Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
I've noticed (unless I'm missing it) that when you are reading a PM you have no direct way of deleting it and you have to delete it from the index.

My users will never delete any messages if thats the case, so can we please have a way to delete a PM from the page you are reading within the message itself.

OR.. better still, have a check box that we can select as checked or not by default that will delete the message once replied to or something.

I have so many PM's that no one ever deletes and not having a delete option will only help to increase it.

Thanks

Join Europes biggest BMW M Car owners site
M-Torque - www.mtorque.co.uk
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There should be a button at the bottom of the PM that states "Remove myself from this topic". You're not technically deleting a pm, you're just removing yourself from it wink... It still exists for the other users involved...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
I did see that, but had no idea what it meant, and I don't think my users would understand that either.

We need a clear DELETE button not a drop down option because people will not use it otherwise.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Edit the associated language string to say "delete" wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
I could change the "remove myself from this topic" text, BUT does it actually DELETE the item.. It just says it will remove your access to the topic..

Last edited by MattUK; 12/31/2006 8:02 AM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm 99.9% certain it does not delete your entries.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
well a load of 'deleted' pms were imported for users on my forums - so not sure.

If it is not deleted I can see the database blooming to a rather large size!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Ian
well a load of 'deleted' pms were imported for users on my forums

The import process will carry over any PMs that you've deleted IF the other person did NOT delete it. That's just how it works, for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by MattUK
I could change the "remove myself from this topic" text, BUT does it actually DELETE the item.. It just says it will remove your access to the topic..

As for this, though, I'm really not sure if it's deleted once everyone "removes themselves" from the topic.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You do not ever delete the topic, well unless you're the last one to remove yourself from the topic, more than one user belong to every topic so it remains in the database for the other users.

By clicking "remove myself from this topic" from wihthin the pm is the same as clicking "Delete" on the main pm listing.

If you, rick, myself, and jgeoff for example all have the same pm, clicking "delete" from outside will remove you from the topic, and leave the topic in place for rick, myself, and jgeoff; this is the same for if you where to click the "remove myself from this topic" button.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Good clarification, Giz.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
figured one was needed wink

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Oh god, no hope of any messages ever being deleted then if both sides have to delete them

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by MattUK
Oh god, no hope of any messages ever being deleted then if both sides have to delete them
Better than one participant deleting the private topic that has 15 other participants...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure how to really implement but suppose it could use some type of alert to Admin or something to delete at some time, but then you'd get into disagreement on when/why/how to remove and some may not like it going to Admin either.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Hehe you try and add a nice feature and it ends up biting you in the ass

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
For note, you can't add or kick out participants at this time; I'm hoping that we'll have such functionality at a later date, at least as an admin/mod... though if you where going to allow it for mods in their pm's, they shouldn't be able to kick an admin from the pt wink

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Two questions:
- how to keep the tables to a reasonable size if pm's never got removed (deleted)??

- just switched to 7.0.2 and imported everything from 6.X (thanks Rick!), BUT, all the pm's that the users ever wrote/received are in their inbox again! They are not happy with it, especially since they deleted them and expecting also that it would be gone from the server. They wonder now how much 'stay' on my server/db while they considered it as gone!! How should I explain this?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
AFAIK PM's DO get deleted, but only when there are no participants in a pm.

This is a downside of the pm import, it was either everyone got relinked, or no pm's got imported... A minor inconvieniance over loosing everything you ever recieved.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
How to explain it:

There is more than one person in a pm, if you where to delete a pm completley it would remove it from the server, thus removing it for the other user as well.

When importing, the onlyway to associate pm's to users and properly import was to restore all messages for every user. this is why users recieve pm's they deleted in the past, and why the admin gets a copy of EVERY welcome message sent in the past.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Thanks! So, just to be sure:

Since most of my users PM's are mails between 2 users, this means that when both 'remove' themselves, then the pm is gone?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by femistyle
Since most of my users PM's are mails between 2 users, this means that when both 'remove' themselves, then the pm is gone?

That's correct.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by femistyle
Thanks! So, just to be sure:

Indeed so; as long as all users are unsubscribed from the topic (regardless how many there where, you can have any amount of users in a pm, from 1 to whatever the limit is in the control panel (admin's subvert the limit because they're just that cool) the private topic is purged.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Exactly. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29