Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#173125 01/11/2007 5:29 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You can use this thread to discuss the 7.1 release including the betas. You can and should still use the other forums as usual such as bug reports, feature suggestions etc., We've created this forum to clean up the acutal announcement forum a bit so important replies to announcement posts will be easily viewable.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

This could get a little confusing laugh

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hopefully not. There are times that I want to just post a reply to an announcement post instead of making a new one altogether, but with all of the other posts in it, it would tend to get lost.

So anytime I make an announcement post I'll add a link to a post here to discuss it.

Addict
Addict
This answers why I was no longer able to post to the other one. smile

I was asking about the importance of doing a back-up before upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1 as my server space is very tight in adding back-up data to it.

I also asked how often is the back-up actually needed when doing this kind of an upgrade.

I had always previously successfully done upgrades without doing any back-up, therefore, I am, or was, thinking of doing the same thing again.

As a result of the replies in the other thread, what is the absolute minimum back-up required in case the back-up is needed?

Will backing up the database tables only be sufficient, or do I need to back-up the whole site?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The normal worry is the database tables. Just in case any of the upgrades with altertables mess them up, so it should be common practice to do a database backup before hand.

It's also handy to backup your includes, styles, and cache_builders directories. You're never supposed to overwrite these unless specifically told to do so, but some people have on accident. So backing up these directories is a good safeguard as well.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Rick
You're never supposed to overwrite these unless specifically told to do so, but some people have on accident.

Thanks for not mentioning my name. blush laugh

Too bad my db is 306MB data + 160MB indexes. I don't even have the space to back it up right now. :/

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not tru jgeoff, you can make backups on your computer through a tool like SQLYog; assuming you can access your MySQL database from out side of your webspace.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

You're probably right but that's a big download (and especially upload if I need it) :/
I'll just have to order more space, or, erase my Classic data finally! wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol, i still haven't fully purged my classic data... i purged the member data, just haven't had the time to purge forum or cgi data lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Geoff who you hosting with if that's all the space you get, or do you have a bunch of other stuff taking up space?

I get 35GB of space with my host provider and 2TB of traffic a month.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have 10gb space, 200gb bw per month on my vps; for free though since it's paid off from the old jobby job...

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Not tru jgeoff, you can make backups on your computer through a tool like SQLYog; assuming you can access your MySQL database from out side of your webspace.

What do you mean by "assuming you can access your MySQL database from out side of your webspace"???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your host provider may not allow you to connect to your database if the connection is not local to the system. i.e. you would not be able to setup a connection between your home computer and your host provider to the database.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Geoff who you hosting with if that's all the space you get, or do you have a bunch of other stuff taking up space?

I get 35GB of space with my host provider and 2TB of traffic a month.

I get only 4.5GB space and 100GB transfer from ASO, which is barely enough for the 17 sites hosted on my account. Maybe I need to switch hosts -- or at least ask them to get a bit more current. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well as I'm sure you're aware there are thousands of hosting companies. I won't say mine is without their issues but overall they seem to rank pretty well and I've been with them for about 3 years now.

MidPhase in Chicago, Ill.
http://midphase.com/html_files/hosting_plan.php

Maybe check with your provider first and let them see if they can attempt to match something a bit closer or let them know otherwise you may have to switch providers.

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I just started using powweb for other sites, not for the board. I get 40gig space 800 gb bandwidth

I have some sites on Powweb also smile -- sadly only as a private testing site for a forum before it gets uploaded to my dedicated server. So I can't comment on running a big board on Powweb.

Powweb is pretty good -- Rocky transition over the last couple months since they got sold but it appears the new owner has everything fixed up and running.

You do get a huge amount of space and tools.

Plus Powweb is very inexpensive

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Daryl Fawcett
What do you mean by "assuming you can access your MySQL database from out side of your webspace"???
Most webhosts do not allow connections to the server from ip's outside of the server; this means that you cannot run a script on your computer to connect to your mysql server on your site; some servers however allow you to set your mysql configuration to allow this anyway.

