Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#180940 03/19/2007 1:24 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Before I get going... I have been doing a bit of web design and site maintenance but don't really have any deep knowledge about servers etc. so my question(s) may seem shallow but I'm basically a shallow kinda guy and need things really spelled out. tongue

The situation is this.

This forum, http://www.bobdunsire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi has been run since inception by one man who died last Nov and the family turned to me to look after it since I was a good friend. The day to day stuff has been no problem but now we wish to u/g and this is where the trouble begins.

I have d/l the newest ver., placed it all on the server, fixed the permissions and that's the end.

When I reach step two,

Enter your Database Server Name, Database Name, Database User and Database Password into the appropriate fields. If you do not have this information, you will need to contact your host or MySQL documentation.

I did check with the host and they state that I am on a dedicated server? that they don't maintain s/w wise and have no record of the PHP or Mysql installation and are unable to help.

I'm lost. Should all this be in place from the old setup? If so, how do I find it. If not what next? We have some support credits availble from Groupee but Rick informs me that that's not a function they can help me with.

Would picking up the Mysql & PHP books for Dummies enable me to work this out on my own or is there someone who can work with a guy like me to get through this?

Also, I'm trying to install the new ver. so I can play with it before importing the old data. I used the demo for a few days and found some issues that Rick was going to clean up so I intend to use as much time getting comfortable with the new ver. as required. I'm in no rush and have lots of time to play around.

The forum is on a Windows server and I have no documentation as to how or if the database has been set up, name, p/w all that stuff so if you haven't realized by now, I'll state it again, I haven't a clue.

Anything to sort this out, even where to start will be greatly appreciated. Use small words and don't type too fast...

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by KmacK; 03/19/2007 1:31 PM. Reason: additional info.
KmacK #180945 03/19/2007 1:53 PM
Take it easy smile

You wont need any books or anything.

I'm sure someone running a windows server will help
you pretty soon, sorry i'm in unix so i cant advise.

Setting up a Database is a PHPADMIN thing in its simplest forum,
with a click or 2 then fill in the blanks.

Database Name
User Name
and Password.

You now have a database - it is that easy, no books required.
I'm sure help will be along soon.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark S #180959 03/19/2007 4:33 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The biggest thing will just be figuring out if you have PHP and MySQL installed, and if so..what version. Since I've never used a Windows machine at a hosting company, what type of access do you have to the server itself?

Rick #180967 03/19/2007 4:47 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
webhosts are only responsible to an extent, if you rent a dedicated server (which would be no suprise for a large site) they don't maintain software, user accounts, provide backups, etc.

As for finding out if MySQL and PHP are installed, thats not too hard in say linux (as you can just login via SSH and issue: which php and service mysqld status) however you're on windows, so you'd have to check the installed services (should whatever version allow you to easily do such), people can install things in all sorts of weird places on windows lol...

However, finding out the username for mysql will be a problem, as items aren't stored as plaintext and i don't know many admins who leave the passwords blank... though with knowledgeone can reset the mysql passwords but it takes a while... As it's windows, I woudln't know where to start, if it where a linux machine it'd be a sinch...

Normally I'd state that you should hire a server tech to take a look at things, but most that I know (myself included) don't deal with windows webhosting environments...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #180969 03/19/2007 4:49 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Rick;

I have full access through my remote desktop. This is the return from running the test script.
----------
UBB.threads Test
Checking PHP Version. Version 4.3 Required.
Your Version: 4.3.6 (OK)
Checking for mysql_connect() (OK)

It appears you have a valid version of PHP installed and that also PHP has been compliled with MySQL functions. As long as your MySQL version is 4.0 or greater then your system appears complatible with UBB.threads
---------------
Gizmo;

It all seemed simple at the outset but not so.

If someone could talk it through that would be a big help. I will pay for assistance and would prefer to do that over the phone. anyone who may be willing and able to help, send me an email with a number and I'll call when convenient. If for no other reason to decide I'm not up to this.

Ken

Last edited by KmacK; 03/19/2007 5:07 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29