Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
go figure that i start finding errors after private beta :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
That's what 7.11 is for.

old hand
old hand
What files have changed since 7.1 Beta 5? I'd prefer not overwriting all files if not 100 percent necessary.

Basil

old hand
old hand
I think I just answered my own questoin. In the Upgrade_Changes.txt file it says:

VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: admin/changeuser.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: admin/selectprunethreads.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: libs/ubbthreads.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/addpost.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/adduser.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/doexpirethreads.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/grabnext.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: templates/default/admin/selectprunethreads.tmpl

So if I'm already running 7.1 Beta 5, then are these the only files I need to upload and do I still need to run teh Upgrade.php file?

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
As far as I know you will need to upload all files except those in the directories that you should avoid, like includes and styles etc.

I just used a compare package, and imported all my changes into the new files and uploaded.

Nice and simple smile

Old Hand
Old Hand
Update Done. Runs very smooth without any problems. The only thing is to take time for modify any style. Thanks.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Basil, you always need to run the upgrade.php file, with every upgrade. This step can never be skipped as it updates the version # in the database and a couple other things as well.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I change online.tpl to display the mood in front of the name. This looks nicer and cleaner.
The only problem is a long username like Axes_Gorgoneyes on my site. How do I add a nowrap in this place?
Another Idea is to put the mood in the second line of the status field.
Attachments
378-Capture-1.gif

Last edited by Zarzal; 02/21/2007 1:03 PM.

Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G Offline
For the life of me, I can not find the style which changed and now assume it is hard coded which impacted the left and right margins for the body (outside main div) I have used. Since I did not upload/change the styles folder during today's upgrade, I assume it is hard coded in the base code. I changed nothing except apply the upgrade as I had fixed all the styles with b4.

Any idea what this may be from b4 to final as I can't find it myself looking at the source? Why I ask is I have used HEADER INSERT for my site styles with 50px left and right margin (Safari and Firefox - off for IE).

I am a Superstar! Testing signature here
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey Rick, any change in the private group's final and the public final?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Looks good. Question about the Recent Visitors page. I don't particularly want everyone seeing the data about search engine spiders whatever, preferring all "guests" to just be "guests". Can we turn that off so that it doesn't mention the spiders and just includes them in the normalguests?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Rick
Basil, you always need to run the upgrade.php file, with every upgrade. This step can never be skipped as it updates the version # in the database and a couple other things as well.

Thanks Rick, but I'm still not clear on whether I can get away with just uploading the files that your Upgrade_Changes.txt file says have changed since 7.1 Beta 5? I would assume that if I'm already running 7.1 Beta 5 and have all those files, that I would only need to upload the files that have changed since:

VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: admin/changeuser.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: admin/selectprunethreads.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: libs/ubbthreads.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/addpost.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/adduser.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/doexpirethreads.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: scripts/grabnext.inc.php
VERSION-7.1:CHANGED: templates/default/admin/selectprunethreads.tmpl

Is my assumption correct? (I ask because I have made some minor template mods like adding some additional links in the Navigation menus, etc that I'd rather not have to re-do if not necessary.

Basil

Last edited by Basil; 02/22/2007 10:54 AM. Reason: Fat Fingers
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Basil - each file has the version number within it - therefore I think you will have to upload all files.

In any event I would use Beyond Compare - I have changes and was able to compare, import my changes, upload and run the upgrade script within a 30 minute period.

Similar compare packages are available.

Addict
Addict
I am doing the upgrade right now, however, I seem to be hung up on the "altertable" step.

How long does this normally take to complete this step?

Addict
Addict
I am still hung up on the altertable step, howevwer, I just discovered my alloted space is all used up.

They have now temporarily given me an additional 1200 Mb of space.

Addict
Addict
They said it will take about 10 mins. to show up on my Site Admin.

It is still trying to do the altertable step.

Everything went OK to that point.

Addict
Addict
I hope Rick will be on here soon.

Addict
Addict
I am still waiting for the increased 1200 Mb of space to appear on my Site Admin. screen.

Addict
Addict
Should I stop this step, or leave it alone in hopes that, when the 1200 extra Mb of space shows, it will continue to work?

Addict
Addict
I am fearing that trying to do a backup may have become a deadly mistake.

Old Hand
Old Hand
now I changed it like this:
Attachments
380-Capture-1.gif

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Looks good smile makes a nice change smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can make it so that data is shown only to registered members, this can be done by changing the "tick" in the online.inc.php file in the scripts/ directory.

"regonly" => 0,
"admin_only" => 0,

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
thanks. But can we make it so that that spider info details are not shown to anyone? I just don't want users to see all that.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
I see the files that are different from UBB 7.0, but if I'm running 7.1b5 now, what's the diff between 7.1b5 and 7.1? I'm wondering if ther differences between those two are worth going through an upgrade =)

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
A few bug fixes

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hey Rick, any change in the private group's final and the public final?
'eh i found this out for myself with beyond compare; the only changed files in private 7.1 final and public 7.1 final is the ubb_lib fix and the newuser template file; one of which i already had patched lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
Guys, I'm having real trouble with seeing the value of this upgrade. Mood symbols?? You've got to be kidding. What VALUE does that add?