Originally Posted by jgeoff
I get only 4.5GB space and 100GB transfer from ASO, which is barely enough for the 17 sites hosted on my account. Maybe I need to switch hosts -- or at least ask them to get a bit more current. wink
If you threaten to leave for another deal they will generally work with you; just quote prices from other sites like www.webintellects.com or www.powervps.com

If you do move, Id highly advise you look up the host and their owners (some companys have numerous sub companies that offer better deals) through WebhostingTalk, but keep in mind that some webhosts are horrid in the first place, so be sure to look up everything you can.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Maybe each new announcement deserves its own discussion thread, with corresponding subject title?

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
can we discuss the pros and cons of a discussion thread wink

J
J Offline
Thanks for the 7.1B4. I am hoping to install it tonight.

I would like to update my custom style sheet before I do the upgrade to keep the downtime to a minimum. When I "Export with Wrapper" my custom style sheet I get a text file named "mystyle_with_wrapper.txt".

Can you post the content of the default exported style sheet (txt file) so that I can see exactly how to add the 3 new stylesheet classes (.newtotal, .popup_content, and .post-buttons) to my custom stylesheet before I do the upgrade?

I have downloaded and looked through the upgrade files (in /styles) and I see that the content of ubbthreads_1.css is much different then "mystyle_with_wrapper.txt". I am guessing that the UBB sw stores the different parts of the style sheet separately and then assembles it into a txt file for export.

I know that this is not a big issue, but it would be nice to be able to do. An uploaded stylesheet.txt file with the new parts in red would be very useful.

Thanks!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Ian
can we discuss the pros and cons of a discussion thread wink

Pros: Keeps the Announcements forum cleaner

Cons: Confusion & redundancy. Thoughts on particular announcements located elsewhere; and so far not in dedicated reply threads. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
it was a tounge in cheek comment wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Mine, too (kinda wink ) laugh

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Addict
Addict
With the 7.1b4 release to the Members Area, when will the 7.1 release take place in the Members Area?

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Depends upon the number of bugs found and fixed after the public beta release.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The exported style is actually an exported PHP array that holds all of the classes and their associated settings. You'd have to hand edit the actually exported style and then reimport it, which is a bit tricky as it will break if the php syntax isn't correct.

When doing the upgrade, you can actually reopen your forums before worrying about updating your styles. Basically, it won't break anything, the new classes will just be unstyled until you edit them, so you don't have to extend the downtime.

That's what I did here when I updated wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Maybe each new announcement deserves its own discussion thread, with corresponding subject title?

I was thinking about that as well. That might be the best route.

R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
ive upgraded okay, except the header on some of the portal boxes doesnt appear, the online box for example, and the search portal doesnt have any text on the buttons or a title header... I have uploaded the whole languages folder again but no joy...

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You might need to clear your cache in the control panel to force all of the content islands to be rebuilt.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks just got 7.1b4 - didn't see it as I don't normally come in at the Portal page, but since you have it there the date and time is wrong and don't show an edit date either.

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Version 7.1 beta 4 is in the Members Area by Rick Thu Jan 11 2007 05:22 AM

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
For the people worried about the stylesheet updates; just do the import, then edit your stylesheet; the standard upgrade procedure is to not overwrite your style data.

The new items can be found in the style editor and will simply be blank, you can update them from here.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
if people do update the stylesheets (especially the original authors), can they update them in the styles folder here & ubbdev tx

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I plan to make sure they're all updated for 7.1 final (well, mine anyway)

K
K Offline
The WordPress team rolled out a fix/workaround for a major PHP bug that was just announced:

http://wordpress.org/development/2007/01/wordpress-207/

Will Groupee do something similiar for UBB.threads?

http://www.hardened-php.net/hphp/zend_hash_del_key_or_index_vulnerability.html

K
K Offline
For reference, this is the fix implemented by the WordPress team:

http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/4717

R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
You might need to clear your cache in the control panel to force all of the content islands to be rebuilt.

This didnt do the trick

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
kieyeoci, i think that'd be best in its own topic vs hijacking this one...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
hmmm. strange - do you have a link to your forums?

R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Yes, here. You will notice the search, whos online and the top posts header do not even appear. Everything else seems okay though. 7.1b4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29