Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#172107 01/02/2007 11:11 AM
old hand
old hand
I currently have my old 6.5 threads still up but re-directing with the cripts that came in the importer. My question is, how long should I keep the old forum up with the redirects? Whan will I know that its ok to go ahead and pull the old forum?

Basil

I would leave the redirect scripts there forever. People have bookmarks and static links from web sites, news groups, other forums, etc.

old hand
old hand
Is there a code that will redirect everything there???? (to the new site)

Thanks

Stan

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, another reason why the upgrade should happen in the same directory and update what is currently there. I realize this was a big change and undertaking for 7.0 but I still think it should upgrade in place.

I don't have the link but I'm sure Rick might or can give you the correct directions to take to set it up so that your old and new are now back in the same old location.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Even if you install into the same directory, you'd still need to keep the redirects in place. The main reason for this is the old versions called things directly, like showflat.php, showthreaded.php, etc. In version 7 everything goes through ubbthreads.php. So, if the redirects are removed and someone has an old bookmark to showthreaded.php they'd just end up with a 404 not found.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes I understand that Rick, but you explained how to basically put your new form into the old forum location and at least in that way you could get rid of a bunch of old files.

Do you recall the link or could you create a sticky since more then a few people have asked about this same thing.

Aside from the redirects is there any other files that need to be maintained from the old installation or can all of the old files/folders be removed?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The problem with reusing the same directory is that it becomes infinitely more confusing (and dangerous) deleting unnecessary files that are side-by-side with the new files.

I believe the "solution" to go about this anyway would be to install/import to a new directory until everything's working, then renaming the old directory, then changing the name of the new directory to the old directory, then changing the path info in CP.

I would not recommend that route though, IMHO. I plan on keeping my .Classic install up (read-only) for a while, as I monitor how the redirects are doing. It's not critical to remove the old right away - I think it's actually a good idea to keep it for a while. (And at the very least, I still have Classic running to help answer any Classic questions that may arise... wink )

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes that is maybe good for someone that wants to do Moderator type help here on the board for others, but for many that are on hosted sites with limited space and no desire to help out here it's not a good option to leave it.

If I get more involved here then I'll write up a detailed method to do it and post it. That's IF wink

But future upgrades really should not be done this way (imho) for the average user/customer.

I've only been around the board now for a couple months and this topic has to be the #1 question/issue posted by customers of the product.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
When doing installs/upgrades I normally ask where they want it installed, in the same directory or a new directory. Most choose a new directory so they can leave the old one fully intact. It makes it easier for them to go back and match their old styles, settings, etc.

The only real benefit in installing into the same directory is that if you have old links to the main ubbthreads.php script in that directory, they will still work without a redirect. Everything else, the process is pretty much the same. You have to keep the redirect scripts in place.

And this only applies to UBB.threads. Any UBB.classic customers that have upgraded have to install into a new directory. Well, in theory they could install into the old ubb directory but that just gets messy. wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

The product name should've been changed altogether, like the original plan alluded to. Then this point would be moot. No matter what it's called, tho, it's brand new software, not an update. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No matter what it's called, tho, it's brand new software, not an update.

ROFLMAO - Now that's a bit hard to swallow. Granted it might be a complete rework of the code but to say it's brand new software (as though not related is a bit of a stretch).

I get where you're coming from but I still have to stand my ground as I've been doing installs/upgrades both workstation level and Enterprise Server level and there are a few applications (Adobe Acrobat Reader is one) that ignore the same path/file/prefs/etc... update but then again they come from a MAC background which is quite like Linux methods of install.

I've installed and upgraded Enterprise software from a few hundred dollars to over $100K and none of them upgrade to a different path. They add a ton of features maybe but your prefs and path etc remain the same.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by ntdoc
ROFLMAO

[Goodfellas]
What did ya say? Funny how? You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little (messed) up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering (man) ya. Rick, was he shaking?
[/Goodfellas]

laugh laugh wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm not sure what the main disagreement here is. Yes, you can install into the same directory, but it's usually easiest and the customers have wanted us to install into a new directory. You have the option of doing it either way.

Even though this is still called UBB.threads it is essentially a new product. It's a combination of .classic and .threads. Which is why we have to actually import the data into it. All of our prior upgrades have been done by installing into the same directory. This is the first and more than likely the last time this will ever happen.

Because so much has changed, most people want the old software to still run as well as the new software for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Again, like I said, how it's installed is up to the user. I wouldn't recommend the average user to do an install into the same directory as it gets complicated and you'll end up with no way to go back to your old board and see how things looked, etc. I always ask how the customer wants it installed when doing upgrades, so it's not forced on anyone.

Personally, I rather like the option. It always bugs me when you do an upgrade and you have no way to go back to look at the old install again...kinda like when upgrading from IE6 to IE7.

But anyway, it's a one time thing. As you can see with the upgrades from 7.0 to 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 they are done in place as all of our other upgrades have been except for the 6.x -> 7

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay boss - I'll drop it. Sounds good. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29