Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#182448 04/11/2007 1:19 AM
T
T Offline
Here is our story; we are a non profit organization that shares the love and affection of our First Generation Monte Carlos’s. Hence the web site http://www.firstgenerationmontecarlo.com and http://www.fgmcc.com domains. Well we have been with jsl.com for years with a very good uptime and reliability. Jsl has decided to pull the plug and this is why we are seeking a new host.

We are not a mission critical operation by any means and we have agreed to use 1and1.com for a trial basis

Now the good stuff, our president of the fgmcc has agreed to the upgrade to 7.x from 6.3 as long as we can still have the same interface and current post stay intact. What I have done was imported the site into (MS) FrontPage in order to strip a lot of the non accentual files and folders. Then downloaded the other files we need for the cgi and ubb. After this was done I had to edit the url’s to the new domain @ http://www.firtsgenmc.com we have not edited the control panel yet to point to this new domain.

So what I am looking for is to use the http://www.firgtgenmc.com (new domain) as the beta site and run the patch to 6.3 then upgrade to 7.x. hoping for your assistance in this, to show the rest of the club it can be done without loosing what we already have. I guess my question is can you people here walk me thru this or give a hand in completing this? Can this be done?

I am using ms windows as I can not get my Red Hat AS to boot from cd once I installed my pci express 8800 graphic card.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is a large thread at UBBDev about experiances with 1and1, additionally I believe there are sevearal at www.webhostingtalk.com... They're very fickle, and I don't believe their MySQL will support your install (iirc they only allow 100mb mysql databases for starters, and their servers are quite anal).

As for upgrading, the interace between past products and UBB.T7 is totally differant, theres not much ability to change how it looks short of hacking templates; though a bit can be done with a style (I myself do styling work, as do others).

You'll need to upgrade your UBB.Classic to 6.7.3 then migrate over to UBB.Threads7, this is a requirement as the importer was created to work only within the 6.7 series and you will find issues trying to import prior versions.

I would also not recommend ever trying to edit the UBB files with FrontPage or FrontPage Extensions, you'll end up screwing up how data is stored and it'll basically destroy the files.

In the general forum there is a thread on upgrading from UBB.Classic 6.7 to UBB.Threads 7, it's pretty laid out on exactly what needs to happen.

Step one in your case would be copyng your old files to the new webspace and import; but keep in mind various 1and1.com issues this could end up halting all operations in the first place.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
According to their web site "MS SQL Server 2005 databases have a maximum capacity of 200 MB." if that is enough space, I would still like to move forward with this if you think it can happen. If they do not pan out (before 90 day trial) I am not shy about telling them were to get off.

The styling can be looked at after we get the site ( www.firstgenmc.com ) running while still in its beta.

The only thing I changed in the UBB and .cgi files was the url's from www.firstgenerationmontecarlo.com and www.fgmcc.com to www.firstgenmc.com

I believe I have all the necessary files on the new host @ www.firstgenmc,com hopefully… As we may have met a quota, or something at jsl.com is just not allowing ftp connections anymore. And with copying I am afraid it will copy other child sites that were added to our current host.

I guess what I am looking for here is the help of your knowledge to make this happen. I do not want to rely on the support of 1and1 as they more then likely will not know what I am talking about. Once I hear that this could very possibly work I will lobby for the money to start making the upgrade happen.

When I go to www.groupee.com it says it is still in beta and I would need an invite for a membership or something like that. I guess I can use the member link here on the forum; oppsie.

Lloyd

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think it MAY be able to happen, but in all honesty, you WILL hit obsticles... If you read around, not just at ubbdev, you'll hear plenty of horror stories about 1and1's services.

Groupee doesn't have their forum open to the public anymore, in fact i'm not entirely sure what's going on over there lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
Thanks Gizmo, I will try and convince the people on my end this is what we need to do. By no means am I a cheapskate although our x president was known as the cheapskate chiseler. The new President seems more willing to understand things do cost.

Obstacles are often considered challenges, and most the time I am up for the challenge; unless it is a Mopar that is. (LOL)

These being what I have to deal with 1and1 seems like a good candidate and trust me I will let you know if it does turn out that they suck…

Lloyd

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29