Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#180635 03/14/2007 8:55 AM
Is there (I don't think so) an admin option that can turn on/off the ability for a single user to send/receive a PM?

Once in awhile I get a user who tries to use our PM system for a bunch of spam and it would be nice to turn off his PM privileges as a warning to get the message that use of the PM system like that is not allowed.

While I can watch him and ban him if he continues I try not to do that unless people really break the rules.

Flyin V #180640 03/14/2007 10:53 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Not currently, but that's a very good idea and something I'll add to the todo list.

Rick #180665 03/14/2007 5:50 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think that adding the user to the "underaged" group restricts PM's... It's not a direct option, but one none the less...

In the future I would love to see a way to restrict PM's and editing the user profile as well...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #180676 03/14/2007 6:35 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I would also love to set a PM limit per user. Sometimes users do events that gets them loads of PM's, but we don't want to increase the limit for everyone.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #180680 03/14/2007 7:03 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I would also love to set a PM limit per user. Sometimes users do events that gets them loads of PM's, but we don't want to increase the limit for everyone.
You could make them a moderator temporarily; I believe there is no pm limit for "staff".

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #180682 03/14/2007 7:09 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You could make them a moderator temporarily; I believe there is no pm limit for "staff".

I don't want them to have no limit, I want to set them with with a higer limit. Setting them as moderator also gives them special access to certain forums.

I am also thinking about setting higher limits for users who buy services from our hosting sponsor. Ie, if you buy for them, we reward you with a much higher PM limit.

All in all, lots to say for setting PM limits per user besides the global setting smile And talking about PM's. How about allowing an admin/moderator to always send a PM, even if the users box is full. I still want to get my message out.

I now use a trick to temporarly set the PM limit higher before I send it.

Yarp #180683 03/14/2007 7:23 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
Setting them as moderator also gives them special access to certain forums.
You can set them as a moderator to no forums, then they recieve no special access to any forum...

though I do agree that we need more per user limits vs global limits; as sometimes increasing for some is better than increasing for many...

Gizmo #180685 03/14/2007 7:35 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
You can set them as a moderator to no forums, then they recieve no special access to any forum...

It doesn't give them moderator abilities in any forum, but settting them up as moderator gives them access to the moderators group. On our forum that's our 3 special supersecret wink staff only forums.

Let's see what the future brings us on the PM system!

Uses love the new topic system, but also hate it because they reach their limit a lot faster. They can't just save the interesting messages from a private thread and throw away the rest. I've set the limits higher to compensate that, but it's maybe (of lower priority imho) something to think about.

Yarp #180687 03/14/2007 8:24 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh was missunderstanding that one lol...

I love Private Threads, its how PM's worked in classic and makes a lot more sense than threads' Private Messages (and its way easy to track previous messages).

I do hope it's expanded, inviting people to a private topic after its been started is a nessessity imo...

Gizmo #180689 03/14/2007 8:38 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I do hope it's expanded, inviting people to a private topic after its been started is a nessessity imo...

Yep. Another suggestion, for Ubb.Threads v6.6 I made a getpms script. It showed every PM the user had on one large page.

Backup up their PM's local was just a matter of using the script, and copy/paste to a local file. The "show all" function I would love to have back in ubb.threads itselve then reprogrammering the show all PM's scripts.

It's kind of amazing how many scripts you have running that plug into the ubb database smile We upgraded last monday to UBB 7.1 and since then the only daylight I saw was the 20 second walk to the mailbox smile

Last edited by blaaskaak; 03/14/2007 8:39 PM.

Yarp #180694 03/14/2007 10:11 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I think "export pm" should be a definate option; so users can archive their pm's and prune them...

Gizmo #181616 03/27/2007 8:58 AM
stranger
stranger
I would further the suggestion so that PMs can be disabled on a group level. I use the forums in a school setting where PMs are not wanted. I'm trying to restrict them to group discussion, as opposed to just sending PMs to each other.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 875 guests, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29