Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#181429 03/23/2007 11:51 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Um... alright, here's what I would love some advice on.

I've got some pretty industrious spammers that are spamming our threads 6.5 install.

They have access to a large range of IPs so banning them even using wildcards isn't working.

They have been getting past our censor for their advertising material (i.e. text email address and website) by inserting color tags between letters in posts (i.e. add{TAG}re{TAG}s{TAG}s) which displays human readable but isn't caught by the censor, and putting together a censor with lots of wildcards can backfire badly (i.e. if the elements all occur within someone's post, censors their entire post).

Also, the censor doesn't seem to allow me to prevent them from linking out, as it ignores all text within a UBB tag - so I have all the URLS he links, but I can't stop him from doing it.

Are there ways to:

A) Get UBB.threads 6.5 to censor URLs within URL tags?

B) Get the UBB.threads censor to ignore inline tags in text?

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

AaronH #181442 03/23/2007 4:37 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm not sure how easy it'd be to achieve either A or B; the only real recommendation I can offer is to upgrade to UBB.Threads7.

UBB.Threads7 was recoded completely from UBB.Threads6, UBB7.1 comes with a CAPTCHA system which is a quite simple way to filter out spambot registrations...

In UBB.C6.7 I was plagued with spam, so much infact that I was planning to go to a differant product when both Threads and Classic where announced as being EOL and dev on 7 ceased last year; but when dev continued I was quickly one of the beta testers to help with some spam prevention and it worked flawlessly...

I went from about 30 spam messages a day, to 0 per month...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #181452 03/23/2007 6:37 PM
Addict
Addict
So Rick almost lost you to the competition. laugh

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
No, Infopop did, when they decided to tell all of their loyal users (including myself just after i purchased a gold license) to find something better to do with thier time wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 919 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29