. Otherwise nobody knows what Extra Properties is for and that feature gets lost in the dustbins.

Thanks for the assistance.

To clarify for anyone else that may come across this eons later. I was able to append on the style.txt file and uploaded it again like so.

'extra_css' =>
'image_header
{
background-image:url(\'http://www.site.com/threads/images/forumimages/site.gif\');
width: 360px;
height: 130px;
}',

chep #172002 01/01/2007 6:51 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
if using the css editor in the control panel, you should only ahve to put it in as:
.image_header
{
background-image:url('http://www.site.com/threads/images/forumimages/site.gif');
width: 360px;
height: 130px;
}

I've never had to add any extra markup to it...

Gizmo #172005 01/01/2007 6:54 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
but i guess id wha you have works, i'll just sit and scratch my head lol

Gizmo #172008 01/01/2007 7:18 AM
C
C Offline
Yes both ways work. I mentioned that ;-) and included why I thought it could use some document or a tip somewhere so that the feature isn't lost.

Just because you might be familiar with the feature you think it is obvious. However to someone staring at this thing for the first time it doesn't give me the indication what it was for or that it was worth even clicking on. I did explicitly ask where you make the edits and got some vague answers :-)

chep #172021 01/01/2007 9:23 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
True... some documentation may be needed...

Or I'll just do what harold did and tell people to install one of the stylesheets that covers most everything (like my winter one) and have them learn by point and click... Then they can learn by example, like i do best...

Gizmo #172063 01/01/2007 9:37 PM
C
C Offline
Thanks I have my theme and header created.

How can I confirm it works on the latest board software? My buddy is in Europe and coming on the plane right now so we don't have it installed.

What is no wrapper and wrapper for anyway?

Preview

http://www.chep-net.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/grayish.jpg

chep #172067 01/01/2007 9:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, you can create cell wrappers to go around your tables; most themes just use the genaric wrapper which ships with the default ubb, so the option is to either export with the custom wrapper (if you used one) or export without wrapper (which will use the stock wrapper).

And so long as it works for 7.0 it should work with 7.1 (only slight additions have been maded to 7.1, such as the new posts indicators (in red here ont he main page))

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 834 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29