Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#179549 02/27/2007 12:25 AM
M
M Offline
I have a user of UBBT7.0 who received an approval notice but complains that he cannot log in. I checked the list of members and found no mention of him. If he tries to register again, UBBT says he's already registered. So he's stuck halfway in and halfway out.

Any suggestions how I can clear this member and start fresh?

TIA!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If he's not in the member registration queue then you could try looking in the reserved nicknames and see if theres something presant there; if not, see if th eforgot password screen can find any mention of him.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
M Offline
Using the "Forgot Password" function as you suggested, I can enter his email and the system says his password has been sent. Entering his username instead, it says "Not found."

Where does this lead you?

TIA...

M
M Offline
BTW, I recall in the old UBBC there was some maintenance function you ran that, among other things, would clean up orphan user records. It would also actually delete registrations so that users who were declined or deleted could re-register. Does such a utility exist in UBBT?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
In threads if a user is declined or deleted the username is automatically open for re-registering.

If entering the email is working ok on the forgot password screen but the username isn't then that means that email address is attached to a different username which would be included in the email. To find out for sure, you can enter the email address in the member management screen to search for it.

M
M Offline
Next step: I did a search for his email in the Member Maintenance area. I found two of his workmates, but not this member record.

Next step: I logged myself out (admin) and attempted to register anew with the credentials this user provided. This is the response:

This Login Name is already in use. Please choose a different Login Name.

Next step: I attempted to register again using a minor variant of the Login Name (same everything else). This is the response:

This Display Name is already in use. Please choose a different Display Name.

Next step: I attempted to register again using a minor variant of the Login Name AND a minor variant of the Display Name. This is the response:

The email address you have chosen is already in use by another user. Please use a different email address.

Next step: Next step: I attempted to register again using a minor variant of the Login Name AND a minor variant of the Display Name AND one of my own email addresses. This is the response:

Your account has been created. Thank you for registering on our forums. You need to verify your email to activate this account. You will receive an email shortly with instructions for verifying your email. If this account isn't verified within 24 hours it will be deleted.

Aha!

Next step: I logged in as admin and approved this registration. Email received "Your registration of [name] at [UBBT URL] has been approved."

Next step: I went to Memeber Management and did a search for my email address. None found. I manually scanned member list. No entry for this member.

Argh!!

Next step: I attempted to log in the the specified username/password. Top right of screen: "Welcome [display name]" but message: "Please log in."

Next step: I logged this user out. Top right of screen: "You are not logged in."

Next step: I went to Forgot Password" and entered Login Name. The response is: "Can't find the email address for [blank]." Blank, eh?

Next step: I went to Forgot Password" and entered Email address. The response is: "Password Mailed"

Next step: I retrieved email and attempted to log in with temporary password. Top right of screen: "Welcome [display name]" but message: "Please log in."

CONCLUSION: Whatever problem I am having with UBBT7 it is reproducable. But it is past 11pm and my head hurts. I;m going to bed. I hope all this will trigger some idea on the part of the experts who frequent this forum (especially Mr. Baker).

FINAL THOUGHT: What if I inadvertently disabled ALL the default forums for new members. Would this prevent me from being able to access the member in the Member Management area. It shouldn't. Something to try tomorrow...

M
M Offline
I couldn't resist. My Default Groups for New Members is set to User. Oh well.

Last edited by MISys DSB; 02/28/2007 12:32 AM.
M
M Offline
Also FWIW, my default Group for new Members is User. But If I go to Group Maintenance, no such Group is displayed. If I try to add User, the system says that Group already exists. Hmmm....

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Might need you to open a trouble ticket for this one so we can take a closer look. It's normal for you not to see the User group under Group Management and it can't be deleted or renamed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29