Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Can you add Group Permissions for the Shout Box.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
yes please smile

Most items should be group based, so that we can restrict features to certain people - maybe those who have paid a small membership fee.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Different Shout Boxes per Forum as well wink

But seeing as though the Shout Box appears to cause resource hogging issues for some sites that would surely bring them to their knees.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd like to see the shoutbox being group based as well, so one could remove users from the group if they abuse it...

I don't really like the idea of a forum only shoutbox though, it can be resource intensive for one; not to mention that the shoutbox is really meant as a quick place to post something globally.

Making the shoutbox a per forum thing would also make it harder to closely monitor it.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree with your thoughts Giz but I can also see where a large board could use it to their advantage as well.

When your site gets 1,000+ posts per day then there is no way a single Admin or Mod can watch it, you have to have multiple Mods at least and depending on your board it could be used as quick group announcements that only apply to those specific forums.

But currently the way it's implemented it does not appear it is resource friendly to use it in that manner regardless of what suggestions we make to use it or not.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could use a certain IRC modification *ahem* and setup multiple channels wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You could use a certain IRC modification *ahem* and setup multiple channels wink

You could if you were willing to move your site to one of a very limited few (at additional cost) that allow IRC

When searching for a new host provider one of the first things they often tell you is they DON'T ALLOW IRC

But hey it's a possibility grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You don't HAVE to run an IRC Server; that is way out of scope of the irc chat addon at ubbdev... Just becasue I choose to run an IRC server for my network doesn't mean you or anyone else does...

The addon is simply a java applet that connects to one of the millions of FREE IRC servers.

Again, you do NOT HAVE TO RUN an IRC SERVER to use the IRC CHAT ADDON as the chat addon is an IRC Client capable of connecting to IRC Servers.

I know of NO host which woudl not allow users to use a java irc client as the host that is forwarded is that of the users who connect as the java applet is run from the users machine.

Not to mention, if you wanted to run an irc server, you could just rent a shell account and forward an A record from your domain to there, thus not hosting an irc server on ones standard hosting wink

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cool, thanks for the clarification. grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, you could get a large list of various free irc servers (well I don't know of any that pay, but still) at SearchIRC, not to mention I allow users to use my network if they'd like wink

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Will this feature be incorporated in the next version? Only registered/logged in users should have the ability to see the Shout Box. It is a resource "hog" but users love it. This would help out...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It should only allow shouts by logged in users; non-logged in users should only be able to see it

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 452 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29