My users want to be able to
--Search beyond ONE YEAR
--Use Spellchecker
--Upload member photos

and I want to be able to
--see an interactive list of all Islands and where they are posted
--add/edit calendar items easier
--have more member admin functions
--post external islands anywhere within a domain

Real value, not superficial modifications.

Admittedly I'm getting my info from the announcement listing, not from any beta test experience.

Now, the CAPTCHA seems useful - as most security features are, but all in all, "Where's the Beef?"

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can change your max search length in the cp; you can search any ammount of dates.

Spellcheck does not exist in the ubb because of the vast array of words in the english (and foreign) dictionaries it'd have to use a remote service; as remote services are unreliable it'd be a pain to have it as an official feature; there is however a modification at ubbdev.

Members can upload photos, with the attachment system.

You can see where your islands are used at the portal settings.

Can't comment on your other ones though.

Captcha was my main goal with testing for 7.1, i made the suggestions before 7.0 was finalized.

You can grab a full list of added features and bux fixes in the changelog.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
There is a lot more than just 'mood symbols'.

Different new features are far more important to some forums than your requirements - whereas yours are more important than theirs.

Maybe you have no use for multiple languages, but other sites do.

Others have benefited from full post tracking or the ability to have bans of varying lengths, or maybe the ability to auto-delete move pointers for posts after a set period of time etc.

Don't get me wrong your requests are all valid and I am looking forward to some of your requests being added - but don't forget that 7 was a complete rewrite from 6.x and so there has had to be further modifications to the code behind the scenes to enable features to be added in the next version and beyond.

As for a spellchecker then FireFox 2 is your answer wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
And before i hear 'i shouldnt have to change my browser', i believe the google toolbar has spellchecking abilities, and i believe there are a bunch of modules for IE (iespell for example) that can do that ability

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Bill B
Guys, I'm having real trouble with seeing the value of this upgrade. Mood symbols?? You've got to be kidding. What VALUE does that add?

My users want to be able to
--Search beyond ONE YEAR
--Use Spellchecker
--Upload member photos

and I want to be able to
--see an interactive list of all Islands and where they are posted
--add/edit calendar items easier
--have more member admin functions
--post external islands anywhere within a domain

Real value, not superficial modifications.

Admittedly I'm getting my info from the announcement listing, not from any beta test experience.

Now, the CAPTCHA seems useful - as most security features are, but all in all, "Where's the Beef?"

I tend to agree about the mood thingy - maybe if I was 30 years younger I'd be excited, although I do rather like the "online" indicator function they provide.

But to be fair, there have been some important improvements since 7.0, most notably the post-tracking improvements and certainly the CAPTCHA is exceedingly valuable. As for searching beyond 1 year - as someone already pointed out that can be set in CP to any period of time you want (but remember, the longer the period you allow the more load on your SQL server).

All that being said, however, I'm not a big fan of bells and whistles for the sake of bells and whistles. I want features that would be of interest to (and used by) my members. To be honest, before I opted to go with Threads 7, I had been evaluating another, relatively recent forum product and in fact hold a license for that "other" product. Ultimately, the other product had more "bells and whistles" than Threads 7, but I decided that many of those bells and whistles were not really useful to my members, just gee-whiz stuff that probably would amuse the admin more than be of use to members. Thus, I opted for Threads 7 instead.

Basil

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The guys above answered the "where's the beef" question pretty good. I'll add just another note on this. When deciding features, I have a long list of requests, go through the feature request forum and make some decisions.

1) I'll usually pick a couple major ones that will take awhile or require a large bit of code to be rewritten. For 7.1, that was CAPTCHA and the multiple language option.

2) I'll then tackle a couple of things that the feature already exists but needs to be tweaked or made better. For 7.1, it was active topics, deleting posts, banning users, moved topics, ignored users, and a couple more.

3) Then I'll add a few small features. These are usually ones that have been on the wishlist the longest or have the most frequent requests. For 7.1, one of those was an actual online indicator next to each post. That was a feature that was requested many moons ago and came up from time to time because product x or y had it and we didn't. I decided to expand on this a bit and make moods tie into the online indicator to make them a bit more multipurpose.

And that's about the extent of it. You get some new major features, some improvements to existing features, and some new minor features.

Some releases are going to be more exciting to some users than they are to others but I do try and get a couple things into each release that everyone can benefit from.

old hand
old hand
I modified my online.tpl also, but a little different:

Attachments
390-online2.jpg

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
what did you change to who's online. It seems very slow to update when you hit the site and the cache times are acting wierd ?

It says there are more on the site then there are or it is not diplaying who is on the site. Acting wierd. what is the optimum setup for this site. I am not using a portal page.

Happy Customer !!!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The data on the WOL's content island is cached, whereas the data on the full page is not; so the numbers will generally always be off from one to the other.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like it Basil

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
there are 2 areas to setup WOL. the General section and under portal setup.. they seem to interact..

Happy Customer !!!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Who's Online Timeframe (general) is how long since they've been on; as the page data is cached it basically gives you the option of how long to list users being online; some sites like to show how many users visited in the day, in the hour, etc.

The cache time (in portal settings) is for how long the data is on the island is cached; this would be the basic stats that show on the island itself (how many users who where online and all that fun stuff)

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Ok then I have a question. If it says there are 5 anonymous online in the stats window shouldn't it show a list of 5 anonymous online still in the wol list of users and exactly where they have been and how long ago?

Happy Customer !!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29