Print Thread
Hop To
#178804 02/20/2007 6:13 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi
I've been running 6.7.1 for a few years now very successfully.
However, of late, the 'posting' times are extremely slow.
Resulting in lots of double posts.

I don't think it's a particularly big forum...
3400 members
22500 posts in 3497 topics on 17 forums

I got in touch with my hosts as I felt this was more likely to be a hosting problem, and they replied....

Hi - hear what you are saying and see what you are seeing - however I dont think you heard what I was asking - what is it actually doing when its hanging?

What do the suppliers tech sup say? See you may have
been using this for years, but the threat profile that we face changes, and we make changes to the environments around which and on which your code is stored, processed and delivered.

Its likely that the site is trying to pull in some data from somewhere that is blocked, post some data somewhere its not allowed to, contact another site, fetch some data or picture from a remote location - something like that.

We do many things that remain unsung, often spending a great deal of time trying to make it look like we sit on our hands doing nothing and service is same as normal. SO - what I am saying is let us know what the code is doing. If you dont know then ask the supliers.

If you still dont know we can try and trace it or debug it for you.

Random gut feeling says an external call is being attempted that does not appear in the egress filter (all external calls have to appear in the white list - additions are vetted).

Thanks for getting back to us, and we do believe you (even if it renders up just fine - I hear you on posting).

We now have something to be doing on this.

Regards

Does anyone in Infopop world have any ideas what could be going on please -- my members are not happy frown

Thanks.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Link please? (As I don't think you own google.com wink )

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Link please? (As I don't think you own google.com wink )

I KNEW I shouldn't have sold them that name.... frown

Last edited by Gizmo; 04/06/2007 10:41 PM. Reason: Removed URL at user request.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Hmm... odd, because your forums are loading up very quickly for me - even the search is fairly quick.

You seem to have many external content islands, but I don't think that's enough to effect your forum... have you always had these content islands successfully? Are there any other features you've added around the same time the posting problem started?

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.

Yes, the pages load reasonably well - but when 'posting', it takes an age.

Usually the page hangs and the user clicks and clicks again - resulting in multiple posts.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I understood what you meant - but wanted to see how the overall performance was... If I think of something, I'll let you know!

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Much appreciated smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Perl/flat file is horridly slow in the first place, php/sql will be much faster.

Most of the default viewed conten in .c rolls through a php interpreter and the cache; whereas posting gors through perl and writes to flat files which could be b0gged down by general recourse usage on the machine itself

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, One of the MAJOR problems in your version of the UBB as many of the UBB.classic is when you have a large board and are running the full mail features. When posting the lag time is caused when many of the users in long threads request a post reply email. Each post sends out an email to everyone in that thread telling him or her that a new post has been placed on the system.

I do not know how to turn off just that feature but I have edited the template code removing the post reply check box from the posting pages with an editable variable in the top of the ultimatebb.cgi file to turn it off or on.

This will cut down your email traffic off your server and allow posting to resume at a reasonable speed once again. I do not know how to disable all the post reminders that have been placed previous to my change on my system but as the single threads die out the board will get much faster.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm pretty sure the code that sends out the emails upon posting could be commented out. Good catch lock, I never thought about those. smile

A couple things that help in general with posting speed is to turn the quickreply box on (saves the building of the reply page) and if your users use the reply page make sure the i-frame for prior replies is turned off.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi guys - thanks for the input - much appreciated smile
To be honest - I wouldn't have the first idea where to begin editing that code.

There is another side to this issue though...
It's not only when posting that weird things happen.

For instance, one guy was having great fun with making multiple posts so I thought I'd reset his post count.
The same thing happens in the control panel.

Every time I hit 'submit' the page hangs...
So perhaps this is not just an email issue?

(I have downloaded threads - but it's going to take a while before I go live - and this double post count is driving me nuts frown )

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
hmm.. I'm not sure what the issue with the control panel is but I used to have a user that would spam constantly, having pages of posts all her own as she would talk to herself, in every topic, in every forum. She was ruining it for the rest as she would take all topics off topic with stream-of-conscious type banter. She had mental issues (seriously) so I couldn't ban her. I did get it mostly stopped by editing the code with a mod Graeme and LK mostly wrote. She couldn't respond to any topic if she was the past poster in that topic - helped tremendously as she could focus a lot better if others had brought the topic back on course.

I think we called the mod "Anti-Gizmo", you can find it here:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/203379

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:GRRR: lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi guys
Thanks again for the feedback.

However, it appears that this mod doesn't work in 'server hang' mode.

After hitting 'submit' the page was hanging so I took the opportunity of re-submitting the page in the same way that my members do.

Unfortunately - I still ended up with multiple posts frown

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Turn on flood check, it'll kill the multiple posts problem.

Email aside, the code isn't making calls to or from anyplace else. Your hosts was right, there's nothing like that showing up in the logs because it doesn't do anything like that.

UBB.classic being a flat file system has to do nothing more than open and write to a bunch, I mean a BUNCH, of files when you post to it.

I was about to go on, then I looked at your site and found a UBB.threads 7.1. ooooooooook

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
he sensed your rant? lol

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wasn't going to be a rant. Was going to be an explanation of what .classic is doing when you post, which is what his host asked for. Following that was a list of things to look for and check for. Don't think any of it matters though. I'm researching .classic, he's running .threads.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol, rather fun to try and support one product when he's running the other huh :x... I usuall find it the other way though...

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Aahh - sorry, I wandered away from this thread as I had so many problems.

I HAD to start running threads (since 2-3 days ago) as the problems with double posts were out of control.

Everything has now been resolved with the take-up of threads.
I don't know what the answer was, never will now.

But I'm happy with threads.

(Flood check was enabled BTW)
... is it possible it was something to do with spider friendly urls, maybe?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
That serves flat html using precached pages. Possibly maybe, but I doubt it. Especially if you had the php wrapper turned on. Spider friendly shouldn't have effected much of anything, especially in terms of posting. The data files are the same regardless of spider friendly on or off.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I too highly doubt it was the spider friendly; if anything it would have been causing less load since it only utilizes the cache vs building the output everytime something would be accessed...

But glad to hear you got sorted away!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29