Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just upgraded from 7.0.2 to 7.1, and thought I would point out a problem -- hope it helps others.

The process updates files or creates files in the /languages and languages/english folders, yet the permissions on my site were not set to allow it.

I only recently installed 7.0.2 from scratch and followed the install instructions. However, in the section "Set File & Directory Permissions", it does NOT specify that these folders or files' permissions should be changed.

It caused me a bit of head-scratching, but once I set the permissions to enable write access, the upgrade continued.

It would be nice if the initial install instructions, or else the upgrade instructions, would note the requirement to set the permissions for that branch of folders and files.

I run the Premissions checker before the upgrade.
But if its not mentioned anywhere is a vaild point.

1. Check Permissions.
2. Check Files
3. Check Rick's online.
4. Proceed with update lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The permission checker in the installer only checks the permissions required to install for the first time.

The permissions checker in the installed product however checks the permissions globally on your install based on what all files and folders should be chmodded.

According to the permission checker, all files which can be written to should be chmodded 666, whereas all folders which will have data in them that can be written shoudl be chmodded 777

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
...all files which can be written to should be chmodded 666, whereas all folders which will have data in them that can be written shoudl be chmodded 777

Yes, they should have been at those values. However, the files were at 644, and folders at 755.

I had to manually set them to 666 and 777, which is the point I am trying to make: That the instructions should mention this.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, not ALL files/folders are required to be writeable for an install (as most people don't need to be able to use the language or template editors in the cp); hence why the permission checker won't look for them; some users don't want everything writable due to security concerns.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 932 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29